Confiscated flares on arrival in nz

Doesn't seem to comply with the law then, unless he had more than one month supply, or more likely didn't have the correct documentation with him. A possibility if he prescribed to himself.

He was quite happy to comply with nz law.He did declare it luckily.

I think comes down too declare everything even if not required to cover all bases,Last year I brought in frozen crocodile steaks,professionally packaged,declared it,mpi went through there list of food and it was safe.

Now the yacht in question arriving in picton and clearing customs,could they argue they need the flares to safely complete there trip if they were to depart to sail to Auckland?seems a little bit strange as they can go ashore and buy exact same flares.

You're all going round in circles arguing semantics.

Fundementally, Customs produce a Yacht Pack for rec. vessels entering NZ which is, using their words "ALL you need to know". In that pack is a form where, among other things, you get to declare both flares and restricted med's. Nowhere in their Yacht Pack, nor indeed anywhere on their website do they provide a means to apply for, or fill out a form for, a permit to import for a rec. vessel.

That in my view is not acceptable, and frankly incompetence. The Yacht Pack hasn't changed for 4 years so someone has fucked up and should go because they are wasting my taxpayers dollars.

It is important to keep this in reasonable context. We are talking about first aid / emergency medical equipment on an ocean going vessel. I can tell you that having the original doctors prescription, proof of the vessels medical officers credentials (and no it dosnt have to be a doctor,) declaring any and all such drugs on entry is acceptable and normal. (and a criminal offence if not declared)..

Importing a class "a" drug such as morphine is a crime. ...only if it is done illegally..

I'm not sure being "qualified to administer" the drug would make any difference at all.   It makes a big difference ...it proves the "intent" and integrity of the vessel.

​The location is usually noted. Often the vials are checked to see if they are sealed and all is noted for potential checking on departure. This is not conjecture or maybe ...This is fact !!

And yes it is a serious business and should be treated so. 

So at the end of it all, it seems to be a case of a person being in a position of power that exceeds their level of competence?

OK, so who is going to push this up the line and make sure that something is done?

The problem is, this is all just anecdotal. It needs someone who is actually affected to make a complaint.

Or it needs an effective boaties association to take this up. I'm seriously considering starting one when I get back to NZ as I can't see anyone taking up these issues in a serious way. YNZ seem to be into racing and that's it, even though their constitution covers issues that affect all boaties.

Likewise! We need an effective association and method to push this stuff up the line and fight for our interests. I'll join that association, btw.

This subject, flares removal from vessel, has been discussed on a face book page "women who sail new zealand". It is a closed group but my good lady follows it. The peron and nvolved in the initial incident has updated theoutcome to say that they have been in contact with customs and they are assisting them resolve the issue, return the flares and prevent further confiscations occuring. So all hopefully resolved.

Interesting to follow the ladies facebook group and compare to ours here. In the face book group discussion the originl poster updates the final resolution of the issue, there are constructive comments and actions taken by others (one person notified mnz and raised it as an issue) and there are some very experienced ocean and coastal sailors posting.

• Upvote 1

This subject, flares removal from vessel, has been discussed on a face book page "women who sail new zealand". It is a closed group but my good lady follows it. The peron and nvolved in the initial incident has updated theoutcome to say that they have been in contact with customs and they are assisting them resolve the issue, return the flares and prevent further confiscations occuring. So all hopefully resolved.

Interesting to follow the ladies facebook group and compare to ours here. In the face book group discussion the originl poster updates the final resolution of the issue, there are constructive comments and actions taken by others (one person notified mnz and raised it as an issue) and there are some very experienced ocean and coastal sailors posting.

Yes it is my better half who raised it on there. We have approached customs independently of the officer in question, and have been asked to send through all the details and they will "sort it out". We've sent through all the relevant details and are waiting for further news.

As Matt said it's also been raised with ynz, I'm not sure whether there's been a response from them yet.

• Upvote 1