Rescue of sick Infant off Mixican Coast

wheels

Ah life is full of coincidence....

In my previous post I mentioned Chris Bray.....http://www.chrisbray.net/teleport/

Well it seems that this Sunday at 6.30 on Australian TV channel 7 is the story of teleport.

The story of Chris and Jess and their little junk rigged boat in the far North.

It is an amazing story if you can watch it.

Rebel Hearts steering had failed and was taking water, hence the abandonment.

Wait but I thought they asked for help bc the little one was sick.

Didn't ever read that they were taking on water... read a few comments about self steering but not main steering. So what happened? I'm confused now :crazy:

There is a lot of supposition about this.

Here is what I understand from multiple sources. The skipper (Eric) put out a mayday because the child was very sick. The rescue came from the US, and was Navy personnel. 900 miles out - they dropped some medics and an inflatable with outboard. Impressive! Charlotte had been seasick for some time. The child had suspected salmonella, and was very unwell. Diagnosis not yet confirmed.

There were reports of steering issues and water ingress into the boat. Eric decided he had to leave with the family. Perfectly understandable in the circumstances.

The Navy decided not to leave the vessel afloat..

Eric and Charlotte have a blog, and, when things settle, I expect that we will hear the full story. IMO at the moment, this is a real accident - it was not a sailing or navigation problem. They were unlucky, and I wish them all the best for the future.

Sorry, I should have said: reported to have steering failure and engine issues, on a re-read, once the medics were on board and had stabilised the toddler, they had the boat underway and were heading to a rendezvous with the navy ship.

At a last look last night there were 51 pages of concern, best wishes, misunderstanding and outright criticism there is sure to be many different takes on what actually happened. Rebel Heart has been a constant poster on the cruisersforum over the years and I'm sure that as Island Time says he will give a full report some time in the future.

Archived