need someone that knows how two sail two please help

Guest shane

You have me totally confused,wanting advice to put your boat on a trailer?now you want someone to sail to Gt barrier,how to heat up your boat, The best thing and probably the safest thing you could do is.  Go from bow to stern and make sure is sound,have all the right gear on board,as at one stage you wanted to sail to whitianga? maybe sail around Thames until you get to know your boat before looking to go Gt Barrier.     You haven't got a brother on another site known as "Pugwash' by any chance "PriceOfFish" this sounds all so familiar!

You are going to struggle getting anyone to Sail with you this time of the year. It is too darn Cold. Plus, no one wants the kind of "adventure" you would likely get this time of the year trying to Sail South.
      I'm really confused too. You never follow up our replies is the problem. That would be helpful and don't post the same questions all over the place as it is confusing us all. I have seen posts asking for help from Ack to GB. GB to Tga. Then we get a post saying you are in GB. Then you are in Napier. Then you are back in Ack. And now it's sailing from Thames to GB. Mix in the trailering questions and I think I get the picture you have not left Auckland yet. How Thames comes in I am not sure.  
Shane!!!!
Where are you exactly?
Where do you want to eventually get the Boat to??

Maybe we can come up with a better idea.
I am really concerned (and this is likely why you have no one putting their hand up) that you have a Boat that is not fit to take the Journey. That you have no sailing skills what so ever. That you have no money what so ever. Not that money, or lack of it is an issue, but we are all wondering what safety gear you may or may not have.
I think that you are trying to bite off way too much to chew. You certainly need some help. But you are best to stay where you are for now and when the weather gets warmer again, ask for someone that can teach you to sail and they may be able to help with advice on what needs to be down to your boat to be able to take on Coastal Cruising. NZ is the most challenging Coast line in the World to sail, with the exception of just a couple of other spots in the World. If you get caught in Bad weather taking on the East Coast, you likely will not survive unless you know what you are doing. It is NOT a place you want to have an "adventure". Both my wife and I are well and truly over adventures out there.

• Upvote 3

reminds me of last xmas/january,really wanted to cruise east side of colville but with NE and 2 boys onboard,if turns to custard I am really on my own.so settled to play on western side and got in to lovely spots that normaly just by past.So Shane have a play around in the shelter of rangi/motuhi till you get the hang of things or if in Thames have a sail up to coromandel and back and see how you go.Whats the name of your vessel??

• Upvote 1

You are going to struggle getting anyone to Sail with you this time of the year. It is too darn Cold. Plus, no one wants the kind of "adventure" you would likely get this time of the year trying to Sail South.

I'm really confused too. You never follow up our replies is the problem. That would be helpful and to not post all over the place, the same questions. I have seen posts asking for help from Ack to GB. GB to Tga. Then we get a post saying you are in GB. Then you are in Napier. Then you are back in Ack. And now it's sailing from Thames to GB. Mix in the trailering questions and I think I get the picture you have not left Auckland yet. How Thames comes in I am not sure.  

Shane!!!!

Where are you exactly?

Where do you want to eventually get the Boat to??

I am really concerned and this is likely why you have no one putting their hand up, that you have a Boat that is not fit to take the Journey. That you have no ailing skills what so ever. That you have no money what so ever. That you are trying to bite off way too much to chew. You certainly need some help. But you are best to stay where you are for now and when the weather gets warmer again, ask for someone that can teach you to sail and what needs to be down to your boat to be able to take on Coastal Cruising. NZ is the most challenging Coast line in the World to sail, with the exception of just a couple of other spots in the World. If you get caught in Bad weather taking on the East Coast, you likely will not survive unless you know what you are doing. It is NOT a place you want to have an "adventure". Both my wife and I are well and truly over adventures out there.

Some very good advice there. You sound short of experience and cash. Both are required for safe coastal voyaging.

The other danger is I can imagine you trying to encourage some "crew" to join you. A lack of experience on their part will render them blind to the risks they are taking and the whole thing would have too higher chance of ending in a tragedy. Such an event happened not so long ago: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/10045483/Catastrophic-event-cause-of-yacht-foundering

People tackling what you are proposing would typically have a good budget behind them, time to pick the weather gaps, many years of solid sailing experience and quite likely to have formal qualifications at Coastal Skipper level or better to enable them to plan their passage and manage the navigation. The lack of a person in this category stepping forward to help you might be telling you something...

