First LED distress flare gets US approval

Ric from Lusty's showed me their new RescueMe led flare and I was impressed, it beats the laser flare and in bright sun it's got the "aah Sh##" factor for your eyes which I thought the laser flare lacked. I've sold a couple and they are hands down a vast improvement on pyro's which are just bloody dangerous. The sooner they get accepted the better. It's time pyro's went the way of morse code and signal flags will be next in line for retirement.

Yes that's the one, they had one turned on at the last boat show it lasted for 8 1/2 hours. If you want it to last the whole night buy another! I find there is a massive lack of knowledge and experience when it comes to using flares. The manufacturers haven't helped with a myriad of ways of firing it or deploying it. There was one that even in broad daylight in a car park you would have naturally have held the hot end. So I think these are brilliant, a child of almost any age could use it. They are not as bright as a pyro and they don't have an led smoke flare or a rocket but if you live in the modern era and you have an epirb with gps I think they are an obvious choice.

I just googled "rescued by flare" and "burnt by flare" rescued gets nearly nothing but burnt gets plenty.

Dern - How did you Kiwis find out about this neat stuff before us gringos? 

(But beware, the link is to a commercial site)

Cannot come too soon - there is no way is hell I am lighting up a super-hot magnesium dripping molten stick on my wildly pitching little keeler, holding it aloft with one hand, while at the same time trying to assist a passenger with the other.  

That scenario has always been, and still is, just batshit crazy. 

Do any of you know whether not not any poor soul has actually tried it? 

I'll have to check if the US Coast Guard has actually approved this . . 

If so, gotta get one for the Golden Rule 

time to update my flares, after seeing led flares on here went and had a look at same at a marine shop.look great read the detailed yep seem to be the go,then remembered what was written here,right ring coastguard unsure,ok ring maritime nz and spoke to a lady who said yes we are still in the process as to the suitability of them as a replacement,at this stage they are non compliant and do not know when they will be accepted.

At the shop advertised as replacements for pyro flares.Have since rung shop and their answer was "well they accepted in the usa so we assumed from our supplier they would conform to nz standards".

Back to square one buying old technology pyro flares.