Fan worm found in Golden Bay

That first photo in the news story makes it look rather attractive. I wonder if it will become a tourist attraction, snorkel trips. It will keep the water nice and clear...

That first photo in the news story makes it look rather attractive. I wonder if it will become a tourist attraction, snorkel trips. It will keep the water nice and clear...

at the focus group 

the marketing guy said they didn't want to use pictures 

because it looked too pretty

Here's a thought, instead of just standing there with ya hands on ya dicks how about actually doing something. Morons!!!

Yep, instead of spending vast sums of money trying to eradicate some pest once it has arrived, they should be putting money into stopping the damn things in their tracks as soon as it arrives. Such as more money to search ships, Fumigate Containers, inspect more stuff, Xray more stuff blah blah. In the end, it would be cheaper because everything would be stopped before one thing got out and caused us to spend the same anyway trying to chase it's tail.

In Westpark today there were 2 guys surveying my side of the dock, one diving and the other recording.  Had a chat and they said they were actually looking for 3 things, fan worm, sea squirt and something that sounded fancy.  Said that most often they find them on the underside of keels.  To me this is obviously where you can't antifoul, if the boat is sitting on it's keel.

He mentioned underwater antifouling as if it was a thing...

He mentioned underwater antifouling as if it was a thing...

Should've asked him about instaradicate... It's the reset device that removes unwanted pests...

The nelson city council owns tne travel lift here and have doubled the price of a haul and tripled the price of the hard stand in tne last two years.surely if they were worryed about marine pests the travel lift should be made available for free so we could all have clean hulls,surely this is the cheapest and most sensable option if they were serious about controlling the issue.

But it is against Council rules to Clean a Hull in the Water. Yes I know many do, but in fact, it is against the rules to do so. Unless you can fully captivate the fouling and the coating you remove. And yes I see the stupidity of that when the Fouling is supposed to self release while underway and the coating erode as well, but them's the silly rules made by them silly people.