140Amp DC/DC Charging System

50 minutes ago, mcp said:

Then custom set your absorption voltage to 13.9v. 

LFP must have tail current termination if the voltage is held at any value above 13.35v. 

13.9v will over charge a lfp if left for long enough.

The Balmar 614 allows a timeout parameter to be set on the absorbation cycle, not paying specific attention to this value could result in over charging.

Without doing experiments on the actual batteries to determine a safe absorption hold timer I could never recommend a value.  Hence I suggest dropping straight from bulk to hold (aka float) and skipping absorb altogether. IMO it's not worth the risk. 

Charge to 14.2v then hold at 13.35v - you can now safely run your engine for 10minutes or 10days without any risk of overcharge. 

25 minutes ago, B00B00 said:

Yup my battery monitor is a Victron BMV 702 as well as my 3 Solar regulators. All Bluetooth on my phone. see attached screenshot of all victron units.

Note that screenshot was taken in at night and the top one is on the start battery hense the different voltage readings. 

Yes there is alternator and battery temperature sensors on the regulator. 

Also a picture of the alternator type and boat for reference. 

Screenshot_20231107_190514_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230919_172827_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230831_214620_Gallery.jpg

You could do well to install a Victron SmartShunt. 

These can network with the Smart MPPT units turning them into a syncronised charger. 

The synchronisation occurs over Bluetooth. 

A boat I helped on recently had three  chargers like you and they were all all over the place. By networking them to the SmartShunt they are now able to fully charge the LFP every time. We've set a charge voltage of 14.2v with a tail termination of 0.03C and it works a treat.

Just need to confirm that the model mppt you have is compatible with the Bluetooth networking option... 

Keeping the alternator cool makes a huge difference for these small frame Balmar alternators. We have  2x 175a Balmar XTs and they very quickly overheat (our 614 is programed to not let them get hotter than 90c) and they very quickly reach that point, then cut their output to about half. To keep them running with a decent output, I have to have an bilge blower sucking the hot air right off the alternator. 

If that fan stops, the alternator will throttle itself back within a minute or two.  

• Upvote 3

Just a note here. That install does not meet ABYC or AS/NZS standards for a Lithium install. That COULD cause an insurance problem. Most of the issue it it has no external comms to "provide visual and audible" warning of an impending shutdown - but it's unlikely to ever shut down as there are, in effect, 4 BMS's making 4 banks...

2 hours ago, Island Time said:

Just a note here. That install does not meet ABYC or AS/NZS standards for a Lithium install. That COULD cause an insurance problem. Most of the issue it it has no external comms to "provide visual and audible" warning of an impending shutdown

As the standard is not legislated in leisure craft it would only cause an issue with your insurance if and only if your insurance company required compliance with the specific (or latest) standard. My insurance policy has no such wording. 

but it's unlikely to ever shut down as there are, in effect, 4 BMS's making 4 banks...

As the banks are in parallel then if the voltage goes high, eg, 14.7v all 4 BMS's will shutdown within seconds of each other. 

Likewise a continuous current draw of merely a few amps that brings a single cell to the low voltage disconnect level will have a cascading effect across all 4 BMS's and they will all shut down within minutes of each other. 

Having multiple batteries in parallel does not reduce the likelihood of a BMS shutdown across all the batteries due to high or low cell voltage. 

2 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

As the standard is not legislated in leisure craft it would only cause an issue with your insurance if and only if your insurance company required compliance with the specific (or latest) standard. My insurance policy has no such wording. 

As the banks are in parallel then if the voltage goes high, eg, 14.7v all 4 BMS's will shutdown within seconds of each other. 

Likewise a continuous current draw of merely a few amps that brings a single cell to the low voltage disconnect level will have a cascading effect across all 4 BMS's and they will all shut down within minutes of each other. 

Having multiple batteries in parallel does not reduce the likelihood of a BMS shutdown across all the batteries due to high or low cell voltage. 

The standards makes no allowance for "leisure craft". ABYC E13 OR AUS/NZS 3004. Just because a craft is not inspected doesn't exempt it . Yes I realize a standard itself is not law. 

Yes, there are situations that could take out all the BMS units together. High (or low voltage) is an example. Much more likely is a single cell tripping one BMS - high or low temp, high or low voltage due to balance or other issues.

IMO. 

Just now, Island Time said:

The standards makes no allowance for "leisure craft". ABYC E13 OR AUS/NZS 3004. Just because a craft is not inspected doesn't exempt it . Yes I realize a standard itself is not law. 

Yep. My point is that the standard isn't a requirement for leisure craft. Because is not cited by the regulations that apply to leisure craft. 

However, it is legal requirement for commercial vessels that operate under Maritime NZ Rule 60.

7 minutes ago, Island Time said:

Yes, there are situations that could take out all the BMS units together. High (or low voltage) is an example. Much more likely is a single cell tripping one BMS - high or low temp, high or low voltage due to balance or other issues.

Agree 100%.

12 hours ago, Island Time said:

IMO. 

I have checked the fine print in my insurance policy and I can't find any reference to the above standard or anything regarding Lithium batteries, there must be heaps of Lithium batteries installed already especially with the promotion of Drop-In units, we'll see what the future brings  

On 16/04/2024 at 8:16 AM, ballystick said:

I have checked the fine print in my insurance policy and I can't find any reference to the above standard or anything regarding Lithium batteries, there must be heaps of Lithium batteries installed already especially with the promotion of Drop-In units, we'll see what the future brings  

Until you make a claim, the insurance companies are a law under themselves. Its there job not to pay out!

All the above is why I went for lead-carbon over lithium. Much the same reason as why Aardvark when for a kerosene stove over LPG. It avoids a whole lot of compliance issues. Standard charging profile and voltage profile, no need for a BMS and no risk of blowing the alternator in an uncontrolled load dump.

5 hours ago, ballystick said:

Why is it so critical to have an audible alarm for low voltage? This seems to be a regulation for commercial operations or similar.

Because the battery will turn off, possibly at a critical moment - no lights, no nav gear etc. Known as "dark ship". That's what the regs are trying to avoid. 

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, K4309 said:

All the above is why I went for lead-carbon over lithium. Much the same reason as why Aardvark when for a kerosene stove over LPG. It avoids a whole lot of compliance issues. Standard charging profile and voltage profile, no need for a BMS and no risk of blowing the alternator in an uncontrolled load dump.

I have taken multiple sets (3) of lead carbon batts out of customers boats this year - premature failures, all approx 2 years old.. All have gone Lifepo4

• Upvote 1

I have taken multiple sets (3) of lead carbon batts out of customers boats this year - premature failures, all approx 2 years old.. All have gone Lifepo4

What brand?