The Flyin Hawaiian finally meets its end.

smithy09

The 65ft Cat, Flyin' Hawaiian,  built from exterior grade plywood and commonly expected not to make it off the launching ramp has finally made it out under Golden gate bridge in San Fran and around 150 miles offshore before taking on water and activating an EPIRB. The crew of 5, including owner and builder "Hot Rod" were lifted off by a US Coast guard chopper crew. This was a huge post on Sailing Anarchy as the Cat's construction from household DIY materials was closely observed. http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=126442&page=116

Their big argument now is the "Good on him for trying"  Camp vrs "Total f------g idiot endangering lives" camp. Always a good discussion!

even the tin can tri made it further than that

tin-can-1-022108.jpg

before it started falling apart

i'd say idiot for wasting all that time and money building and not listening to those who knew better 

40889502185373254448.jpg

but at least both listened enough to be well prepared for the inevitable failure of their dodgy engineering

if they had been built better

they still would have failed 

but further out...

I think you're correct about a lot of the SA members MB, but I do like the way they don't hold back, and some are seriously funny. Some are seriously clever as well. Many are just tossers like you say. Certainly no Kiwi reserve there!

I disagree with you about the advertising thing though. I think Clean is passionate about his sailing. I watched his Moth worlds coverage and it was great.

They also post Booboo's videos so they can't be all bad..

True this . . .

SA in many ways seems the bastion of spoiled teenage basement dwellers encouraging each other to greater depths of voyeuristic perversity, normal people just letting rip with their pent up stuff under the cover of anonymity.

But there is also an arrogant narcissistic element in the sailing community that would be there with or without SA. Gringos are among the worst. 

As a further comment on sailors behaviour, on you tube I've noticed there's always a vitriolic or condescending comment on a personal post rather than professional posts to do with sail trim, safety, balance etc etc. It probably exists on all subjects at some level because essentially we're all the same but I've noticed it too.

OK, here is my quote of the day on this subject from "Captain Bligh" on SA (HR is Hot Rod the builder and skipper of the Flyin' Hawaiian):

The fascination with HR is that this is a sailing website, dedicated to sailing and sailboats and HR is a buffoon who thought he knew better than the rest of the boating community.   SA is a place where discussions about best practices and best solutions take place.  Novice and experienced sailors come here for advice There are right ways to do things and wrong ways to do things and then everything else in the middle. HR did  everything wrong, from home depot to letting his documentation expire. Everything. HR has set a new low for how to do things wrong. Not only has he set a new low, but he did it in a glorious and magnanimous fashion and that is what this thread is all about.

Couldn't have put it better really. Sure plenty of schadenfreude but it's very true. Like watching an on-going train wreck. irresistible!

Although I do give him credit for actually giving it a go and getting the beast in the water, I still struggle with the fact that he did this on such a big scale. Im sure those building techniques might have worked OK on a 40fter but to go to 65 with basically just wood and nails was just plain stupid. It was never going to work. If he had set his sights a bit lower then he would have had the budget to do a 40fter much better. 

Agreed Booboo, he had no understanding of the forces involved in a structure that size at sea. But everyone doing anything out of the ordinary always gets lots of criticism, even from, sometimes especially from, those more experienced. The issue is knowing who to listen to...

If you only listen to the mainstream comments, you end up with ordinary results.... 

reading 'south seas vagabonds', at the moment

maxresdefault.jpg

johnny didn't know how to build a boat either

so he asked others and often sat at the boat builders to watch them 

hot rod went the other way

Valery tozer
I was the first mate, the wood beams it was built from were faulty, they started to crack, we tryed everything we could to hold her together, we tied n chaned bothe sides together, but it did nit help , my wife the navigator is 7 months pregnant, the baby is ok too. We lost everything. The CG did a perfect job. THANK YOU ALL.

http://coastguardnews.com/coast-guard-rescues-5-people-from-sinking-sailing-boat-off-the-coast-of-monterey/2015/02/01/comment-page-1/#comment-81326

and if you really want to broaden/rinse your mind

someone on SA posted these links, apparently written by valery tozer the sailor...

http://www.weareatheism.com/valery-tozer/                 "I live-aboard a boat,"

http://m.okcupid.com/profile/valerytozer?cf=regular        "its a trymaran fyi".

You can add 'tweak a R930' to that list as well, as strange as that may seem :roll:

Yeah, Crazy!! I've seen all those galv coachbolts and low grade plywood you've got holding it together. Won't make it past Rangi.. Not quite in the same league as Hot Rod KM, but nice try!

Archived