Biggest hurricane ever about to hit Mexico (200mph)

Seems we've reached the tipping point. Heard the other day that even if we halt all CO2 emissions we're now on target for 3 degrees. More superstorms predicted. I'm considering a new form of architecture. Superstorm Bunker. But each time I plan for a certain gust strength, it's exceeded by another storm. Might invest in windfarms instead.

Arrrggghhh! I have failed to keep my fingers from the keyboard. I had vowed to myself I wasn't going to post on this topic. Failed!!!!
Righty. (addressed to no one in particular) I want to discuss, not argue.
Firstly just to clarify. I am NOT saying there is no global warming. I never have. But there are many so called facts being pushed that are totally incorrect and that is what annoys me. And I see it on both sides of the debate. However, I do not expect the nonsense from Scientists.

Kevin, re the "7 of last 9 months hottest". The problem with that statement being made was from whom made it and where was it hotter. Just because a couple of places experienced hotter than average does not mean the world is heating up. Local weather events should not be taken into the overall Global average, which is what happened in that above case. If you look at the Official Global temperature scale, the world has not had an increase in Global temp for well over 2 yrs now. The average line has remained flat. Remember, this is the average. Just because one month or more is up, there may well be other places it is down. The average is the true indicator.
What has happened in the past season of Arctic Summer, is that the ice has not melted as it had in the years prior. This past winter in Antarctica, the Winter Ice was measured as the largest area covered yet. The peak of that area was reached just last month.

Take this Hurricane. First reported as the biggest ever in Human History. Then we get, biggest in living memory. Then we have someone else say, hang about, but Typhoon whatever was bigger. So then the news becomes, biggest to ever hit the Gulf area. Then the winds that were reported at mid 350Mph was suddenly down graded to 250Mph. Then it made landfall and was an almost non event as far as Force 5's are concerned. In fact, the flooding was only a few feet, and Typhoon whatever it was had a storm surge of 25ft. Imagine if this one came in with a 20+ft surge. I was stunned that people hung around when they were told to get out and then complained that they have a few ft of water. Doh!

The Media are part and parcel of blame. Everytime something happens in the world, it is put down to Global Warming. That's the media that states it. It has not come from anyone official, it is simply shocking news and shocking news gets peoples ears and then when you have that happen, they parrot it as fact and then everyone is running around crying the sky is falling.

56.7 °C (134 °F) Furnace Creek Ranch (formerly Greenland Ranch), Death ValleyCalifornia 10 July 1913[8][9][10]

23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada 45.0 °C (113 °F) Yellow GrassMidale, Saskatchewan both in 5 July 1937[11]

23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Australia 50.7 °C (123.3 °F) Oodnadatta, South Australia 2 January 1960[35][36][37]

23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png New Zealand 42.4 °C (108.3 °F) Rangiora, ,Marlborough (tied) 7 February 1973[38]

23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England 38.5 °C (101.3 °F) FavershamKent 10 August 2003[84]

23px-Flag_of_Northern_Ireland.svg.png Northern Ireland 30.8 °C (87.4 °F)  Belfast,County Antrim 30 June 1976 / 12 July 1983[84]

Antarctica 17.5 °C (63.5 °F) Hope BayTrinity Peninsula 24 March 2015[35]

South Pole −12.3 °C (9.9 °F) Amundsen–Scott South Pole Station 25 December 2011[85]

Marble Bar has an arid climate with very hot summers and mild to warm winters.  

The town set a world record of most consecutive days of 100 °F (37.8 °C) or above, during a period of 160 days from 31 October 1923 to 7 April 1924.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weather_records#Highest_temperatures_ever_recorded

I get what you are trying to show there erice, but actually this is also where one of the biggest errors are made and why averages over large areas need to be factored, instead of one off rare events. These temps shown above are created by localised weather events and patterns. There can be many factors that can cause such a peak temp, that may or may not have any relation to a Global pattern. For example, it is a "weather event/s" out in the Atlantic that sets in motion the beginnings of a Hurricane. Thing is, these weather events take place pretty much daily. But the don't all culminate into a Hurricane daily. However, by looking at the number of these storms and severity over a long period of time, we get a different picture. And interestingly, the frequency of these storm events has been very steadily falling. That is not to say that for some reason, a series of factors do not all culminate to create a freak of nature storm. At the same time, having one form does not show that the Climate is doing anything  particular.

