Pics from the weigh in

rigger

Is there some sort of prize in matching the weight shown in the cell to the name of boat,

heres my go based on the clues provided...

Charelston 818

Putiki 1168

Borderline 1148

This way in 1224

Attitude 1012

Rental 1328

the pics of weights are not all the weights taken - the offical measurer will have the correct weight adjusted for the weight of strops, shackles and other lifting gear.....

OK, time for a dumb question, in my day a scale had a spring or some other thingy for measuring deflection, so how do these tricky gizmos work?

They work on strain gauges, which measure the change in resistance of a tiny piece of wire (each strain gauge has a few pieces of wire in a row, and a load cell has multiple strain gauges and takes an average via a wheatstone bridge). If the length of the small piece of wire increases when load is applied, the cross sectional area decreases and hence the resistance increases. The output of this is strain but a load cell measures force so there is a calibration factor which relates the two.

Is there some sort of prize in matching the weight shown in the cell to the name of boat,

heres my go based on the clues provided...

Charelston 818

Putiki 1168

Borderline 1148

This way in 1224

Attitude 1012

Rental 1328

Sorry bill you are way out on the rental, 1168kg

Would have been good to weigh another GBE as this is probably the moist accurate weigh in that there has been.

They work on strain gauges, which measure the change in resistance of a tiny piece of wire (each strain gauge has a few pieces of wire in a row, and a load cell has multiple strain gauges and takes an average via a wheatstone bridge). If the length of the small piece of wire increases when load is applied, the cross sectional area decreases and hence the resistance increases. The output of this is strain but a load cell measures force so there is a calibration factor which relates the two.

And in this specific case it reads out on a remote head unit, which is the dodacky seen in Riggers photos. As the lead from the cell to the head was a tad short, everyone there a tad short also, Marshie was too much of a woose to let us tape him to one of the sling legs and suspend him many meters in the air to read the head, we had to tape the head on one of the legs hence the odd view of it. But that creativeness along with some good crane driving skills and it all worked out good. Interesting to watch and once the 1st one was sorted the rest were fast and easy peasy.

Was quite a cool experience today actually! Interesting to see the weights of all the boats, and to know that TWU isnt any heavier than the 8.5's :-P

Man that crane is a cool piece of kit!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

You score 100%! The loadcell is even a little smarter than that, and has another strain gauge at 90 degrees to the strain that compensates for temperature effects. These instruments are bloody amazing as they will measure 1 part in 10,000 no problem, from around -5 degrees C to around 50 degrees C. That is great accuracy for a simple bit of kit, invented in the USA to measure the strain on watertank legs in earthquakes. Very linear, very rugged..

The "Crew" 5000kg cell would have handled all these weights no problem and saved KM from disassembling his testing machine. It also has a battery back, wheras I think KMs has to have mains?? Maybe I will have to leave the loadcell kit more centrally located when I am away, say at KM's or North's? I only assembled it for Crew use and it has a nice padded box.. I'll sort this out when I get back.. This is FREE chaps!

The Rinstrum head unit has a TARE button to allow for straps, shackles etc. What you do is hang all that stuff off the loadcell, tare it, (display then reads 000.0) and then lift the boat. This will then give you the weight of the boat only...

Looks like the exersize was a great success. Nice job everyone!!

YEP I agree with you marshy it does look great.. Just don't tell rex or his head may end up as big as his teeth get after he has too many rums.. (his arms get small and retract a bit too!)

Also on that same photo of attitude.. I wonder how much that guy was leaning on the rudder?...

TWU with all sails and sailing gear including personal effects , but not including the weighing strops etc.

(ie how we sail it most weeks)

= 1190kg

Guest mental outlook

Attitude with all sailing gear and the added strops, including main and cover but no other sails, 2 sets of anchoring kit, 10 litres of fuel and a few beers was 978kg.

Archived