Kawau Night Race needs to be renamed

We'd just trickled past the finish boat after cruising up when TVS came whistling towards us. Simany Hulls was sure sending it.

Quite an oar inspiring sight

It really is amazing. With the monohulls we were all in awe of anything under 2 hours.

We trundled up in 3 1/2 and thought that was pretty good work.

Lovely weather up there. warm water, cold beer, good food. We went 2 up and that proved to be a good number, particularly in the light stuff of Saturday around the Island. Had our usual battle with Bealey Hare and held him off both races.

Hopefully the AYBA can get their acts together and avoid the clash. To be fair I don't think it has ever happened in the past and I've seen a few references to the Balokovic being originally on this coming weekend.

We were mulling the clash over on Friday night & I think it's a coincidence due to Squaddie Weekend at Waitangi Weekend & the Balokovic being the first moonless Friday in Feb - just so happened that they coincided.

Of all the starters on Firday night only Predict wind did timed runs and they hit the line on the signal.

No-one lese bothered to do timed runs apart from Thunder who were on the ball starting about 5 mintes after the rest of Div A started.

We timed our run to perfection Col... we wanted to be behind everyone, but not to far behind as we're in cruise mode and didnt want to effect the series with our late single race entry....as the crew pointed out to me on Saturday night, we locked in 9th place!

Approaching Tiri. we saw TVS returning and thought they were going back around Northern Leading Buoy and then back to Kawau.

They had the time slot available to do a second run as well.

:think: I felt sorry for the crew that unlike most of us, did not get the sailing hours per $cost benefits that we did.

Why on earth did the proper boats start first? Seemed Stupid to me. TVS was pretty much there before we started the race (1840).

I'd have thought it would make sense to start the slow boats first, and the fast boats last.

And then we all could have seen the real boats come blatting past us (I was on a leaner). Fun for them, fun to watch for us.

Archived