Farr 6000 too small for Bluewater cruising or out to GBI?

You're right, Doc. Those comforts are nice to have, but then comfort levels are inversely proportional to the desire to go sailing and the money available for such an enterprise.

As I said, I wouldn't go ocean voyaging again in a boat a few inches shy of 18 foot but that experience has stood me in good stead.

I am totally content in the H28 which is small by today's standards but comfortable, easily handled and cheap - I don't believe you should ever invest more money in a boat than you can afford to lose. Those years in the little 18 footer taught me the joys of small boat cruising and I am particularly blessed to have a wife of the same opinion.

There is really no tale to tell.

I had come through Panama and was within the Galapagos Island group. The wind was very light, sea oily smooth and in the early hours of the morning I had a collision with a whale. The boat took on water beyond the capacity of the pump. Took my grab bag and fired off a flare that got the attention of a trawler just a few miles away. Was in the water for a short time, not days as was reported in some newspaper. The original 'fake news'.

Still, losing that boat after all the adventures we'd been through troubles me even now after all those years and is best not remembered.

Well Erice, you got me thinking, and after a long search for barely remembered photos I found a few stuffed into an old suitcase in the Attic.

They're digital photos of photos originally taken with as crappy camera,so what you see is what you get. Sorry.

The one with me in it is not to show how handsome I once was but to give an idea of space in an 18 foot cruising boat.SV300010.JPGSV300009.JPGSV300008.JPGSV300007.JPGSV300006.JPG

I dunno, Sabre. She was derelict when I bought her for $250, and named Calypso but known to all and sundry as Collapso.

Someone who claimed to know said she was a Yachting World dayboat from the early 60's. I wouldnt know about that.  I re-ribbed, re-gunwaled, re -decked. built a cabin. self draining cockpit and designed a plate steel keel with a bulb and rudder. Actually the keel and rudder was a joint design effort drawn on paper napkins by a load of drunks at the yacht club bar. I was constantly amazed by what a well-mannered little ship she proved to be.