Marina fees hike

smithy ouch lucky it was a hydro test and not a pneumatic test, it would have cleared the decks for some distance.

Yeah. Scary huh? "Seeing failures not seen since the 1930s" was an interesting statement.

Fair enough on that vessel failing but I could also point to a NZ built vessel that failed in much the same manner a few months ago.  No doubt about it though quality can be an issue but most of the boilers made these days are from China, Thailand or India.  The issue is mainly around false independent testing houses issuing test certs that mean nothing or are downright false.  

Really? We used to build boilers and air receivers in the workshop in Wellington where I did my time, and we NEVER had a failure like this. I'd love to know where that failure was you are talking about and the cause!

squashed?

Deflated ;-)

SloopJohnB, on 03 Oct 2016 - 2:59 PM, said:snapback.png

smithy ouch lucky it was a hydro test and not a pneumatic test, it would have cleared the decks for some distance.

Yeah. Scary huh? "Seeing failures not seen since the 1930s" was an interesting statement.

Yikes, would anyone ever pressure test a vessel using Air? :wtf:

What pressure did that vessel fail at smithy??

Reminds me of a mate that used to work for AirNZ as an engineer. They were filling an aircraft with oil. A simple drum with a regulator at 3Psi is all that is used. They had a new Apprentice and he plugged the drum into the main Air feed with no regulator. Young apprentice was left standing on the back of the truck wondering why everyone was running away.

Smithy, the failure was not actually due to the steel quality, more the welding. My point was more that people are very very quick to blame the chinese for poor workmanship, however I've seen some pretty shitty welds on pressure vessels made in NZ.

The vessel I'm talking about was a pressure vessel that was built by a NZ company that was apparently pressure tested and passed that lasted one day in service. Analysis we did (when in doubt always blame the water treatment guy) showed the welds were of very poor quality.

The other night when on TV, it showed the Town where a new Water front walkway was Built and Chris Carter said that under law, they had to put up a Railing so as people didn't fall in and Drown. I was thinking about how long it would be before Marinas had to put railings around the Fingers to stop someone falling in. :roll:

I stumbled across this today: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/we-could-up-fine-200k-far-north-mayor-warns-over-boardwalk-safety-liability and thought I remembered it being mentioned here.

As well as being pure madness (think of all the publicly accessible wharves you know around the country... magically, people actually manage to avoid falling into the water), IMO it's a sad situation when a local community isn't allowed to make their own decision about their harbourfront. What I also find sad is that I think the boardwalk as built really does a nice job of connecting the community to the harbour; a handrail would create a very different effect.

manganui.png

That's it MarkMT.
It's a waterfront where you pull up to with your boat and attach lines etc. And they have to put a Railing on there.
I noted that IT made mention about it being required on many walkways, but I wasn't referring to a simple walkway. This is like having to put a rail on an actual Finger. This is all just becoming over the top expensive madness. Where is this all going to end.

sadly - society demands that we cater for those who are completely ignorant of their surrondings.

I'm always on high alert when I'm on a wharf with my two sons - the younger stays on my shoulders the whole time as I don't trust him not to jump off while the younger is read the riot act prior.  I've told a couple from onr of our far eastern neighbouring countries on one occaisson, politely of course, down the viaduct somewhere that they should pay more attention to their baby strapped into the stroller siting hard up against the stop and more than 2m from them, than to getting that perfect selfie.  When I see something like that I sh*t myself.