• Upvote 2

Shane here is a bit of advice,please join coastguard and do their day skipper course.I personally think you will learn a lot,end of year they do a cruise around some of islands and point out anchorages etc.

possably at this stage best bit of advice I can give you or if you are in Auckland could possibly go for a short sail with you.Help you get familiar with the yacht and things. When it goes wrong it goes wrong quickly and yes we have all been caught out at some stage.

• Upvote 1

Indeed, I feel that Wheels has really spoken what quite a few of us here have been feeling. When things are heading wrong, you need to have experience and knowledge as well as the vessel being fit for purpose. This means the vessel not only needs to be sound but you need to have the right safety gear, emergency gear and know how to use is. When the poo hits the fan, you also want everything to be reliable. Not just your motor, but your winches, sheets, rigging , steering gear etc. Most people can deal with one issue - but compound that with 3 or 4 problems and even the most experienced and skilled sailor can get overwhelmed. The better prepared and set up you are, the less likely you are to get compounding issues. Even very well set up, you will get occasional problems. 

If you lack any of the above when you need them, your going to become a statistic. Learn to sail with people who have experience sailing. Believe me ( and most others on this board who have been offshore ) when things are going wrong and your out of all but SSB and satellite communications range, without the ability to get someone to tow you home, or to come and assist you, you suddenly realize just how dependent you are on your own skills, your vessel and your skills at equipping the vessel with not only safety gear but also spares.

As Wheels noted, the East cape can be treacherous- I have had some concerning times out there in both yachts and motor vessels. It is not gulf cruising or hopping along the eastern harbors and bays of the northern half of the north island where shelter and safety are often, quite literally, just around the corner..

But in saying this, Shane, don't feel that we don't want you on the forum ( indeed, you sound like you may need some of the knowledge that is shared on here ) but please do follow up on your posts, and whilst we realize that english may not be your first language, please try to give fully detailed posts, and not to hop all over the show with what your asking. Give context and background to your request or question, and people will take a lot more notice. 

Shane,I take it we are still talking about a Allen wright Variant 23ft bilge keeler?missed the bit on east cape(forget it) I am keen to go with you for a sail.(not Barrier though) now having taken a  hartley ts16 from kawau island in 1986 in company of a 30footer we chose the day se 10knt,laid right in wellington head and only spent 2 days so I could get back to kawau island with ease,would I do it again? NO.presuming your going from Thames to Tryphena,easy enough trip if you work the colville peninsula then its only 10/12 miles across but need to watch wind/tide between channel island and colville,tidal overflows. Really need a day with wind behind rather than on the nose,they are not fast boats. basic safety gear,life jackets harness flares preferably vhf imo better than cell phone. What sort of motor do you have?? good reefing system on main,slab type,quick and easy even though you have a lot of sail flapping by boom,do not bother with a number one headsail,number 2 good strong sail and a storm jib, is foresail hanked or on furler? dinghy Hmm,from experience towed on long painter so it can not overtake if going down wind,had this problem and when tension came back on dinghy let go so a shock cord was added. What is the motive to go to GB?first cruise?would be better off to come across firth and play around bottom of Waiheke/ponui.  Yes I have a cav 26 and no have not done the Barrier yet,due to wind direction and short time frame,Been out there on a lot of bigger yachts and might just be me,did nothing for me,prefer the inner gulf/kawau/coromandel . Anyway If you want help,message me,most sundays I am free at this stage,so picking if Thames and Tidal midday tide would be best?

Before anyone thinks I am leading this guy up the Garden Path,it is a genuine response,I am prepared to help him or anyone for that matter as few in the past have sure helped me out.

when was on catsailor forum

was a young lad, Sven?, asking about coastal soloing his hobie 16 off massachusetts? in autumn

he was advised not to, as it was pretty cold and that if flipped 1 person wasn't enough to right a h16 without a righting bag or pole

he did it anyway and all was good for some time and he reported lots of fun flying off wavetops

until it apparently flipped 1 afternoon 

no one reported him missing until midnight

but they got a big navy? helicopter and a big launch out looking for him

and they found him.

but it had been too cold

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=236292

when things are going wrong and your out of all but SSB and satellite communications range, without the ability to get someone to tow you home, or to come and assist you, you suddenly realize just how dependent you are on your own skills, your vessel and your skills at equipping the vessel with not only safety gear but also spares.

