Dingy Ideas

Right I need to find the ideal dingy for the yacht, needs to take 15Hp engine which I already have, needs to be suitable for the Islands, kids and hard use.  I started looking at the usual alloy bottom RIB's which we have always had but I really don't like them sitting on the deck when offshore.  That got me looking at the Takacat or the TrueKit advantages being they can be bag packed away and don't seem to have a soggy floor like the other pump boats

What are peoples thoughts here?  Anyone used a Takacat long term and are they any good?

• Downvote 1

I bought a takakat lite, thinking it might replace my old 2.9m aquapro rib. I was disappointed frankly. It was wetter to use, the floor was never dry as the drain in the transom was not in the bottom, so you got wet feet whenever you stepped in onto the floor and it had handling I didn't like much. Went quickly back to the aquapro, after only a couple of hours use of the tackakat. I folded it up and put it under the front bunk until we got back to NZ some 6 or 9 moths later. Then I sold it. Within the first month the new owner reported it had split a seam, and the NZ importer would not cover it in warranty, as it had changed hands.

IMO, there is no substitute for a good alloy hulled rib, especially for offshore cruising. It's your car. No inflatable resists coral like alloy! The bigger tubes the better, and it needs to plane with the family aboard.

Personally, I'd make sure there are some good through bolted u bolts to strap it to, inverted on the deck for passages. I carry mine like that, never been an issue. Davits would be useful sometimes as well. All just my opinion, of course.

• Upvote 1

Hi your talking a 15 hp motor , that's a serious heavy motor needing a 3.6 boat plus , to store that needs a 60 footer boat an motor

Nope. I have a 15hp, used for years on my 2.9 aquapro, I can pick up the motor and put it on the rail. I get the weights backwards, but either the motor is 32 KG and the dingy is 38, or vice versa. Dingy fits on the foredeck of my 40 ftr. Motor is carried on the aft rail.

The 15 is GREAT for cruising, and enables planing and fairly long dingy trips ...

I have a 2.5 m f/g dinghy that I like , looks like a little shark cat so more stable than most. I am fitting it with an inflatable collar made from 70 mm fire hose and good wheels , won,t handle 15 hp though.

I like the idea of having a dinghy made or modified to qualify as a liferaft for cat 1. Bernard Rhodes made one for his cat based at Waiheke.  Seems  more useful than a liferaft that you have never seen out of its box, and you could potentially get yourself to safety instead of just drifting and hoping for rescue and it won,t need  expensive inspections or replacement every few years.

Yeah a 15hp is just so versatile, I can lift it onto the boat or use the main halyard, and once you load a dingy up it enables you to stay on the plane with a big load on.  2.8m is about the smallest you can fit the 15hp onto however I saw some nutter with a 15hp on a 2.5m once, it was very fast!

I'm looking at the Takacat Sport seems no one has really used them as a long term dingy.  My concerns are coral attack, the novelty of putting the wheels on and off will wear off pretty quickly, and of course with an open transom, I'm guessing a wet ride and having to secure things.  However plus side is that unlike a RIB, it won't have the first few cm in the bottom covered in sand and dirty water permanently!  Does anyone know how firm the blow up bottom in them is?  I briefly got into one at the boat show and it moves but not much, the other downside I could see was that the pontoon height vs the floor height meant your legs were permanently bent slightly.  

Positives are it's a cat and they turn and handle real nice and once you get them up on the plain, they are more comfortable in the rough.  Other positives, it folds down into a bag which I like.  

The main reason is that my deck space is a bit limited due to inner forestay and baby stay in the way.  

Cheers team.  

The Takacat floor pumps up quite hard.

I don't like their open transom models so I have the 280L which I think has been replaced by the "go"

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/dinghies-rowboats/inflatable/auction-1178513907.htm

I don't think that will handle 15hp.

The main advantages are the extreme light weight and they are easily the best inflatable I have owned to row.

Not sure I would own one as a full time cruiser dinghy, just too light in the construction.

Let me have a go at what BP wants. Something to row, maybe sail. Rigid, probably nesting? Let's see how close I am!

I agree that ribs, and inflatables in general are crap for rowing. But, they are incredibly stable, can carry very heavy loads, won't sink, can still be used full of water, are self fending over size fenders, and effective tugs.

IMO this all outweighs rowing.

Others disagree of course!

3.4mtr Southern Pacific with a 15hp Yamaha, Not perfect but hard to beat. Carries 2 divers & gear & planes ok,

or 3-4 pax & planes.

Would like a cat RIB but the Takacat doesn't look up to it to me.

18hp Tohatsu is the same weight as a 15 yammy, but 20% more power, that's definitely an upgrade in the wings! 

Motor weights are interesting;

According to a quick web search, the Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke is 

• 15FMHS : 36 kg
  • 15FMHL : 37 kg

Mercury current model 15 - Lightest is 41 KG, older model was 32KG! It was the same as the 9.8Hp, but diff carb etc. Current Merc 9.8 is 26KG

Tohatsu 18hp 41 KG

Looks like the yamaha is the right one at this time??

Bugger I've got the Merc but I can lift it.  It's the American version so maybe different spec and lighter, however it goes like a cut cat.  We have the Tohatsu previously great engine and yes a bit faster.  

Looking at the True Kit https://truekit.nz/products/true-kit-navigator?variant=27273772934

The 3.0 metre version looks interesting and they look a bit stronger to me than the Takacat.  

Sounds like the same merc that I have  - 32 Kg :-) been a fantastic engine and only obsolete model in the last couple of years, despite mine being a 1997 model.

Anyway, my comments on that dingy. Like the tacakat, I reckon it will be wet in a head sea. Might be wrong though...

The other issue with the cat designs is pulling it up on the beach. If you can't carry it (likely with a 15hp, some fuel, and only 2 people) then the bottom of the tubes is easily abraded, esp on rock - or worse, on coral. 

An Alloy rib stands up to this much better, as the v hull keeps the tubes off the ground....

I reckon the biggest dia tubes and the largest outboard you can carry is the go.

Like choosing a boat there is no correct answer. Only a best fit.

Reasons to like inflatable s

They can be stowed below deck

They are light.

They are buoyant.

They have built in fenders.

Add an aluminum bum and the first two disappear.

Reasons not to like inflatable s

You are utterly dependant on an out board motor. As on your life deponds on it.

Outboard motor means carrying fuel.

When the fuel runs out you have to go home.

You have to carry tools an d spares and spend time doing maintenance.

So if you had a light buoyant stable ply dinghy a rib would be at a disadvantage. That is not too hard to find. At a fraction of the cost of an inflatable. With a much longer life expectancy

BP, all valid points if you don't have kids, gear and have to go long distances.  I've been down that route previously with a lightweight dingy that could row and had a small outboard.  Only problem I found was we never went places i.e. out to that awesome reef for a dive because it was too far etc.  

Anyhow I'm going to take a look at the truekit when in Auckland next time and decide from there what to do.  Ah the joys of having a smaller boat, you have stowage problems!  With the cat we simply had a big 3.5 RIB and davits on the back! 

Weight sure is an issue.

Aquapro 2.7 rib is 35 KG, 3.1 is 43

My current Chinese POS 2.8 alloy rib is 38kg. Not that much more than your timber dingys, and lighter than some...

I agree with southernmans point about distances travelled, capacilty, speed, and safety.

We would sometimes go 10 miles or more from the boat for diving, exploring or whatever. Once came back with bad conditions and waves that completely filled the inflatable, 3 People and dive gear. Slowed us down a lot of course, but still pushed through it home. With the 15hp.

Each to their own of course