Another life gone

So once again, small Boat goes out in ruff seas, no life jacket, it all goes wrong and Teenager is lost. The main cause, small Boat going out in ruff conditions even after being warned that they should not go out there. Second cause, not wearing a Life jacket when going out into conditions like they were.
Although in saying that, I am not sure a Life jacket would have helped in those conditions anyway. The cold would have got him, along with the constant battering of the Sea. Simply, they should not have gone out.

A life jacket (WITH A CRUTCH STRAP) might have given him the buoyancy and strength to swim to shore with his mate. It might have also allowed rescuers to pick him up before hypothermia became irreversible.

That said, when we tested my "life jacket" it didn't prevent an "unconscious" person floating face down.

We seriously need to rethink "life jackets". http://kmccready.wordpress.com/2014/01/15/lifejackets-lifejackets-and-sissies/

yep I reckon a lifejacket would have saved him.

his mate was wearing one and managed to swim the 500 metres to the beach. 

oh well he won't make that mistake again. lets hope that the fizz boaties learn from this.

Darwins theory in practise I guess. 

philstar, this website is a public record, I don't think your comment is appropriate.

I tried to make my comments useful and respectful and I really feel for the family and friends of the missing boy. I don't blame the boy for his lack of knowledge of proper safety.