Best Bilge Pumps

Right on Willow, Whale gushers are my manual pump of choice. Simple and easy to maintain and clear in the event of a blockage. Even so, pumping water is hard work and I've been thinking about an engine driven puimp too. Possibly a 'T' in the line from the water inlet to the engine salt water pump with a pipe from the 'T' down into the bilge. Put a valve in it someplace and it could provide some breathing space in the event of serious water ingress.

Having said that, nautical lore says the very best bilge pump is a frightened man with a bucket.

The best is a scavenger pump on the driveshaft. Can move a hell of a lot of water very quickly.

I use a couple of Henderson mk1v double head pumps. Pretty good, self priming, but tiring if you have to do it too long.

Johnson 2000 GPH is the primary electric one....

With electric ones, are sure they are the ones with removable strainers for cleaning. The cheap TMC ones don't have that.

The most important part of any pump is the strainer, needs to have large surface area so it doesn't block too fast.

Bilge Pumps are either submersibles or or diaphragm usually, both can't handle trash in them

So any good quality brand, the larger the better, it's the type of equipment you hope to never use but if you do you want regret spending a bit extra on it.

I also like one at least to have a long suction hose so you can go scavenging as the water never runs nicely to where you want it.

Rule is supposed to be the best Pump brand. Supposed to be. Attwood is also supposed to be, but I have had nothing but trouble with them. However, I have heard others rave over them. I must say, Attwood have some great design idea's.
What I don't understand is the price we pay for these kind of Bilge Pumps. They are pretty cheaply made after all.
At some time, I am going to install another pump as a backup and also as a cleanup pump. One I can suck the last dregs a centrifugal won't pick up and as said above, a long roving hose I can take to each bilge and suck up the dregs.
I use one as my Holding tank pump out. It moves a lot of liquid and handles all sorts of trash. But if you want the Armstrong model, the Whale Gusher range as already suggested is also a great idea. m32657_0000001271_1.jpg?height=1500&widt

the Rolls Royce of manual pumps (at a price to match)

http://www.go2marine.com/item/23684/edson-manual-diaphragm-pump-lever-action-side-inlet-30-gpm-117br-200.html

on a more budget basis I second IT's nomination of the Henderson Mk V, toughest plastic body pump around

for a large capacity electric pump I have gone with one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Rule-Evacuator-8000-High-Capacity-Submersible/dp/B0084A9K40

finding a hose you can stow is a bit of a challenge, I bought a lay flat hose which is not the best solution, as I could not find the alternative "concertina" style hose.

A separate engine drive impeller pump (1.5 or 2")is a good step, do not consider using the engine's own pump - one blockage and the impeller will be history, besides on smaller engines these do not have such a high flow.

The issue with the shaft mounted pumps (Erickson etc)is that the shaft has to be turning for them to be operating and in a flooding situation you may not necessarily want to be moving.

Another alternative is a Pacer

http://pacerpumps.com/industrialPumps.php

Dashew fits these with an hydraulic drive to his expensive motorboats.

An option if you have AC is a submersible centrifugal, or have the space to stow a separate motor driven pump.