Farr 1020 class rules

boots

I see in the Farr 1020 class rules state

One Twin headstay luff groove device but only one headsail can be attached at any time.

does this mean no peels with 2 sails up at once as seen in the Simrad 60

I would be interested in the intent behind this rule. I have twin groove headsail track and dual halyards and have noted this rule previously so don't use them while class racing i.e. Simrad.

The headsail material choice is free so I assume it is not expense constraint related.

The potential for an arms-race is an issue for any class and the 88 association has gone through a couple of big rules clean-ups (years back now) with the accompanying discussion about the status of existing boats if the new rules go through. Back in the day some boats went in the water with headfoils and those who already had 'em were grandfathered when they were later disallowed. Ditto with the second set of spreaders, engines in the middle of the boat...you name it.

I also remember a mate launching a 1020 in the ...ah...early 90s and having to take off a Tuff Luff and also roller-bearing headsail cars at the time.

Sounds like the current headfoil approach in the 1020s leaves you in no-man's land with equipment that you may not be able to use.

Can't find the edit button! Just going to add that it makes it frustrating for all involved where the intent is not clearly spelt out within the rule and the allowable use comes down to individual interpretation.

I'm all for strong class rules but this one did stand out somewhat given we could run carbon headsails if we wanted. I wonder how many 1020's out there have dual track/dual halyards that can't use them during class events.

I would have thought the great majority would have dual tracks as most have furlers. I don't know about the dual halyards. Farrari looks to have been fitted with both at launch (1987).

The Trackers are in a slightly different position as there is an even mix of those that have furlers/track vs. those that use hanks. I don't know of any that have dual halyards.

I see in the Farr 1020 class rules state

One Twin headstay luff groove device but only one headsail can be attached at any time.

does this mean no peels with 2 sails up at once as seen in the Simrad 60

So is this an illegal practice in a class event?

As I see it the rule is to "equalise" hanks and foils and as such one headsail needs to be pulled down before another is hoisted when "class racing".

However a 2nd genoa halyard can still be useful as a spare for when the crew lets go and it goes up the rig ! It can also be used as a spare topping lift and on occassion can be used as a spinnaker halyard (not ideal).

to play devils advocate this then begs the quesiton what is attached, reading it as most seem to be the advantage is still with the boat with foil as if the guy with hanks "attaches" all of the hanks before dropping the first sail then they are in breach of the rules so there fore needs to drop sail one, and attach the foot and head along with all the hanks, vs guy with foils who drops sail one, starts hoisting and attaches foot before it gets to the top.

Would probably be better for the guy with hanks if he could attach the foot and all hanks and possibly even the head then drop and remove hanks on sail one as it come down then hoist the new one immediately.

Maybe the rule actually penalises when it is itended to help?

I would argue that you couldn't have 2 sails up a twin foil at the same time the way that rule is written.

It does state, assuming it was posted here as it is written in the rules - One Twin headstay luff groove device but only one headsail can be attached at any time.

'only one sail attached at any time' and in reference to the foil rather than halyards and/or sheets, being the key here. If 2 sails were up, even if knot attached on all corners to something I'd argue someone's stepped a tad too far over the line.

Sure the intention could be something else but intentions aren't the rules so whatever the intentions may have been they are irrelevant, it's what is in black and white that counts.

I think it's one of those ones you need to find Protest ruling over, I'm sure there would be one for that out there somewhere, or ask a protest committee to make a ruling i.e. protest, if you want a definitive answer.

to play devils advocate this then begs the quesiton what is attached, reading it as most seem to be the advantage is still with the boat with foil as if the guy with hanks "attaches" all of the hanks before dropping the first sail then they are in breach of the rules so there fore needs to drop sail one, and attach the foot and head along with all the hanks, vs guy with foils who drops sail one, starts hoisting and attaches foot before it gets to the top.

Would probably be better for the guy with hanks if he could attach the foot and all hanks and possibly even the head then drop and remove hanks on sail one as it come down then hoist the new one immediately.

Maybe the rule actually penalises when it is itended to help?

"One Twin headstay luff groove device but only one headsail can be attached at any time."

The way I read that is the "only one headsail can be attached" is specific to the "luff groove device" - so if you use any other device (hanks), then you can have 2 sails attached.

But - I would have to read the full rules as it is possible to take one sentence out of context....

My interpretation agrees with the last post:

No limit on use of hanks - you can attach the new sail in between hanks of the existing sail before dropping. Of course you still have to unhank the old sail before hoisting the new.

If you have a twin foil you cannot peel because that involves two sails attached at once. You must drop before hoisting.

There is different wording used in the cruising division of a series to exclude the two headsails flown at the same time (eg: section 1.9 in Simrad NOR), which does not stop you peeling to a new sail.

Second halyard is still a good idea, and something I am considering adding.

If you are allowed to attach 2 sails only if you use hanks - Then that would also allow a hanked boat to set 2 sails at once ie attached hank for hank full hoist on both sails or 1 sail flying loose luffed the other on the forestay again full hoist.

That would detract from the purpose of the rule also disadvantaging the foil boats

Maybe attached in the rule needs to be replaced with "Set" or "except when changing"

Just like not being able to use 2 spinnaker poles "Except when gybing"

Clarification fron 1020 would be good for those involved

LD

PS - I havnt read the 1020 rules

No limit on use of hanks - you can attach the new sail in between hanks of the existing sail before dropping. Of course you still have to unhank the old sail before hoisting the new.

If you have a twin foil you cannot peel because that involves two sails attached at once. You must drop before hoisting.

There is different wording used in the cruising division of a series to exclude the two headsails flown at the same time (eg: section 1.9 in Simrad NOR), which does not stop you peeling to a new sail.

Having sailed in the class for over 15 years (and current class measurer) thats how I read it and understand it as being interpeted... I guess unless someone takes it to protest you won't get anything better.

As far as a hanked boat having two headsails up at a time downwind... when is the oportunity ? Races like the Simrad don't allow it for the cruising divisions. Class racing generally uses Spinnakers (def better than 2 headsails) and I don't think you can pull that stunt in a rum race either.

Archived