Fast Mount

As many will know, YNZ now require your floorboards to be fastened so they won't fly around the boat when she has just rolled past 120 degrees. Finding a way to fasten all my floorboards for Cat 2, yet allow them to be easy to lift was an issue until I found these awesome Kiwi designed and built clips from Fast Mount. They come complete with a drill, a tapping driver and centre locators.

You screw the female part to a floor cross member, then clip the centre spike to it. Press your floorboard into it's place, and your centre is marked. Bore a 10mm x 8mm deep blind hole with the special drill they give you, then tap the male part into the floorboard with the tapping tool they give you. Clip is mounted. Repeat until completed! Sooooo easy!!

Available from QCD in Auckland. Cost me about $80 for all the tools and 15 clips. Made in Murawai apparently!

IMG_6696.JPG

IMG_6697.JPG

• Upvote 1

Are those countersunk screw heads holding the female part on? Plastics and csk screw heads do not mix -- amazing how often you see it though, even from big brands who should know better. Heavily glass reinforced plastics can be OK, but that part looks unfilled.

For better longevity, I'd replace them with pan heads, with a washer if required to bridge the countersink recess.

Are those countersunk screw heads holding the female part on? Plastics and csk screw heads do not mix -- amazing how often you see it though, even from big brands who should know better. Heavily glass reinforced plastics can be OK, but that part looks unfilled.

For better longevity, I'd replace them with pan heads, with a washer if required to bridge the countersink recess.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. In smithy's pic the female part is secured differently, but the male part was planned to be countersunk. Levering it off at 15 kg might tear it from its home before it releases from the female part.

No you don't have to have floorboards for any Cat, but if you do the following applies.

The rule is all objects that could cause injury in an inversion incident must be secured or words to this effect

I think they are really designed for panels to stay put but if you put a couple of slots in each floor panel so you could get a finger hold you could rip all the floor up in no time in an emergency. Some of my ply floor panels are warping so have screwed them down which is a pain and I would think a hell of a mission to get them up in a rough sea.    .  

Nice work smithy

Floor boards, bunk boards, things like galley boards or freezer lids will all have to be fixed - anything that could fall, move and possibly cause damage in a knock down or roll over.

We use a variety of fast mounts mainly in super yachts. The load carrying and range is very adaptable

From sailing on the boat last weekend with these fitted, they are awesome.

I think smithy fitted around 2 each end on the larger floor boards and 1 each end on the smaller ones. they are easy to lift the floorboards but hold them securely in place. 

No lanyard required the floorboards just pop up with a sharp tug. 

Great invention. 

Sorry guys. Been busy and not kept up with this thread.

The fast mounts I used were good enough to hold the floorboards in and nothing more. They would not hold any loose objects underneath them. I think they are primarily designed for wall and ceiling panels.

The csk screws were my doing because the plastic bits were countersunk. Pan heads may be better for sure but I didn't have any at the time... The floorboards need a sharp tug to release them. The Marshall's floorboards are warped and nasty though. I used 4 mounts per floorboard but if they were flat and fitted well, possibly 2 or 3 would be enough. The male part self taps into the floorboard. It is a very cool system. Now I just have to find a nice way to secure the chart table, freezer lid, cave locker and aft locker as YNZ have a major hard on about lids that are not 100% fixed. The hinge alone ios not good enough apparently. Also, be prepared for a price hike for cat 1 and 2 medical kits which have a lot more in them than previously...

Oh, and if you don't get how they work, check out the installation videos on the website. Very good..