Webb Chiles

Black Panther

you see a lot of that

a couple of years ago there was an old czeck wanting to break the round world solo record

was well off the pace when he was towed into auckland, put the boat, on the market and flew home

think the boat, singa, has a new owner in westhaven

google trans of his blog seemed to show he regretted relying on 4? elec pilots that continually were over-loaded and breaking down

he mentions others who had no problems with hydraulic systems and we know a wind system would have been better too

he ended up using bungees on the helm for the strong winds

and whichever cannibalized elec-pilot was working for the light

yep, my experience of the tiller pilots is considerably less than good. I've broken about 4 as well - different brands and models (on previous boats - Island Time is wheel steering)

The ones with the ram only above deck and the brains below the deck a better, but as Cory on AA will tell you, he lost his 2 in the solo tasman.

For ocean crossing, the hydraulic ones are the go, regardless of tiller or wheel steering....

Oh, and don't believe the sales crap - the sizing on all the brands is only for light conditions. Go at least one, possibly 2 sizes up - and avoid the units with plastic connector fittings. Just IMO, my 2c worth.

:? In defence of tillerpilots, or at least only the original brand, the French ones were truly rubbish, I have not had these issues and after meeting the aforementioned Czech and Webb Chiles feel that there is more to the story... Properly sized for the job and specified with the balance (or lack of ) of the individual design accounted for you should have no trouble, bear in mind that the 1000 and 2000 size are not specified for continual offshore use - although many are driving windvane tabs successfully in that role.

Cat among the pigeons!.....

Of course we sail Townsons - not requiring muscle on tiller.

i agree that excessive user expectations is a major part of the problem

the other part being reluctance by the makers/sellers/advertsiers to point out how fragile they really are

so can't not be depended on

when you really, really need them...

The hell with the tiller pilots , the guy has just made an epic trip in what is fundamentally a small coastal race boat, single handed ,and he isn't exactly young.

Writes nicely too, I've been following his blog for a while now. Nice job getting into Opua just before those last nasty fronts went through too.

Archived