HSBC Premier Coastal Classic - my challenge for 2010

Zoe

With TeamVodafoneSailing (Simon Hull's tri) competing this year for the first time, a big part of my challenge as the race's publicity person is to make sure that the rest of the fleet gets its due coverage in the media.

One way I'm going to try to balance it out is to take a leaf from the CYCA's book and really focus on the handicap winners. This is what they do for the Hobart (and a bit more tricky here with so many different divisions meaning we don't get an overall winner, but I'll do my best!).

I am also hoping that you can help out with this is to tell me about competitors that are interesting to read about. For example, young Edwin Delaat was a great story, and I can keep the race in the news if I know about people like him who are unique in that they are young, old, have a disability or face some kind of adversity in getting to the startline, or who have done the race every year since its inception - you know the sort of thing I mean.

Last year I missed the great effort put in by Deep Throttle and Karma Police because I just didn't know about it - nobody had told me. I gave them attention after the race but they missed it on race day - it was my mistake but it's a huge help if people out there sailing and in the fleet can keep me informed. In turn I can pass stories on to David at Crew.org.nz, as well as the other newspapers and TV and radio journalists.

Anyway, thank you for all the support in years past and I'm looking forward to being in Russell for this year's race!

Zoe

zoe@wildemedia.co.nz (emails are better than PMs)

Last year I missed the great effort put in by Deep Throttle and Karma Police

Overload gave both of them a lesson by going outside the Hen & Chicks (I can say that because I was on Deep Throttle).

I have a couple of thoughts but will give them a bit more consideration.

and I can keep the race in the news if I know about people like him who are unique in that they are young, old, have a disability or face some kind of adversity in getting to the startline

Zoe

I'm pressing ahead with my campaign to get a sponsor for an open 60 for the Vendee Globe.

The plan is to have a sex change operation and be the first trans gendered person to sail in the VG.

If someone wants to give me a boat for the Coastal I'd be happy to single hand it up to Russell and call it part of the preparation, unfortunately I won't have time for the operation before the Coastal Start.

and I can keep the race in the news if I know about people like him who are unique in that they are young, old, have a disability or face some kind of adversity in getting to the startline

Zoe

I'm pressing ahead with my campaign to get a sponsor for an open 60 for the Vendee Globe.

The plan is to have a sex change operation and be the first trans gendered person to sail in the VG.

If someone wants to give me a boat for the Coastal I'd be happy to single hand it up to Russell and call it part of the preparation, unfortunately I won't have time for the operation before the Coastal Start.

That would be a great story David! But only if you actually have the operation.

Last year I missed the great effort put in by Deep Throttle and Karma Police

Overload gave both of them a lesson by going outside the Hen & Chicks (I can say that because I was on Deep Throttle).

I have a couple of thoughts but will give them a bit more consideration.

Yes and Overload - awesome boat. We did a story about Overload too.

This is what they do for the Hobart (and a bit more tricky here with so many different divisions meaning we don't get an overall winner, but I'll do my best!).

Well currently you do get an overall IRC winner... and a first overall 2 Handed winner.

And why not introduce a trophy for 1st overall on PHRF ? and then make a big deal of it !

So what if weather will decide who wins as much as skill. It's the same for the Hobart...

"And why not introduce a trophy for 1st overall on PHRF ? and then make a big deal of it !"

Because the Coastal Classic was and has always been about the first boat to finish (in each division). The provision of handicap prizes is a secondary consideration introduced as a sop to the large number of leaners who can't keep up....... what they call on SA 4KSB's.

"And why not introduce a trophy for 1st overall on PHRF ? and then make a big deal of it !"

Because the Coastal Classic was and has always been about the first boat to finish (in each division). The provision of handicap prizes is a secondary consideration introduced as a sop to the large number of leaners who can't keep up....... what they call on SA 4KSB's.

What a stupid comment, compared to TeamVodafoneSailing pretty much every boat is going to look like a sh*t box, the Coastal has alot of competitors and i'm sure there a some great stories out there not just about who can afford the fastest boat.

From a publicity point of view an overall handicap winner would be useful, but is it even possible with two start times.

I know there is also a point where you have too many prizes and maybe we reached that an IRC division ago.

(By the way I only do the media side, I don't make these decisions so this is just my opinion not a statement of what might actually happen)

All the sponsors have been signed up so they will all be in production and it won't be too far away. Keep checking the website www.coastalclassic.co.nz

As far as the NOR goes the start is Friday 22 October and the course is Auckland to Russell. Consider yourself NOR'd but the official version will be out soon!

Hi David I understand the operation is relatively quick to perform. Two bricks, bang and its over. I understand that it really hurts if you get your fingers caught though. Good luck in your quest. An alternative would be to do it single handed on a proa.

:lol: I wonder which would be more painful.

(I was hoping to have another person who could do computer duties so I could race this year, but it isn't looking good at the moment.)

Another first. SH on the proa whilst regularly updating your site using a panasonic tough book and an XT mobile connection. Telecom might go for it. XT could do with some innovative good news.

Gosh you've all made it so hard for Squid.

Decisions Decisions Decisions

Do you use the Ends, Sides or theTops and Bottoms of the Bricks?

Can he put the USED bricks on the windward side?

Would those bricks be considered moveable ballast or must they be secured?

Are solid bricks or the lighter bricks with holes in them better?

How far offshore must Squid go so his terminal shouts of glee before impact and yells of success are knot overheard and the noise police are called? Outside the Hen & Chicks would be a start, but how far out?

With eight tentacles, does Squid need 4 attempts so all hands have been involved?

Squid don't let them pressure you, if you want to race single handed on your bright green proa that would be a lovely story all by itself...

I for one would be willing to accept the word of Squid about having the operation.

I definitely wouldn't want to see the results personally, hear any first hand accounts, or see any photographic evidence. :sick:

From a publicity point of view an overall handicap winner would be useful, but is it even possible with two start times.

Yep. Definately possible. Even now the calculations for each boats elapsed time allow for the differences in start time. Corrected time is simply elapsed time multiplied by a correction factor (TCF or whatever you want to call it !)

I think it would be a fantastic idea, helps promote PHRF (got to be good from a YNZ viewpoint). Plus it's a prize every monohull could potentially win.

Archived