Absolutely. One thing that became very clear to me on our Trip up and back, there are huge lengths of Coast line that if you get in trouble, you are on your own. If you are in trouble due to ruff Weather, then even more so, because a lot of places that could perhaps send a boat out, simply have no show of doing so. We have a very sobering and isolate Coastline around this Country.

Back to Shane and him wanting to get away this time of year. The weather has been far too wrong to even contemplate it. A day or two at best of maybe favorable, which would get you halfway to somewhere and then in comes a major Weather event that would try even the best of Sailors. 

erice, that's a really sad story.

• Upvote 1

I would take up PC (HarryTom)s offer too if I were in your position Shane. He's a bloody good sailor, and that's not something I say about many people. 

Straight up good guy, will help you out the best way he knows how.

• Upvote 2
Guest shane

Harrytom I'm interested. Phone me on 02102261595 I live on the boat. Just came from Auckland two coromanel town then coromanel two Thames. Have not been anywhere else. :) thank you so much for all the help on here. My boats name is wings.

• Upvote 1

will ring wednesday after 2.00pm and before 9.00pm,see what we can work out,funny thing i am in thames wednesday morning but cannot stop,work,there for a 1hr and on again, i will ring.

Guest Crew.orgy

Shane, good on you for giving the whole sailing thing a go. And good on you for buying a boat and getting stuck in at the deep end.

Even better... good on you for asking for help!

NZ sailing needs more Shane's to boost its numbers and supporting industries.

If more people got more adventurous and stepped away from Latte's mobile phones... we would be back to the good ole days!

You don't have to join a yacht club, or be part of the corporate YNZ, or even own a boat.

Just talk to people, and give it a go!

Back in the day we had huge fleets of young sailors and there were never the vast array of free club boats to sail. Yet we saved our money and got a boat.

Nowadays it all there for young people. Every club has a fleet of club boats... but alas they appear to sit unused.

Over in Europe the fleets are fantastic the kids are into it in big numbers.

A month ago I was in Vigo, Spain, at the local champs. 200 boats. Just awesome.

Shane. If your budget is small then I understand why you ask the questions you do. I also know that walking into some clubs can be difficult and not always welcome. And membership may be a barrier... but try anyway. There is always one guy who will help out... and a free sail is a free sail.

If cost of safety gear is prohibitive the think smart and prepare well. After all many a old salt sailed the gulf in old dingies, fishing gear, basic gear and food, and a tent/ upturned hull.

Nothing has changed other than over the top safety conscious PC left wingers seem to have more say.

The best times and memories are sometimes the cheapest and challenging experiences.

Adventure does not have to cost moonbeams!

Guest shane

Thanks so much :) i am 21. I have no income. It makes it so hard but I ask for help with food for my two dogs and i on a facebook help page. No one in my family and i did not get brout up arould the sea i had a dream two be a farmer malking cows. But that dream when away when i found a boat for about 200 on trade me no moter no mast. I moved out off home at 13teen and hitchhike nz with my dogs i was 16 teen when I found the 200 boat now my dreams two sail around nz and then the world I just feel so good at sea and love it so much. Its really amazing place out there. I Fell in love with the sea. :)

Dreaming to be farming and milking cows is currently a bad dream. Or a nightmare, if you understand just how much it costs to milk cows and how little we are getting paid!. But like any dream, if you stick at it, you will get there. But please do not go outside the gulf until you know what your up to. As Wheels said, help might be literally just over the horizon, but might as well be on the moon. Even Helicopters, pilot vessels and the coast guard have their limits, and they will not risk themselves or their gear. They have an opps and there is no one left to rescue them, and you.

Guest Crew.orgy

Thanks so much :) i am 21. I have no income. It makes it so hard but I ask for help with food for my two dogs and i on a facebook help page. No one in my family and i did not get brout up arould the sea i had a dream two be a farmer malking cows. But that dream when away when i found a boat for about 200 on trade me no moter no mast. I moved out off home at 13teen and hitchhike nz with my dogs i was 16 teen when I found the 200 boat now my dreams two sail around nz and then the world I just feel so good at sea and love it so much. Its really amazing place out there. I Fell in love with the sea. :)

Good on ya mate. And don't forget to hang around boat yard looking for some work. Start at the bottom and do the dirt the crap work for low wages but look and learn. Soon you will be the apprentice and boom!!!! You will be building your own boat and sailing the world.

Keenness, loyalty and hard work will get you there!!... and the is nothing better than being paid to work on and around boats!!!

God... you sound like me!