Changing boat names

floatsome

Looking at buying a boat at the moment, only trouble is I am not enamoured with the name. being the superstitious old bastard I am, it is unlikely I will change the name. Question is why am I superstitous??

Superstitions, myths and magic are what we used to use to explain things we don't understand.

Superstitions are generally replaced by scientific understanding. Things like what causes thunder and lightning for example.

As we all know, the sea has secrets which we don't yet understand, and as sailors, and as we gain more experience we find that it's more the things we don't know than the things we do about sailing and the sea. We'll take science where we can, and technology, but otherwise there's no harm in being a little superstitious.

I've been a part of two yacht purchases where I wasn't particularly fond of the names. The both grew on me to the point where I wouldn't consider changing them - Although one is on her second name and I'd like to find out the original name and perhaps run a hyphenated name.

These days, two grown men looking for a Virgin will get you arrested. :wink: :lol:

No they won't. I was in a big bunch hunting a Virgin last week and never even got looked at by the officals.

There were also a pile looking for a JetStar and a ANZ :lol: :lol:

Superstitions, myths and magic are what we used to use to explain things we don't understand

Whaddaya mean "used to". There's plenty of people around who operate with full conviction on substantially less than fact. Some are making a pretty tidy profit out of people's superstitions, myths and magic too (e.g. Bishop Brian Tamaki).

superstitions are nonsense.

The only one I will believe is bananas are bad luck for fishing. Now this was explained to me one day as something to do with the smell or oils in the skin putting fish off if the bait was handled by the banana eater. So if you wear gloves to bait the hook, or peel the fruit, but not both I'd guess you'd be OK. So maybe that is not a superstition, more a scientific theory?

Change the name of your boat. Walk under a ladder. Open an umbrella inside. Break a mirror. Start a sea voyage on a friday (who DOESN'T do that?)

Just don't go fishing with bananas.

I've heard various explanations for bananas being bad news on a boat.

a) bananas emit ethylene gas and this influences other fruit causing the other fruit to ripen quicker and spoil quicker

B) bunches of bananas brought onto boats have various bugs and spiders and stuff hiding in them which then infest the boat

c) bananas impart a chemical contaminant onto your hands that taint fish bait

All 3 of those can be mitigated if you want to have bananas on your boat, so refusing to have bananas on board is nothing more than a silly superstition.

Now, the whole "bare breasted women to calm rough seas" thing .... that's definitely worth further research and investigation :wink:

Guest Dry Reach
How superstitious are you DR?

Do you feel lucky?

Changed names on all my boats except one and never had any issues? and did'nt have to slay things or lift tapu's (close down a harbour) of drown someone in a bath to lift a curse or get some old Maori to come over and say a few words for a free feed...

I feel lucky... punk! :wink:

I believe the annual general meeting of the Auckland under 16 virgin society is being held in the phone box on the corner of Queen St and Quay St. They're not expecting it to be crowded...

Archived