RCD on boat in westhaven

Can anyone help, have just been told that I must have a RCD inside my boat where the shore power connects to. Already have 16 amp SB there and this has been fine, and passed ok last time. Now they are telling that this is no good and must spend 150.00 to get it swaped out for RCD

I thought that the RCD is on the dock where one plugs into.

Does anyone know what the regs are.

Boat is in westhaven

Take out the circuit breaker, and take it to an electrical wholesaler - it is likely that it will be a direct swap for a RCD that has the same dimesions/fittings etc.

IMO, it is stupid to require one on the boat, when there is already one on the dock...

Many of the marinas try to enforce the "law" that they don't understand correctly. There are different requirements at different marinas :thumbdown:

It's all very well doing it yourself IT but the RCD is likely to cost $50 anyway and you would still need to get someone down to inspect it for the WOF, $150 seems pretty reasonable IMHO.

I agree ... who is selling them for $150?

Kevin, the Westhaven marina manager cleared this all up at the Forum a few weeks back.

From what I recall Westhaven been advised on the law and how it applies. The current push is an application of current law. Pun intended! :-)

We can either unplug, abide by the law or lobby to get the law changed.

Seems fair enough to me.

Fair enough, IF the boat needs a new EWOF, but if it does not, really the Marina have no legal right to tell you to fit one....

I know what you mean but pretty sure if the current set up is changed it would need to be re-inspected whether the EWOF is current or not. Yes all these rules are damn annoying but unfortunately it takes a lot of time and effort not to comply and for what.

I would have thought a 16 amp circuit breaker attached to a 10 amp plug would be useless anyway?

Not entirely Willow. That is what you expect, but in my experience, different marinas have different interpretations of the law, and exactly what equipment is required.

A boat that HAS a Current NZ EWOF complies with the law, and should be allowed to plug in. It has been inspected by a certified electrical inspector, and given a certificate to prove it. Another inspection is not required until the old one expires. Like a car WOF, it must be maintained to that level as a minimum. Also like a car, there is no regulation that says you cannot do your own maintenance - in this case for example, change the circuit breaker to a RCD yourself, as far as I have seen. Anyone know different?

Here in Gulf Harbour village, the rules state that you MUST have both and EWOF AND a lead that is tagged and current.

That is fine, for a vessel with a hardwired 230v panel etc.

However, they try to enforce that on every boat, regardless of what systems are aboard. According to the 2 different inspectors I have dealt with about this, The regs state that a boat without a 230v system is not even Eligible for an EWOF. Therefore they cannot issue one. They both say you can use a lead (Tagged and tested of course) to a plugbox with a 10a overload protection to power your dehumidifier, battery charger whatever, as long as the boat is NOT hardwired to a supply point for connection to shore power. It does NOT have to be attended. I have been through this process with the inspectors recommended by this marina. They tell me Island Time is perfectly legal without, and not eligible for, an EWOF.

Of course, this is a problem for the Marinas, as from the outside, all they see is a lead (with a Tag) but no EWOF. Looks the same as a boat that should have an EWOF but does not....

Opua will rent you a connection (like in the pic above), you cannot use your standard, tested and tagged shorepower lead - unless you have an EWOF....

I'd go with IT, differing marinas have differing views as to what the law is trying to say. It's obviously a crap law if no one can understand it.

It took me and others months to convince Bayswater they had been conned by a sparky into thinking every boat needed a EWOF. It was just a scam by the sparky who thought he was onto a nice ongoing easy income stream.... that or he was just a crap sparky who didn't know the rules.

I have a lead similar to the one pictured above for when I need 240V. No one seems to have any problem with that as long as it's got a current inspection tag.

I'm told the law is written for caravans and shore based things but boats just got caught up in it due to it being poorly written. I'm hearing a similar thing maybe happening with gas regulations as well. Sadly that doesn't come as a surprise.

Don't disagree but, I haven't had a problem in 7 different Marinas around the country including Gulf Harbour. Simply just got an EWOF (which was pretty simple) and a tagged lead no issues. Just emailed the marina a copy when booking in dead easy.

Most of the rental agreements I have seen state you need an EWOF to be permanently connected to shore power whether that is right or wrong it's not hard to comply.

To my mind the electrical requirements are easier to comply with than some of the other myriad of safety regs we have.

This old topic has come up for me again.

This years issue is that this marina is now stating that if you wish to leave your boat connected whilst it is unattended,  It MUST have an EWOF, even if it does not have a 230v system. To be eligible for EWOF, it MUST have a 230v system, so you have to install one! An RCD and a socket, lead hardwired in is entry level, cost about $400. I've given up the argument.

Easier and cheaper just to do without shore power.

I just spent the money on a new solar panel instead.