By the way, we have had a temperature higher than that official 42.4deg. It just wasn't official. I was at the Tekapo Army camp and we had a week where every day was hotter than the one before. Eventually the hottest we recorded was over 43deg. The air was so dry, it really didn't feel as hot as i had kind of expected it to, but it was still damn hot. Then a front came through, it snowed, we had a frost and then back into the 30's again. No wonder the Rocks split in two down there.

Guest Ketchup

Hope you're just trolling KM. Are you one of that dying breed of climate change contrarians?

I for one believe the climate is changing and has done for millions of years before humans arrived.

Logic tells me that if we have come from a ice age, millions of years ago, then the climate is warming without human assistance.

Logic tells me that if the sun has caused the melting of our frozen planet And can produce the heat it does then the Sun is the main factor in globally warming...

What you need to think about is what the scientists DO NOT kmow... not what they think they know!

If the sun is moving closer and getting hotter then all is explained!

Scientists measuring but a moment in time in millions of years know bugger all!

And the media will always back their spin with any scientific arguememt they can fimd and ignore other scientists that oppose that theory.

And... it no good "devising a problem" and then nit working on a solution that will fix the problem.

global warming yes

Man made no!

Not really on playing the Man there Kevin.

Sometimes having a degree just means being indoctrinated into a certain way of thinking IMHO.

For what it is worth I had a day over 50C when I was working in Queensland i think it was 1996 don't know how they get them to become official, I guess it has to be recorded by a met service weather station. 

• Upvote 1

When the man expresses logic the way the man does ... My point was the broader one of a bunch of old gits on a sailing forum setting themselves up in opposition to the world's best scientists. It's ludicrous. I've got no problems questioning scientists or authority but doing so with loopy logic doesn't advance the argument. Sure they could be wrong but it would be like me telling Lydia Ko how to play golf. Naomi Oreskes puts it nicely, defining science as "organised scepticsm". Note the word "organised", not a bunch of random data points from some random blathering dudes.

Guest Ketchup

Not really on playing the Man there Kevin.

Sometimes having a degree just means being indoctrinated into a certain way of thinking IMHO.

For what it is worth I had a day over 50C when I was working in Queensland i think it was 1996 don't know how they get them to become official, I guess it has to be recorded by a met service weather station.

Well said. And might I add....

Some of the. Biggest cock ups, stupidist statememts, and most inhumane acts ever committed by humans came from qualified scientist/professors...

And... most scientist view point are heavily influenced and directed by the myopic people that finance them.

The "human induced' climate change boffins/ believers are generally employed by the people whom benefit from these guys only looking at on side of the problem.

NOTE TO POSTERS;

This thread has had multiple messages deleted as they were in breach of the rules. Some users have been warned, Ketchup is on holiday again for the next 90 days.

Please stay within the site rules.

Within all that noise that went on there, there are a couple of points of interest. Personally I still don't believe Co2 is the issue. But I am not denying that Man has had some form of affect on warming either. It's just not the entire story and it is not Co2 that is causing the problem. I truly believe that one of the reasons Co2 is being pushed out the front, is that it is the ONLY thing that any can be controlled and most importantly, taxed, by any Gvt. All that aside though, my greatest annoyance is the hypocrisy in that. To me, if Co2 is the issue and Co2 is being called for to be reduced, then why should an Industry be allowed to continue spewing Co2 in the air, just because they can pay to do so.  It's nothing different to say, me speeding, being pulled over by a cop and he say's, if you pay me money, you can continue to speed. That could be called something else.
HOWEVER! In everything I have been studying, Co2 does not add up. And many of you will be rolling your eyes and saying to yourselves, what qualifications do i have to say that. Well actually, I am quite qualified in this. For the last two years now, I have been pouring every moment of my life into a development of a process I can't tell you all about here, but Co2 is the main output. It involves a lot of Chemistry. I have been studying Chemistry almost solidly for those two years. Which at my age, has not been easy. The saddest thing is, Local Gvt really don't care about the environment. At the end of the day, it comes down to money in every direction you move. They protect their Contract providers over the protection of the environment. They are quick to penalize anyone that does anything without consent, even if it is a positive step in protecting the environment. That is not to say all local Gvt's are like that. There are a few that have had a listening ear.

While on the subject of Co2 not being the cause, this year, the Ozone hole is the biggest it has ever been. Yet the supposed ozone depleting gasses have been reduced in output to almost Zero world wide. We even saw the hole reduce dramatically at one point and all those involved in the science were excited that the world wide reduction of these gasses had produced this positive result. But no one understands why it has grown to such a large extent again. I am not saying they got it wrong. I don't know. But it just goes to show that they really don't now either.