Bay of Islands...

For the past 27 years I've owned a NZ boat named "Inca" (custom burgundy S&S 45' build in Aluminum by Chris McMullen when he ran Steel Yachts LTD in Auckland back in 1973). Some of you may remember the Yacht. It was built for Evan Julian to race in both the Sydney/Hobart and the Admiral's Cup. Next month I'm flying from my home in San Francisco to visit Auckland and charter in the Bay of Islands. Is there anyplace in the Bay of Islands that I just shouldn't miss? We've got the charter boat for only 10 days. I've looked at several guides, but nothing beats local knowledge to help set the priorities. Thanks for any suggestions. Cheers!... Ted Hax

Hey Ted welcome to NZ (in advance) I remember Inca. I was very young then but haven't forgotten the burgundy colour scheme.

The BoI's are great! A couple of things you should try to do:

1. Go to the hole in the rock. It's at Cape Brett which is more or less the southern most part of the BoI's. Depending on conditions and how tall the rig is you may be able to motor through it. It may pay to check as charter operators may forbid you to do it. In which case you can do the tourist thing and go through it in tour boats of various sizes, and speeds depending on what floats your boat.

2. There's a cathedral like cave which you probably wouldn't get a yacht into but you could anchor near it and go into it in a dinghy. Or swim into it. A nice to do thing.

I'm sure others will pitch in here shortly.

Gidday Ted,

Ten days is a really good time to experience the Bay of Islands and - given settled weather, which there is a good chance of at the time of your trip - you should be able to enjoy it all without needing to set priorities. Because it is all so close together, you can wake up in one anchorage, spend the day in another (or two) and return to another one for the evening.

In general, assuming the weather is playing its part, you can forgo the mainland anchorages in favour of the outer islands. Oke Bay is on most people's list to visit on a summer cruise; the Okahu and Waewaetoria passages are also pretty special.

But it's one of those places that you really can't go wrong (other than the fact most people would see a day needing to go into Opua or Russell to re-stock as a day lost).

But just to mess with your mind a little bit:

If you are hoping for the trip of a lifetime, then - assuming the weather is stable, the conditions of your charter allow you to take the boat outside the confines of the Bay of Islands and your crew are up for it - the Cavalli Islands to the north are outstanding.

I think most Kiwis would trade a couple of days in the Bay for a side trip to the Cavallis and they are one place that - if you had had the opportunity but only found out about them after your trip - you would regret missing.

Very much a destination for settled weather however.

An overnight trip up to Whangaroa harbour to the north is a must. Awesome harbour, very secluded, great hotel and boat club. Great walks, but no real beaches. I hear in the latest Boating NZ that a local cannery provide a car for travellers to use. Just return it full! How awesome is that!

Archived