GME RECALLS MT400, MT401, MT403 EPIRBs!!!

Island Time

I have one with an expired battery in that serial number range. It'll be interesting to see what they come back with. To replace the battery using the offical service was only $100 cheaper than buying a new one with an inbuilt GPS and it only came with a 12 month warranty where the new one has a 12 year battery replacement!

A few points.

EPIRB batteries are like flares, they will still work but not as well and will be more unstable in performance. But for peace of mind and for compliance purposes many people will keep thir equipment in date.

GME has been replacing units as well as a battery replacement for some time. That is why when you got a battery replacement done, it came back with a new #.

If you have an expired battery EPIRB in this date range, and the test function works, it will probably be ok. I had seen instances where the test function didn't work, and they were replaced, prior to the recall.

If the test function doesn't work, but the battery is out of date, go buy a new one as my understanding it isn't covered under the recall.

And no - a lot of EPIRBs aren't registered.

If you have an expired battery EPIRB in this date range, and the test function works, it will probably be ok. I had seen instances where the test function didn't work, and they were replaced, prior to the recall.

Bugger, mine is one - Test function works and beeps fine but they are not interested in replacing it as I should have changed the battery.

I have one and they say it is expired as it has not had an authorised battery change and that I should dispose of it and buy a new one.

Just to clarify, the battery has expired and it's dead or you changed the battery yourself?

I'm interested in what the battery is and if it can be changed easily.

A few points.

EPIRB batteries are like flares, they will still work but not as well and will be more unstable in performance. But for peace of mind and for compliance purposes many people will keep thir equipment in date.

GME has been replacing units as well as a battery replacement for some time. That is why when you got a battery replacement done, it came back with a new #.

If the test function doesn't work, but the battery is out of date, go buy a new one as my understanding it isn't covered under the recall.

And no - a lot of EPIRBs aren't registered.

Was talking to the standard commas. rep this arvo and if battery expired then not covered by recall.

None of the brands let you change the EPIRB battery yourself. The main reason is to ensure seals etc are ok and they test correctly.

A handy person may be able to parallel source batteries for the NZ made Salcom unit, but all disclaimers apply.

Simple : toss the thing and buy another brand.

You don't buy any thing unless their advertising says satisfaction guaranteed.

Anyone else gothis email today ?

Awesome response ....thank you GME, or is this some scam?

GME has reviewed your situation and whilst your EPIRB has expired, as an act of good will, GME would like to offer you a brand new EPIRB at half of the Recommended Retail Price, $120inc GST. This latest model EPIRB is the MT600 which features a full 10 year battery life, plus numerous technological advances.

In order to receive this offer, we require your expired EPIRB to be returned. Please package your EPIRB appropriately (bubble wrap and a sturdy box) and return it along with your full contact details to:

GME Recall

17 Gibbon Road

Winston Hills NSW 2153

Upon receipt of your expired EPIRB, a GME representative will contact you to finalise the transaction.

Best regards,

GME

Wow a 406 EPIRB for $240 inc GST I'll be in for that.

I assume GME are offering the Mt600g to you with its 10 battery life which retails here in dear old NZ at approx $600.

I have one and they say it is expired as it has not had an authorised battery change and that I should dispose of it and buy a new one.

Just to clarify, the battery has expired and it's dead or you changed the battery yourself?

I'm interested in what the battery is and if it can be changed easily.

Just out of date but still testing ok

yes I have the same message but a nz address to send to and 259$ to pay for a mt 600 with 10 year battery, assume it is legit?

I received an email yesterday saying that GME had reviewed my situation and would like to replace my EPIRB with a new unit. There was no mention of a 50% discount.

I'm waiting to see what is offered and what model it will be. At this rate I might end up with two units as I bought another one in time for the SSANZ race.

EDIT: I hit the submit button too quick. I have just received further instructions to send the unit back to an Australian address for a full (and free) replacement.

yes I have the same message but a nz address to send to and 259$ to pay for a mt 600 with 10 year battery, assume it is legit?

I received an email yesterday saying that GME had reviewed my situation and would like to replace my EPIRB with a new unit. There was no mention of a 50% discount.

I'm waiting to see what is offered and what model it will be. At this rate I might end up with two units as I bought another one in time for the SSANZ race.

EDIT: I hit the submit button too quick. I have just received further instructions to send the unit back to an Australian address for a full (and free) replacement.

To all my fellow friends.

Well you can always ask them by e-mail copy and paste the e-mail on their website enquiry and ask them for verification. Then you will know for sure Sounds genuine unless their computer has been hacked.

If genuine a few beers would be appreciated for my previous posting.

OC

Archived