Marine gas person

I like the idea of that Wallis system DrW.

I have a Mariner Princess and bloody good though it is, a)when I have taken it to be repaired by Marine Stainless I have never felt entirely happy

with what I perceive to be unwillingness to provide a fixed cost. So much so that although one of my 'strikers' (makes the ignition spark I guess &

maybe I have the wrong word for it) no longer works, I am unwilling to go back because I am worried about the repair cost. B) LPG is such a pain in

the arse. Well - just the storage of it and need for gas lockers etc.

I'm thinking electric power is good, (& yes - acknowledged that the hot pies become a feature of your imagination when ya battery is dead! Although

that would apply to the gas solenoid too) and the idea of cabin heating capability plus diesel fuelled spins my wheels.

What is a stove/hob with cabin heater set up worth - roughly? I followed link to the aussie distributor and they direct you back to wallis...

Romany, I think I found out +3K EURO for an oven and Hob. So they are pretty pricey, but they are very nice and pretty lightweight compared to all other diesel stoves.

Some Canadian prices: http://www.wallas.ca/uploads/2015_85_nordic_series_retail_price_list.pdf OUCH! 

Some Austrian Prices here: http://www.bukh-bremen.de/files/346/upload/2015/Wallas%20Verkaufspreisliste%202015_web.pdf

Can't find any Aussie/NZ prices.

Sorry for the thread drift...

Reg now at Lusty and Blundell, and he is good on gas

Really?? Who's running 121 then??

they do not typically work on stoves, hence my suggesting the "tricky plumber" ;-)

Really? Why do they not work on stoves?

I like the Wallas DrW. Looks very interesting. Pity it didn't run on Diesel. You are right they are pricey though. Mind you, a top of the line Force 10 is getting close to that.

Re the rules on Gas....it is my understanding that a flexible hose is only allowed from Gas tank to solid copper line and from other end of copper line to stove. Any long run must be made in Solid Copper Tube. It must also be installed by a registered Gas fitter.

You can use flexi hose for a short run (not sure of exact length,) like perhaps 1 to 1.5M. You can self install and anyone competent can make the flexi hose line. But Tank over a certain size(could be wrong on size part) must be fitted outside and ventilated so leaked gas goes over the side.

A quick look at that Wallis and I couldn't see how it works???

Diesel. Concealed diesel burners heating under the glass plate. fan forced draws a small current load. 20mm diameter exhaust exiting above the waterline. they use relatively little fuel and apparently the ovens are Awesome for baking and cooking.

I am going thru an upgrade of my gas installation and trying to get a clear understanding of the requirements is not easy. Unfortunately I have not as yet been able to get my hands on the standard ie too mean to buy it!

The prevailing standard for marine LPG installations is AS/NZS 5601.2 2013

Couple of interesting links here (nothing similar from NZ)

http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/Portals/0/Gas%20Professionals/Files/ESV%20-%20ASNZS5601_Road%20show_presentation_2014.pdf

and

https://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/238636/standards-gas-installations-caravans-boats.pdf

My understanding of key points affecting our installations, and welcome to any corrections:

1. Gas Locker must have minimum drain size of 19mm

2. Water heaters (califonts) without external flues are not permitted in accommodation spaces(there goes my Rinnai)

3. Surprisingly, there is no restriction on the length of flexible hoses, just the comment that they should be as short as practicable.

4. Stoves are to have flame failure device

My gas guy has also told me that the gas locker should have a 75mm dia ventilation inlet, but I have not been able to find any reference to this so far - want to avoid having to cut this hole if I can.

Appreciate any further info other poeple can be provide

Wheels - 121 is owned by Mike of Lighthouse Marine, he is there more often now supporting Vince and Shaz who run the shop.

I think this answers IT's first question

http://www.energysafety.govt.nz/consumer/safety-alerts/portable-showers

the head is the worst location of the lot because the heater is consuming oxygen and emitting CO in a very small space. Interior califonts were banned in USA and Europe a long time ago

Re second question, I would suggest very very few.

Prior to my next insurance renewal with Vero, due to my yacht's age I have to submit a condition report. One of the questions is "LPG - Installation to NZ Standards"