2011 SSANZ RNI Leg 3

Bit of a bugger, all the boats that were sending me reports from the water are ..............

... "sitting at their desk in Sydney having a coffee and reading this forum :( "

Brien - interesting correlation between windspeed and baro press

Is that graph on the net ?

Yes I noticed that too. Quite a defined ridge approaching.

Thanks for describing where graph is shown Bardy.

I'm a bit late to get onto net this morning.

just spoke to Damon on the Valium, they are VMG running in 2kts of wind. All is well.

Making the most of the conditions and Waiting for the northerly to kick in.

Said they had a screaming gennaker ride last night getting over 18kts out of the boat.

Go boys.

Great road trip up here to Napier, now sitting on the balcony watching the finish boat being put into the water. First boats are probably a few hours away as there is little breeze here and it is supposed to go to the north.

Stoked to see the 30 year old "Family Frightener" scaring big kids too.

Not to take anything away from the boys on Pepe, but to me it's kind of a given that the boat will be fast when it's had Murray Delacy breathe on it.

What that man doesn't know about making Ross boats go fast reliably isn't worth knowing.

Off the top of my head the Ross's Muzza has built and campaigned over the years include:

930's Telegram Sam, Gasoline Alley

Ross 35's The Manxman and Revs

Ross 40 Revs

And more recently he turbo'd the 780 Kiwi Menace before buying the Animal Farm and bringing her into the now.

The bulb and foil on Pepe came straight from what Murray developed for the AF, as well as the philosophy behind the prod and rig setup. And when it comes to making fast look pretty - just ask Knot Me about his interiors/cockpit layouts!

thaks again to those that are posting the updates and photo's much appreciated from a desk bound aucklander...

looks like a much faster trip than we had 3 years ago....

seem to remember 2 days of upwind work in 25-35 knots...

Shame they won't be in the Nats, as I understand it, I do think the recent changes has made this 930m arguably the quickest one around.

Do you include the crew as part of the "recent changes" KM? What %age of boat vs crew work do you reckon makes the difference in a race like this one?

In a race like the RNI I put crew right up there over the boat. Like most races it's knot the boat as much as how you use it and in long races the crew does become more important to 'boat management'. In this case I did see the crew, from only little knowledge of them I must admit, as the weak point. Probably more due to age rather than much else, which I know is sort of wrong as I was out doing stuff like that at a similar age and are still alive, mostly, today.

There was a question mark over the recent boat changes as in did everyone have enough time to make sure all was up to it, there were some big mods done and as has been shown last week, the west coast can be a right bitch.

So I suppose my 'doubts' were more experience related to the boat and crew as package more than much else. Hence I'm very please to see my doubts appear to be totally unfounded..... assuming they now don't do something dumb like slam into 9 Buoy :) :)

The bulb and foil on Pepe came straight from what Murray developed for the AF, as well as the philosophy behind the prod and rig setup. And when it comes to making fast look pretty - just ask Knot Me about his interiors/cockpit layouts!
Magnificent in finish, engineering of the motor gizzmo and tweaked layout. A visit to AF over Xmas was the tipping point with me and also now the template for my impending changes. The difference between AM and mine when looking in many areas is black verse white. Murray has done a magnificent job for sure. But the credit probably goes to Mrs D for knot killing him while he did it ;)

Archived