OOOPS!

Elenya

Sorry guys don't have any other information. There may be some info via a google search. This does show why we tell people to keep out of the way of ships, they don't just stop! or turn! and they usually come out better off.

I have a photo of the Reactor sailing yacht from the Tamaki River collision/sinking if anyone can shrink a photo I can email it to them to post. Can't do it here sorry.

cheers

This does show why we tell people to keep out of the way of ships, they don't just stop! or turn! and they usually come out better off.

One would have thought that being parked against a wharf, as the blue and white vessel was, you wouldn't be expected to be getting out of the way of a large ship though. :think:

One would have thought that being parked against a wharf, as the blue and white vessel was, you wouldn't be expected to be getting out of the way of a large ship though.

This does show why we tell people to keep out of the way of ships, they don't just stop! or turn! and they usually come out better off.

One would have thought that being parked against a wharf, as the blue and white vessel was, you wouldn't be expected to be getting out of the way of a large ship though. :think:

Fair comment..I was refering to vessels not tied to wharves or moorings, or anchored.

But... if he had have got out the way he would not have been hit. :D

.....WOAH....So many questions !! like was the tug hooked up when it T boned the other boat ? Why was the big boat going bow at the warf in the first place regardless of the "little blue and white fender"....

assumi8ng the crew of the little blue and white fender where actualy on board down below having a nice cup of tea....unless they had the main running, and a lightening crew of line handlers, a gentle knock on the door asking them to move up a wee few meters may not be quick enough....

Somebodys goin ta get their arse kicked...

Sad to see the damage to the Reactor. That is Quita, which used to be Ted Holloway's boat (may still be for all I know). I used to race against her 25 years ago, and even did a few races on her when not racing my boat at the time.

At least the damage doesn't look too bad.

.....THE owners of a tuna fishing vessel which sunk after being hit by a bulk grain carrier at Port Lincoln early this month have launched a $28 million lawsuit against its captain and crew.

Documents tendered with the Supreme Court claim the negligence of the Grand Rodosi's master and crew caused the vessel, the Apollo S, to sink to the bottom of Boston Bay.

Grand Rodosi was being guided by two tug boats to berth at Port Lincoln when it smashed into the port side of the 47m-long tuna boat, scuttling the vessel.

The documents claim the owners, Australian Fishing Enterprises, should be compensated $20 million for the sunken boat, $4 million for "costs relating to the replacement of the vessel for fishing activities", and another $4 million for economic loss and salvage.

The owners have asked the court to issue an arrest warrant on the ship, which would prevent it from returning home to Liberia.

Which is why it is registered in Liberia... :thumbdown:

Wow. Reactor 1. Big stinkboat 0. Surprisingly little damage when you consider the big stinker went to the bottom..

My thoughts exactly. Makes one wonder how lite some of these newer boats maybe built.

Reminds me of when the original Deodar got smacked at its berth in Auckland. I was there working on a big yacht and we saw the ship coming - I thought holy s*it it's gonna hit - raced below to grab camera and got first pic about 10 secs after the hit. Will try and dig out, scan and post.

One of the Interisland ferries squashed a fibreglass tuna fishing boat against the wharf in Wellington a couple of years ago.

The Tuna breathed a brief sigh of relief.

Archived