Jump to content

Engine pre-purchase inspectors


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, waikiore said:

Almost all of the 1020s had that Volvo and bit by bit they are being replaced (the2020) the MRXs have a number of spare engines to keep them going. Yes I believe they are better than the 2003 series but still not to be confused with the current D1 series (a totally reliable Japanese engine marinised in UK by Perkins and sold as Volvo) 

The 2020 and 2030's were Shibaura engines imported and marinised by Perkins. The Volvo D series are the product of the Perkins/Shibaura JV, with engines assembled in Perkins UK factory.

How many know that the Volvo MD22/ Perkins Prima was based on the Leyland "O" series engine, which originally appeared in motoring legends such as the Austin Maxi, later versions of the Morris Marina (the only worse English car of that time I can remember was the Hillman Avenger) and later the Austin Princess🤣 . Perkins made the diesel conversion to go in the Austin Maestro 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, marinheiro said:

(the only worse English car of that time I can remember was the Hillman Avenger)

were you never subjected to an HC Viva?  What a shitbox they were...

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

were you never subjected to an HC Viva?  What a shitbox they were...

Yep, the admiral had an HC viva. Seem to remember I could remove the engine in about 20 mins! Had to do it multiple times...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, aardvarkash10 said:

were you never subjected to an HC Viva?  What a shitbox they were...

missed that one. There is an article in the latest issue of The Shed mag on John Haynes of Haynes Car Manuals fame, it sounds like the aforementioned Viva was what really got his business going😅

How many people realise this had its origins back to the Viva?

1972 Holden LJ Torana GTR XU1 | Review | SuperCars.net

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Island Time said:

Yep, the admiral had an HC viva. Seem to remember I could remove the engine in about 20 mins! Had to do it multiple times...

rumour has it you could get wingnuts fitted on the bellhousing as a factory option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, marinheiro said:

The 2020 and 2030's were Shibaura engines imported and marinised by Perkins. The Volvo D series are the product of the Perkins/Shibaura JV, with engines assembled in Perkins UK factory.

How many know that the Volvo MD22/ Perkins Prima was based on the Leyland "O" series engine, which originally appeared in motoring legends such as the Austin Maxi, later versions of the Morris Marina (the only worse English car of that time I can remember was the Hillman Avenger) and later the Austin Princess🤣 . Perkins made the diesel conversion to go in the Austin Maestro 

Austin Princess is my favourite ugly car of all time , the poor buggers getting dropped at school in those cars couldn’t hide for all the massive windows

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 44forty said:

Austin Princess is my favourite ugly car of all time , the poor buggers getting dropped at school in those cars couldn’t hide for all the massive windows

the scary thing is my father wanted to buy a Princess for my mother. We convinced him to instead buy a Chrysler Alpine, a car that was brilliant in concept, won lots of awards but underpowered by a gutless ex Simca motor and terribly assembled by Todd's. Put me off French cars for life 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, marinheiro said:

the scary thing is my father wanted to buy a Princess for my mother. We convinced him to instead buy a Chrysler Alpine, a car that was brilliant in concept, won lots of awards but underpowered by a gutless ex Simca motor and terribly assembled by Todd's. Put me off French cars for life 

and the constant rattling from that roller bearing crank!  OMFG.  Only the french would do that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ovlov would be the last place I would go to for checking or working on a Volvo (speaking from experience) unless you have far too much money!

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...