Owhanake Bay

Guest 000

We have been frequenting Owhanake on Waiheke's NW corner over the last few days, and I wonder about the submarine cables shown on my chart, admittedly out of date.

There is a small Bay on the starboard hand as you enter Owhanake out of which the chart shows a cable, and ashore are two cable markers. However, the chart also shows a cable coming from the beach at the head of the bay. There are no cable markers for this one and I notice that people anchor with no apparent regard for its supposed existence.

Can anyone tell me if it is in fact still there?

I raised this issue with the hydrographic office and have recieved a reply from both them and the harbour master.

I cant post their email reply to the forum from my tablet. If anyone knows how to do this then I am happy to forward the emails to you.

via chrisc

Dear Linz,

I am seeking clarification as to the physical existence of a cable indicated on one of your charts.

The cable in question is in Owhanake  Bay which is situated on the NE corner of Waiheke Island, Chart No. 5324, Tamaki Strait and Approaches.

As you will see from the chart, as you enter the bay one cable is shown entering a small inlet on the starboard hand, and another cable is shown going through to the beach at the head of the bay.

I believe that the cable going into the small inlet on the starboard hand as you enter the bay is there, given that there are two cable markers on the beach. I question whether the cable supposedly going to the head of the bay exists as there are no cable markers on that beach and I notice that when the bay is full with vessel's over summer, they anchor with complete disregard to its charted position.

The fact that there are no cable markers for it together with the fact that I have never heard of anyone hooking it with their anchors leads me to doubt it's existence. Would you kindly clarify please.

ChrisC

We have had an email regarding the existence of cables in Owhanake  Bay, Waiheke Island.

The customer questions the existence of such cables.

We hold no record of the cables.

Are you aware of any?

>The cables are charted and as such we portray the safest depiction. If we can’t disprove their >existence we intent to keep the features on the chart.

>Best regards,

Gareth Hodkinson

Nautical Cartographer

NZ Hydrographic Authority

My understanding is that the cable in the centre of the bay (going to the head of the bay), may be disused. I cannot confirm this, but I have heard stories of people bringing up ‘bits’ of this cable in this bay.

That’s the only information I have. Therefore I lean towards leaving it on the chart, as there is something there (but we do not know it’s status).

Regards

Christiaan Moss | Deputy Harbourmaster

'we can't disprove their existence'!

Just feckin awesome!

Should really be

'We can't be bothered to disprove their existence'

As noted above its really not that hard to check if it's disused and if it isn't then to have it removed!

well....

they might be saying

there seems to be a cable there

we'll leave it on the chart as no one's going to remove it and anchors probably shouldn't be dropped there due to the chance of getting fouled

I talked to the spark guy at the boat show , along with numerous others apparently.

One is dead, one is alive.

Unfortunately that's more than a week ago for this ' my mum fed me out of aluminium pots' guy so I can't remember which one is the goner.

carry on.

It's about as useful as the (apparently) phone disused cable in Stockyard Bay, Kawau. It swirls across the bay just waiting to be picked up. Can't imagine too many landlines in that bay needing a cable. Yes surely it's time to pick up cables in popular bays that aren't being used!?

Larry Ellison (ORACLE) pulled up a power cable to Motutapu with his super yacht Katana ages ago and had to pay (a lot - $140,000 to $160,000) for a replacement. I know the article says "from the mainland" to Motutapu but I don't think there is one from the mainland?!?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=887799

Anyway are these two cables the damaged and replaced ones? I don't know? 

Anyone know where Larry had his accident? 

If it is a power cable it will belong to Vector. According to their website they do not have any cables in the bay.

https://vector.co.nz/documents/101943/102620/Vector+submarine+cable+locations.pdf/cbe671f4-2d18-4195-a551-c83a2eac1205

I cant find where the telephone cables run.  If these are discussed power cables then surely they should only be marked as a hazard?  I find it astounding that neither of the official parties can be bothered working out if they are there and used.

Found a council hazard report.  Also says power comes from Maraetai.  No mention of where the telephone cables are but I found this:

nfrastructure

The island has less infrastructure than mainland Auckland. The roads are mainly narrow and in many places unsealed and unlit, especially on the eastern half of the island. The Waiheke Bus Company (owned by Fullers) services most inhabited parts of the island, linking to the ferry sailings from Matiatia.

Waiheke is connected to the North Island’s electricity network via twin 33 kV undersea cables from Maraetai on the mainland, terminating on the island at a 33/11 kV substation in Ostend. Each house must maintain its own water supply, most collecting rainwater in cisterns, and must install a septic tank and septic field to handle sewage. This is a requirement in every building consent.

A fibre optic cable running from Rocky Bay connects the island to the internet. Internet services are provided using VDSL and ADSL, with fibre optic rollouts planned for some areas. Internet speeds are significantly higher in the more developed western side of the island. A locally owned WISP provides internet, however prices are significantly higher than DSL and fibre based competitors.

The community established a charitable trust which bid on Auckland City’s contract for solid waste disposal. After winning the bid, it was implemented with such success that the recycling centre soon had to be expanded to handle the volumes.

The island has a lively press, with two weekly newspapers vying for attention: the long-established independently-owned Waiheke Gulf News and the Fairfax Media owned Waiheke Marketplace. A community radio station, Waiheke Radio, is broadcasting on 88.3 FM and 107.4 FM after Beach FM lost its licence in a commercial bid in 2008.