weiti pile moorings

anyone know how much a pile mooring at weiti is and if there is any available? just wondering incase i 'acquire' a piedy :)

edit: or a mooring in tindalls is also an option

edit edit: i just wanna price things up so i know how much owning a boat is actually gonna hurt

Whatever you think it will hurt, it costs twice as much but never hurts! Its a great feeling but you will always spend more than budget! Ive learnt that. And dont forget to factor in the beers you always buy everytime you go sailing haha

When you're putting together your budget for owning a boat, don't forget to apply Coulson's Pi to the equation. Its a constant that gets applied to both time and money and it basically means that everything will cost 3.142 times more than you think it will and, of course, everything will take 3.142 times longer than you allow for.

Coulson's pi ..... pretty much a universal constant.

Unfortunatey it doesn't seem to apply to salaries. :thumbdown:

So Squid, or AA I expect, how much does it cost to join, how long is the list, and once on a mooring how much per week /or month/ year or whatever rental period is?

I am about to move to Stillwater, have a 36' yacht so am keen to know what options I have as an alternative to piles at Westhaven. Romany draws 1.90m - is that an issue for getting into the river?

Still trying to decide whether to offer SBC or WBC my subs - seems to me WBC are more sailors where-as SBC more stinkboaters??

I guess I could go a dollar each way - SBC bar will be closer and hopefully I'll be welcome, but WBC has pile berths which I'd like to get the boat onto.

cheers

nigel

AA will have the $$$, but you would be more than welcome at WBC, it is a great club, we have the piles and our own yard. You are right Stillwater isn't really a sailing club as we know it.

For all costs etc you can see at http://www.weiti.co.nz/Forms.htm Mooring costs vary depending on the length of the boat but look at around 700 upwards p.a. for a permanent allocation and double it for a sublet. a sublet is when there aren't any permanent allocations available but you are put on a mooring on a temporary basis and you may have to move to another mooring from time to time. Not ideal but the alternative is to wait for a permanent and currently the waiting list is around 2 years. You need to be a member of course. 1.9 metre draft is no problem although unless you're a kayak or multihull with your boards up (HOORAY!!!) you won't be able to get over the bar at low tide.

Thanks all. AA - let me get this understood correctly. $700 plus for a permanent allocation where you get to stay put, but twice that and you may have to move about??

Also - "1.9 metre draft is no problem although unless you're a kayak or multihull with your boards up (HOORAY!!!) you won't be able to get over the bar at low tide"....

I am confused. Is access for vessel with 1.9m draft tide dependant? Call me dumb but I have never been up that creek before. Others, but not that one. and without a paddle.

My boat 'Cordite' draws 1.65m, I can get out up to 2 hours either side of low tide, I think for you to be safe I would plan for 2hrs either side of high tide. The deepest part of the channel over the bar seems to be by the pole in the middle. Once you are inside its pretty deep up to the stillwater wharf then you need to keep close to the fore-aft moored boats as its shallow on the wharf side after the hard stand.

My boat is about 200m past the boating club on a for-aft mooring. Its a beaut spot but youi really do have to work around the tides.

My best guess would be that there is around 1m of water over the bay at a standard low tide, but as I have never tried it at low I'm sure someone else might have a beter guess.

We draw 1.8m and can get in 2 hrs ish each side of low tide. We have a little tide programme to confirm the exact time to within 5min, I have calibrated this by dragging the keel more than once... not to be done with an easterly though, definately not today...

The deepest section of the bar is about 1/3 from the bluff, the other 2/3rds being in a line with the outside red marker post, I would say closer to the bluff (north / starboard) than what Booboo says.

There is a lot of soft mud on the bar and it is a long soft rock platform, so low risk if touching it, as long as its not bouncy. For the geologists I beleive the bar is the classic Waitemata group type formation common to the peninsular.

Rocking little club, very good race programme, good hard stand and shed for doing your own maintenance :D :D

Thanks all. AA - let me get this understood correctly. $700 plus for a permanent allocation where you get to stay put, but twice that and you may have to move about??

Hi Romany, I'll answer this bit for you. The others have said it all and there's no point in me repeating it.

Yes as strange as it seems it does work like that. The move around bit seems inconvenient (yes it is) and double the price? (yes it is) Often you get put on a mooring for a few weeks or months while someone is out of the water or away on holiday or something. Currently we have an almost full allocation and the're be no guarantee of a sublet. It's a bummer but we can't help the situation, there's simply more people wanting moorings than there are moorings available. But we welcome all comers!

Archived