log paddle wheel

what to put on wheel to avoid fouling?tried anti foul,lanolin,grease

it is almost hard against a bulkhead and so remains inside hull and only put in when making a longish passage. thought about moving it but another hole and a patch.

Same issue. well not for where it is positioned. But being so far down, when I remove it to replace with the blank and vice versa, the jet of water shoots out of the bilge, all over the floor above and I get soaked in the process. So I leave it in. But then I get a few months and lose speed on the log. I have tried everything as well. In fact I got the best from Lanocote grease. But still not much better.
I remember a fitting that I have never actually seen. It has a little trap door on the end that when you pull the log, the door closes and stops the water entry. But as I said, ever seen one. Maybe it doesn't exist. I have often thought about trying to invent one. But never had time to think through it.

I never use it, my phone's gps tells me how fast I'm going. Bilge stays dry.

Sure and my chartplotter's gps does the same thing. But having the water speed and Wind speed/direction added to the plotter info, I get all sorts of helpful navigation info.

I'm not aware of anything that keeps fouling off a log impellor. Would be interested to hear if anyone has tried the crc soft seal of the max wax as mentioned in the other thread on keeping growth off a prop shaft. Similar applications.

Nexus did a log with a flapper in it, but it was moderately large, I.e. the transducer was a size up than what we needed. Added $$$. Of course Nexus got gobbled up by some big corporate monster who's name I can't remember now.

I'm sure if you had enough $$$$ you could get an ultrasonic speed log. The technology is available, so must be one available commercially somewhere.

Yep, there are ultrasonic logs. But they are not accurate enough for decent calculations of wind and current angles at this time. Even the really high spec race boats are still using paddle wheels at this stage, even when budget is not an issue.

When you're a yotting dinosaur you just look at the length of the hull wave and you know how fast the boat is going compared to the GPS reading. Same as guessing the wind speeds before listening to the nowcasting and always  getting it right , cept for Tiri which is up on a hill.You budget for that.

Twisty is really good at it.

Yep, there are ultrasonic logs. But they are not accurate enough for decent calculations of wind and current angles at this time. Even the really high spec race boats are still using paddle wheels at this stage, even when budget is not an issue.

Have you looked at janus config log transducers?