A new Toy I built

Do you make 10mm chain hook thingies?

Yes there is a 10mm.

8mm is the smallest I make. Simply because it is too hard to get inside to weld anything smaller. Plus there are cheaper alternatives for the small chain brigade and often anyone using less than 8mm chain have rope to chain. 8mm and up tends to be more the all chain brigade.

KM sells 8 right right up to 26 and the 26 is a hell of a lump of SST. The 8mm which are in the Pic are not made with quite the same love of finish as the bigger ones. Once again, due to size and also due to the real flash boats that want to show off " bling" tend to have chain of 14mm and up.

They are not the cheapest thing, but there are hrs and hrs of work and every part is hand made from flat SST and then shaped and ground and welded and ground and then polished. I decided to try electropolishing because I was hoping I could get the things close to finish and drop the final hand polishing part. But I have found that is not possible. You have to get the surface down to 320grit to get a good finish. So that means you end up polishing them anyway. I will still EP them because it leaves a superior hard chrome rich surface over hand polishing. And it has been fun learning about EP. An expensive learning experience, but a lot of fun.

I have made small changes every time I do a batch to make improvements.

We put lots of time into developing them in the beginning. They are not just a simple hook as such. They have a specific break out loading, with the idea that the hook should let go just before the Chain (if it is a real chain, not Chinese) distorts. So the weld on the inside that smithy doesn't think is flash, is actually laid in there in a specific way to " cup" the link and support the side wall. When it does let go, it doesn't actually fail. The teeth splay outward and let the chain go and then you can press it back to shape with not too much loss in strength. If it is done once or twice at most that is.

All other forms of hooks on the market tend to damage the chain once the limits are reached and there is nothing worse than a chain damaged part way down it's length. Hopefully this saves the chain, but if one is in that kind of blow, there may well be other problems anyway.

I tool a couple of pics of the hooks today as I was wrapping them up for courier. Dang it's hard to take a pic of something so shiney. I could not get the camera to focus. Or it was something i was doing wrong.
So here is the small 8mm and the big'un. Which can also be used for protection should someone sneek aboard one night ;-)
The second pic is the inside of the big one, but it didn't focus properly. So you will have to squint and cross your eyes and pretend you are looking at the Welds.  It is showing the welds in case anyone is concerned. ;-)

DSCF0382.JPG

DSCF0377.JPG