Jump to content
Deep Purple

Fuel excise duty refund and regional fuel tax rebate entitlements

Recommended Posts

Catchy title huh? This document was recently released and sent to me from my aero club. It's of interest to me as my plane runs on car gas and so does my launch

Anyhows, there's a few things in there that are worthy of note from a marine point of view both in direct levies and infrastructure and rescue funding, and we all use petrol even if it's in the 2hp.

  • The government recognises some of the issues
  • A possible answer is to remove fuel tax and bring in road user charges for all vehicles (I agree)
  • Boat petrol is used to fund infrastructure and maritime rescue (who knew and why don't diesel boat owners contribute)(It should also be used to fund boat ramps)
  • The government doesn't trust anyone
  • There's no quick answer

https://www.transport.govt.nz/assets/Import/Documents/FED-refund-and-RFT-final-report.pdf

Edited by Deep Purple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As alternative fuel/electric vehicles increase on our roads, this is likely to become the best way of charging road tax. Although it is also a way to rip of small vehicle drivers unless the system becomes more complex. For instance, we used to have a 2 tonne and 3 tonne rate. Now we have one rate of 0 upto 3.5 tonne. So vehicles within that 3.5 tonne are all charged at the same rate of 0.072 cents per Km. Where as with the RUC held within the fuel tax, smaller Vehicles paid less because they tend to use less in the way of Fuel. It was a little more fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wheels said:

As alternative fuel/electric vehicles increase on our roads, this is likely to become the best way of charging road tax. Although it is also a way to rip of small vehicle drivers unless the system becomes more complex. For instance, we used to have a 2 tonne and 3 tonne rate. Now we have one rate of 0 upto 3.5 tonne. So vehicles within that 3.5 tonne are all charged at the same rate of 0.072 cents per Km. Where as with the RUC held within the fuel tax, smaller Vehicles paid less because they tend to use less in the way of Fuel. It was a little more fair.

if I remember correctly there were originally 1, 2 and 3 t rates. Then I think it was Cullen who zapped the 2 t rate pushing most into the 3 t rate and then under Nats it was changed to the current all paying the 3.5t rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuel rebates.     Off road,logging trucks or vehicles used in the bush.non public rds. Loggers take hubo reading and claim distance not used and those vehicles which are solely bush used are generally refuelled by tanker in bush or supply tank at base. So no tax.

Marine should be tax free providing you refuel at a marina or other marine facility. Tax should not be charged.(perhaps like the aussies,different coloured fuel,get caught using it other than the purpose forestry/agri big fines). To fund marine facilities like boat ramps etc quite simple really.I am a fan of compulsory boat registration when the fee would be used for such facilities.(not an over the top fee) but then again rates etc pay for sports fields that I do not use so a ramp is my sport facility??

Private aircraft fuel should tax free as you pay club/aerodrome fee I suppose.Its not like drive to BP and refuel plane so if fuel was same colour as agri/log sector why tax. get caught using it in private vehicle yeah have a fine.

The diesel tax on small trucks was set at 3t from memory and if you work it out via road user charges probably paying more than we do to run 40 odd tonne.And part of the reason is running more axles does less damage.But with 4 axle 26 deck trailers around suburbs yep I can chew up the road nicely with tight turns as our suburban rds are not designed for these trailers.

Not matter how or what they do with fuel taxes it is going to be unfair for some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HT, ref different coloured fuels I think you mean the UK which the EU Stasi used to get really upset about https://www.crownoil.co.uk/guides/dyed-diesel-fuel-guide/

I never saw diesel with different colours in Australia, when I had my launch there I had an off road users certificate which I had to show the marina where I fuelled up.

Please do not suggest boat registration, also lived with that in Australia, it was just another tax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/04/2020 at 9:24 AM, marinheiro said:

HT, ref different coloured fuels I think you mean the UK which the EU Stasi used to get really upset about https://www.crownoil.co.uk/guides/dyed-diesel-fuel-guide/

I never saw diesel with different colours in Australia, when I had my launch there I had an off road users certificate which I had to show the marina where I fuelled up.

Please do not suggest boat registration, also lived with that in Australia, it was just another tax.

Why not every thing else is registered and it would be a lot easier to report breaches, trace and identify re accidents providing the fees did go into the general taxation fund but to the Marine port folio automatically or fishing inspectors funding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rehabilitated said:

Why not every thing else is registered and it would be a lot easier to report breaches, trace and identify re accidents providing the fees did go into the general taxation fund but to the Marine port folio automatically or fishing inspectors funding.

I do not see bicycles or horses registered (just to pick 2 examples) and there are far more injuries and deaths associated with these than pleasure boats. 

Rehab, you know as well as anyone that these sort of taxes, after the large bureaucratic cost is deducted, never finish up where they were originally intended. 

Road taxes are supposed to be used to develop roads but they are being diverted to all sorts of other transport expenditure with road development and upgrades taking a back seat.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/105249934/how-your-rising-fuel-taxes-will-be-spent

Another example is tobacco taxes (and I am not a smoker) 

  https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/103904329/17b-in-and-43m-out-the-governments-double-standard-on-tobacco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rehabilitated said:

I did add a provision re the registration. You are wrong regarding horses they are registered and the register maintained and policed  rigorously .

I think if you check you will find horse registration in NZ is voluntary, unlike say dogs for which registration is compulsory.

I answered your proviso re registration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, marinheiro said:

I think if you check you will find horse registration in NZ is voluntary, unlike say dogs for which registration is compulsory.

I answered your proviso re registration.

No horse registration is compulsory with sever consequences for falsifying the data / information. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...