Combining steaming and anchor light

tryig to tidy up my running light set up (actually don't have a steaming or mast head anchor light)

Given the boat is under 12m it is acceptable to combine the steaming and stern light as an allround light.  Seems to me then that the simplest retrofit is a single allround white light at masthead with a seperate stern light when under sail.  Still three circuts (p/s running lights / stern light / mast head light) but has the advantage of only one light aloft a rotating mast, well clear of interferring with jib etc.

Any good reasons why I shouldn't do this?  The only things I can think of is that the "steaming" light would be significantly higher than the p/s lights which might pose issues with others quite close behind

I was under the impression (rightly or wrongly) that you can.

When running under motor or motor sailing you are considered a power boat and thus "May combine their stern and masthead lights to one all-round white light."

When you are sailing you  "Must show red and green sidelights and a white sternlight. These three lights may be combined into a single tri-colour light mounted at the top of the mast on yachts less than 20 metres in length."

As per http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/Publications-and-forms/Lookout/Issue-17-10.asp

I spoke to a couple of people who indicated that this was correct and thus our tri color with all round white light worked for all areas. At anchor, At sea sailing and At sea motoring.

Thinking back i should have just called Maritime NZ :/

tryig to tidy up my running light set up (actually don't have a steaming or mast head anchor light)

Given the boat is under 12m it is acceptable to combine the steaming and stern light as an allround light.  Seems to me then that the simplest retrofit is a single allround white light at masthead with a seperate stern light when under sail.  Still three circuts (p/s running lights / stern light / mast head light) but has the advantage of only one light aloft a rotating mast, well clear of interferring with jib etc.

Any good reasons why I shouldn't do this?  The only things I can think of is that the "steaming" light would be significantly higher than the p/s lights which might pose issues with others quite close behind

correct, the steaming light needs to be above the sides, I know there is a minimum, not aware of a maximum distance

Yeh - happy that it's "within the rules", just wanted a sanity check.

Not the "rules" are all that sane - the YNZ regs make it mandatory that no sector light should be fitted to a rotating mast.

correct, the steaming light needs to be above the sides, I know there is a minimum, not aware of a maximum distance

No maximum distance.

Minimum distance 1 metre

Agree with your plan Scottie -

Sailing - side lights and stern light

Motoring - side lights and all round white light

anchoring - all round white light.

If wanting to avoid running wiring to the masthead your could fit a steaming light low down on the mast and just hang an anchor light when needed.

I made a fitting years back where the battery powered anchor light clipped in to a fitting on the front of the mast - turning it into a steaming light.

Beccara -

Can you clarify what lights you have on when motoring?

cheers Rigger - yup that's the idea. 

I thought about a battery powered light but then you've got to deal with battery charging each day but I guess that's not a biggie.  I do have the perfect place to do this on the mast as well

trying to keep things simple - don't have anything that needs removable bats on board at the moment which seems to be what most portable anchor lights use. 

The LED lights are great and batts seem to last for ages - someone had a light with built in PV cell in it.

BUT tend to agree that having wired lights is easier.

I never got round to having a socket/charger below for stowing the light.

Has anyone considered using fibre optic cabling rather than electrical.

Thanks Beccara - misread your earlier post...

There is an avert for my optolamps on here - they are the ones with the pv cell in them. Off in the day, on at night automatically. Meets all colleges up to 24m. Happy to discuss, pm me anyone interested.

Be aware of LED's. As in, make sure you buy the proper thing for the job. NOT a Garden LED light that I have seen so many use. There is a minimum distance that lights must project to depending on Boat size. 1Nm for small boats and 2Nm for larger ones.
Coming through the Strait last night was a shocker. So many very poor lights on Commercial Ships. The only boat I saw that had a perfect set of lights was the Pilot Boat coming out of Tory early hrs this morning. Although I have to say, I was at first quite confused. I could clearly see a red and assumed at first it was Port. But hold on I thought, he is transiting from left to right across my bow and so why am I seeing a Red light. He can't be going backwards :wtf: Then I notice he had a White over Red, which i assume must mean he is a Pilot Boat. Why on earth di the powers to be in the early years say, right chaps, I can see this could confuse a few, how bout we use some other colour rather than Red. No Bob, not Green either.

Whilst the all round masthead white light might be technically ok when motoring I don't think it's wise in crowded coastal waters. Reason being someone approaching you from your stern will usually be expecting to see a white stern light fairly close to deck level (unless you're a ship). They won't be expecting your white stern light to be at masthead height.

So I wouldn't risk it. I'd be nervous of a faster launch hitting me from behind.

Yeh that's the way I've been thinking as well.  Can then also use the same light as an anchor light suspended on a halyard.  My problem with this is that I'd like to have it powered off the houe batt rather than "portable".  That means a plug inside a pod compartment.  Okay with that - just the wear and tear on the cable is what worries me.

So maybe I'm just making a bigger problem than I need to and should stick to a portable light.  The railblaza light fits the bill nicely and then I just need 12DC battery charger for the AAA's (or a box of batteries!)

Whilst the all round masthead white light might be technically ok when motoring I don't think it's wise in crowded coastal waters. Reason being someone approaching you from your stern will usually be expecting to see a white stern light fairly close to deck level (unless you're a ship). They won't be expecting your white stern light to be at masthead height.

So I wouldn't risk it. I'd be nervous of a faster launch hitting me from behind.

I thought about this but when i did the math it didn't looks so bad.

At 0.5 nautical miles the angle different from a boat behind is 1.4 deg going from 0.1deg to 1.5deg, This does increase up close at 0.1 miles from 0.6deg to 7.6deg but they should have done something by then if they have seen you from 0.5mile mark

I thought about this but when i did the math it didn't looks so bad.

At 0.5 nautical miles the angle different from a boat behind is 1.4 deg going from 0.1deg to 1.5deg, This does increase up close at 0.1 miles from 0.6deg to 7.6deg but they should have done something by then if they have seen you from 0.5mile mark

I would have also thought there would also be little difference approaching from astern between a yacht under power using an all round white light and a yacht under sail using a tri-light. Having said that I would still prefer the lower stern light/steaming light/port starboard lights in the harbour as its easier for others to understand.

I'm not talking about 0.5 miles I'm talking about 0.5 boat lengths! I nearly ran into the back of a dawdling runabout coming into gulf harbour one dark night - I only just saw him in time from the glow of his cigarette and throttled back.

Imagine driving a launch looking through a rain-sodden windscreen on a dark night peering around for buoys, nav lights and other vessels. Your vision is programmed to near-sea level not 10m+ high.

Masthead lights are great for offshore but using them in coastal waters and crowded harbours is inviting trouble for yourself. You might be technically correct but you'll be doing insurance paperwork!

Go deck level.