floating hotels

Cruise arrivals are now New Zealand's third largest holiday market behind Australia and China, with an estimated 267,800 passengers landing here during the 2015-16 cruise season.

...the cruise sector added $436 million to New Zealand's economy in 2014-15 and supported 8365 jobs.

In the 2015-2016 season, the number of passengers is expected to increase by 33 per cent to 267,800 with 176,000 estimated to be transit passengers.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11598176

And on the Superyacht front I see Mirabella 5 here the Ron Holland design -worlds biggest sloop- or was?

I believe one 88 thought they would take on the cruise ship- not smart and could cause issues for the rest of us sailing evening races.

Interesting, but this looks to me like more marketing than realism. Yes, it allows them to see the flooding characteristics, but the model only heels 15 deg, and the "sea" is calm. The vessel does not have the really high superstructure like the pics, as far as I can tell. It is tethered from the top as well. I'm not sure you can do real stability tests with a model. Some features don't scale well. including waves....

And on the Superyacht front I see Mirabella 5 here the Ron Holland design -worlds biggest sloop- or was?

I believe one 88 thought they would take on the cruise ship- not smart and could cause issues for the rest of us sailing evening races.

Actually, I'd have thought it was not smart for a cruise ship with generally a more relaxed time schedule than, say a container ship, to leave during the busiest hour of the week on the harbour

Also, maybe there would be issues for a particular yacht getting in the way, but id like to see someone try and stop Wednesday evening races! Good luck with that....

That would make us the 'city of fails'

Actually Clipper, the Squadron and others on our behalf have been fighting this for years, you may believe that you have a god given right to sail down past the commercial wharves anytime in front of anything, however in the interests of yachting in the inner harbour and encouraging cruise ships to dock here- there have to be practical compromises. For those that watch the flags the start boat signalled correctly last night, possibly not understood by the sportsboats. However I can see both sides of this and some previous miscreants were given the opportunity last year to view what its like on the bridge of a ship heading out by Ports of Auckland and now realise how worrying it is to see a yacht head under your bow. Being aware and sticking to the rules will avoid a disaster, no one is racing for big money or a big cup on evening races and the squadron has pointed out this out only recently. 

Actually, I'd have thought it was not smart for a cruise ship with generally a more relaxed time schedule than, say a container ship, to leave during the busiest hour of the week on the harbour

Relaxed time schedule.... Not from what I see. A delay at one port can mean having to skip the next port.

They book years ahead.

Actually Clipper, the Squadron and others on our behalf have been fighting this for years, you may believe that you have a god given right to sail down past the commercial wharves anytime in front of anything, however in the interests of yachting in the inner harbour and encouraging cruise ships to dock here- there have to be practical compromises. For those that watch the flags the start boat signalled correctly last night, possibly not understood by the sportsboats. However I can see both sides of this and some previous miscreants were given the opportunity last year to view what its like on the bridge of a ship heading out by Ports of Auckland and now realise how worrying it is to see a yacht head under your bow. Being aware and sticking to the rules will avoid a disaster, no one is racing for big money or a big cup on evening races and the squadron has pointed out this out only recently.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it is ok to sail in front of ships, just that the behaviour of one boat will be likely to have consequences for them, not the clubs.

:-)

The ones that left the other night were going pretty slow, we came across from the other side of the harbour as one went past expecting it to be long gone by the time we got to where it was, turned out we were going nearly as fast as it was... We were on a 40 footer doing 6 ish, it must have only been doing 8 knots or so?