Jason128

Tory channel Entrance All ships call

There's no requirement to make a call to enter Wellington Harbour.

But in respect to not having at least a VHF, that would be a sad state and obviously very stupid to head  in to Cook Strait without even a a shitty $100 portable.

Let alone the noncompliance with the collision regs for the Tory Entrance.

1 hour ago, grantmc said:

There's no requirement to make a call to enter Wellington Harbour.

But in respect to not having at least a VHF, that would be a sad state and obviously very stupid to head  in to Cook Strait without even a a shitty $100 portable.

Let alone the noncompliance with the collision regs for the Tory Entrance.

Shows how much u know.

Another reason for compulsory licencing of skippers 

Incredible the people that live in the Wellington area being totally ignorant re the harbour rules. Don't know if they still do it but when I got my restricted radio licence it was emphasised the requirements re Tory ch, leaving and entering Wellington harbour.

"Recreational boaties are required call up Wellington Harbour Radio when transiting the entrance during restricted visibility or the hours of darkness."

http://www.gw.govt.nz/Beacon-Hill-Signal-Station/

Please be respectful of others. No one knows it all.

I am a commercially certified Skipper (MNZ SCO and Yachtmaster <24m, + RYA 200 ton commercially rated) and I completely reject compulsory licensing.  It does not work. Has not is Ausy, for example, except as a revenue gathering operation. Those who want to be responsible skippers will learn. Those who really should learn won't get licensed anyway..., and the costs of recreation boating, already high, will go up still more for no benefit.

I was being respectfull it.

I did not have a ! mark after the sentence.

Sorry if I sounded disrespectful I did not intend to convey that attitude.

It's. Statements like some being posted in other threads and topics denergrating the cg that incourages people to b casual. I attended the course run by the Wellington CG. In my opinion it was run by a most learned, well qualified tutor, very thorough who had excellent tutoring and communitive skills.

Wellington is one of the most dangerous harbours to enter in NZ. especially on dusk and during the hours of darkness. The ferries announce their intentions on the channel every time leaving and approaching the entrance. They do not state or did not state the times I was at the entrance whether they were entering or departing. Entering with my experiences with the issue they made the notice to beacon hill when they were out of view just around the corner just before turning the corner to the straight section that leads to cook strait and on entering the same not in view. We scanned the horizon saw no ferry and came to the conclusion perhaps it was a Tory ch situation. When it did come into view visionally  it was only meters from us. Fortunately we had radar and on the starboard side of the narrow entrance so no problem. Not so lucky some three months later a small fishing trawler decided to take a short cut via the passage through Barrett's reef and got run down with loss of live. With regards to licencing the same can be said about auto motor vehicles.

Rehabilitated I apologise for, and accept that I made an erroneous statement. I had always thought the requirement at Wellington Entrance was for commercial shipping only. But Section 6.1.1 of the Harbour regulations states the requirement for all vessels to call (with the visibility exception for pleasure craft mentioned under 6.1.2), I have learnt something today. Thank you. And I had certainly read those instructions on a number of occasions. I wasn't ignorant of them.

As an aside, the requirement to call isn't mentioned in either of the Lowry Bay nor Port Nich Yacht Clubs' Cook Strait Sailing Instructions also (yet the Tory call is stated). 

In respect to compulsory licensing I'm in IT's camp. But I certainly have sympathies and see all sorts of stupid stuff out there. I also hold Skippers RL and am a qualified Coastguard Instructor but I certainly don't profess to know it all, quite the opposite. So the forum helps us all to learn and develop. 

Pleased to help. The Wellington yacht clubs marina offices and chandeliers could do a lot to educate their members and customers  if they had the becon hills, with the channels and the passage I quoted incorporated in a large notice, heading perhaps"Radio proceedures a mandatory requirement when entering and leaving WELLINGTON HARBOUR additional to TORY CH."

I to do not claim to know it all. The CG have educated me a lot and I'm entirely gratefull of their existence. Have sent them a email on them with some susgestions in my opinion on how to increase their income revenues especially their lottery.

Safe boating and congratulations on you being part of the good and excellent work the CG do.