Townson Regatta

This weekend is the annual Townson keel boat regatta off Browns Island run by the BBYC, so if you wish to see some classic kauri sliding round that's where they will be, 32's both days and the other designs just Saturday

And it is joined with the annual Pied Piper Intergalactic championships this weekend at BBYC too - so those that want to see Plywood floating around come watch also! ;-) (They are a Townson after all!)

Entered? Who are we kidding, we may be old and wise but the young piedy guys are still hopeless and forget to enter!

Entered properly we have Jim Beam, Rat Bags, Moneyshot and MotoMouse. But unofficially i know of two more coming, maybe more...

We had a Piedy way way back when at least twenty boats would race with Akarana.  Tightest racing we ever did but kind of sad to see so many of the names have changed.  I think you lose the history of the boat when you do that and I always thought many of the names like "Dancing Mouse" for instance, were pretty cool.  Ok, now I'm going nuts trying to remember some of the names.  

The Fleury boys had "Rising Damp", there was  Waimania, Lelant, Triumph, Pied Piper of course, Minx, Rat Catcher, Ratz, Motamouse, Beep Beep, Party Piedy, Humbug, Clarinet as above, Hot Water Pipe, Jim Beam, Tartar, Woodstock, Livewire, Pinotage,  help me here people, I've only got nineteen!

I started keelboat racing on a Reactor but after watching those stroppy little buggers come planing past us …….well….

Couldn't agree more re name changing - cant help feeling that it has helped devalue the class, and the new owners have no idea of the top boats from the past. Party Piedy was Ragalag, Quandary now wrecked , Vestalia, Wiwiki now Rumgo, Mercia the original. Oananiche- think that was the spelling.

I always wonder what happened to the grey one from okahu bay , it had some Foreign language corruption of rat or mouse as a name'

Can keel and carbon mast. When I saw it it had no bottom in it at all , got talking to the young ( self described) renaissance men who owned it and they told me it 'came up for an antifoul'.

We had a Piedy way way back when at least twenty boats would race with Akarana.  Tightest racing we ever did but kind of sad to see so many of the names have changed.  I think you lose the history of the boat when you do that and I always thought many of the names like "Dancing Mouse" for instance, were pretty cool.  Ok, now I'm going nuts trying to remember some of the names.  

The Fleury boys had "Rising Damp", there was  Waimania, Lelant, Triumph, Pied Piper of course, Minx, Rat Catcher, Ratz, Motamouse, Beep Beep, Party Piedy, Humbug, Clarinet as above, Hot Water Pipe, Jim Beam, Tartar, Woodstock, Livewire, Pinotage,  help me here people, I've only got nineteen!

I started keelboat racing on a Reactor but after watching those stroppy little buggers come planing past us …….well….

Yeah you do a little, but after alot of the big do ups the boats get changed to hide how bad they once were i suspect... And Clarinet is a pretty wimpy name for a boys Piedy - Rat Bags sums these boys up way better!! The boat is owned by two brothers who bought her as a project with their old man, they did all the hard yards themselves, and have a pretty cool knowledge of the boat now which is cool!

Rising Damp became Moneyshot, Waimania became MissBehave i think, Triumph last i heard was in Tauranga and i think hit rocks and was written off. Pied Piper is still at BBYC owned by the Harkin boys, Lelant is in Opua getting a 10 year long rebuild - needed a new keelson but i think is sitting upside down in a shed. Minx is still around somewhere, last seen with awesome varnish cabin sides!, Motamouse is still around, Hot Water pipe is racing this weekend as Admiral E, Tartar is out west still owned by Ian, Woodstock is in Milford, Pinotage is still around last seen in Halfmoon Bay looking good, Livewire is at BBYC too and well looked after.

who remembers back at a squadron weekend(mansion house still had the elephant bar)it was around the island race and a piedy went past "buccaneer"?from memory Tom Clarke shout the boys beer all night early 1970s?

what happened to serinta?spelling might be wrong..

Serenita was from memory Euan Guys first Piedy and family boat, probably a victim of name changing too, a real pity the large number of Piedy's from Milford Creek did not attend the Townson Regatta in the weekend -well run by BBYC and in perfect sailing conditions, especially as they had been offered free berths at Bucks if the tide had worried them.