Unexpected obstacle on the Waitemata tonight?

Murky

Just saw this on the Herald website - the likes of Rigger or KM might know more. Can't quite visualise the location from the level of detail given in the story but given that it's a Wednesday night, there could be a few boats charging around as well:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10706623

Blocks to be removed in harbour cleanup

10:52 AM Wednesday Feb 16, 2011

More than 100 tonnes of concrete blocks will have a new home tonight, after a cleanup of Auckland's Waitemata Harbour.

Ten blocks, weighing between 10 and 24 tonnes were dumped in the harbour at a popular fishing spot near the harbour bridge in the early 1970s and had been a constant source of annoyance to fishers and local residents, said the NZ Transport Agency (NZTA).

NZTA is working with Auckland Council and crane companies, which would use the country's largest mobile crane to lift the blocks out.

The removal was being co-ordinated and partly funded by the NZTA's Victoria Park Tunnel Alliance.

All previous attempts to remove the blocks were thwarted by the high cost and difficulty, NZTA state highways manager for Auckland and Northland Tommy Parker said.

The cleanup was due to begin at 8pm, and would take most of the night.

- NZPA

If any yacht ventured into where the blocks are they run an extreme risk of losing either a keel or a mast.

I doubt it'll be a worry, they are tuck up very close to the bridge in shallow water no one in their right mind would go near them anyway. There maybe a small room lose but bugger all and it would be due to the barges so very visible.

As for the one or 2 off Stanley Point................ :? Knot a biggie but at low tide if someone was really punching that corner they could be a concern.

Wheels, are you still after a mooring block??? 8)

Hehe, thinking te same thing when I read it. :lol:

I hope they don't just haul them ashore and dump them though.They would make an excellent part of a breakwater somewhere.

Why were they dropped there in the first place???

And I'm amazed by the quote "using the country's largest mobile crane" to lift only 10-24 tonnes??? My gf's company has mobile cranes which lift 300+ tonnes.

And I'm amazed by the quote "using the country's largest mobile crane" to lift only 10-24 tonnes??? My gf's company has mobile cranes which lift 300+ tonnes.

Perhaps the need for the largest mobile crane is due to the reach required?

Sorry no other info, have been away

Only 300 tonnes AC? Pfffft! The Derrick Barge 30 I worked on did 3000 tonnes...

DB30-4.JPG

Only 300 tonnes AC? Pfffft! The Derrick Barge 30 I worked on did 3000 tonnes...

Oh, right. By mobile cranes I meant road cranes that can drive themselves to the site on their own tyres, set up and lift 300+ tonnes. The crawler cranes can hit 4 digits but due to tracks obviously need transporting by low loader (or barge).

When I worked on Jade Stadium (chch) they had the two biggest cranes in NZ there. No idea what they could lift, but the boom was so long. Anyway, I was watching the thing move one day, and stones and ruts simply got crushed and flattened by the tracks. I was quite captivated watching that thing when ever it moved. When the Stadium was completed and that crane removed, I was stunned that they broke the entire machine down to individual components. This is the base machine that is. A low loader cam in and they loaded and took away the first load which was just one track. I asked, "why did you take just one track"?? The guy replied, because just one track weighs 90tonnes. :shock:

Speaking of obstacles on the Waitemata.....Check out this mofo snared by a responsible boaty after those king tides the other day,vicinity okahu bay .

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

500mm across and about 4.5 m long. Imagine if the ferry hit that.. if anything hit that at speed.

Yes a few floated off the top of the breakwater where they were stored. Fortunately plenty of club members were around to rescue them and drag them up the ramp. Dock master would have been there if he could get out his front door without swimming!

Archived