The ideal Dinghy

BvanVugt

Hey Guys

Im a uni student looking for some advice as to what sort of dinghys there are racing around Auckland with decent sized fleets

Im looking for something fast like a skiff or catamaran but most of them (12ft, Javelin, Farr 3.7, A-class) dont seem to have much of a fleet, or seem to be sailed my mainly older guys.

Any thoughts for classes that seem to fit the bill?

Or of anyone looking for something similar that could help start a movement for the younger generation coming out of starlings and looking for something more exciting then a Laser.

Cheers

Hard to go past a Jav for Value for Money.

Virtigo is for Sale at the moment- You'd probably get her for $1500-$2000.

12Footer cost a lot more to run but More HP....and thrills again.

Auckland Sailing Club- for both classes- Check out their website and go down on a race day.

Do you have a Crew? You need someone solid to sail with you regularly to get any fun from 2 man skiff...

Don't pick on the old guys, in the laser fleets a lot of "kids" are surprised at the number of old farts finishing in front of them

Kitesurf :thumbup: . And race a keeler/sports boat/multi bigger than an f18. And expect kite-surfing racing to make an NZ appearance if it beats out the RSX for an Olympic spot.

Thanks Guys

I think ill look into the 12ft-er's and Javelins at the Auckland sailing club

What size fleets do the regularly get?

Sorry Squid, its not the fact "old guys" are slow, its more the social side that i want to have similar aged people for.

Plus lasers seem a little boring and as far as i can see the biggest thing going for them is the size of the fleets. I want to learn how to sail well as a precursur to moving on to bigger faster keelboats and multis, such as the mini 6.50's.

As far as the kitesurfing goes i can definately see them taking off but id really like to be able to just start without needing to learn the basics again.

They might be easier then they seem but i doubt it.

And Jollyboat guy all i can do is laugh, jollyboats fast? since when?

Thanks again for the help guys, it seems like everyone has a different opinion and that there really isnt a stand-out class for people like me.

Enjoy yourselves out there and hope to see you on the water soon

you can have my javelin for 1100, beach trailer, warranted road trailer, good dacron main and headsail + carbon headsail ( split seam), all harken and ronstan deck gear, carbon prod, good cond. gennaker

post-10268-141887180431.jpg

Thanks Guys

I think ill look into the 12ft-er's and Javelins at the Auckland sailing club

What size fleets do the regularly get?

Sorry Squid, its not the fact "old guys" are slow, its more the social side that i want to have similar aged people for.

Plus lasers seem a little boring and as far as i can see the biggest thing going for them is the size of the fleets. I want to learn how to sail well as a precursur to moving on to bigger faster keelboats and multis, such as the mini 6.50's.

As far as the kitesurfing goes i can definately see them taking off but id really like to be able to just start without needing to learn the basics again.

They might be easier then they seem but i doubt it.

Thanks again for the help guys, it seems like everyone has a different opinion and that there really isnt a stand-out class for people like me.

Enjoy yourselves out there and hope to see you on the water soon

Looking at the website I think the details aren't that clear.

Pete is probably a good contact to start with

pprecey@absolutemarine.co.nz

(09) 273 9273 wk, (027) 4349 549

Give a call on this boat as a starter

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16540

Also Seem to be a couple of very nice looking boats availaible on Trade me too from $2500 to $6k.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 609767.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 924878.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 044304.htm

Im looking for something fast like a skiff or catamaran but most of them (12ft, Javelin, Farr 3.7, A-class) dont seem to have much of a fleet, or seem to be sailed my mainly older guys.

Cheers

It depends where you go. There are plenty of 12s at ASC.

We now have 4 regular 3.7s at Manly, with regattas about once or twice a month during the summer. So depending on what people are doing, we will often get around 10 at Takapuna, which is more than a lot of classes if you exclude junior classes.

The most Javelins I have seen in one place is 5, wheras they seem to only have 3 that travel often. But I could be wrong on that.

Rotorua sprints had a big fleet of A-classes, which I haven't seen in Auckland. I don't know whether they are local to that area or whether they all travelled for that regatta. Perhaps they like the flat water?

From what I see, the 4 boats you mentioned that "dont have much of a fleet" are the 4 boats you should be looking at. I know the fleets don't compare to the Lasers, OKs and Zephyrs. If you want something different, I can only suggest the Moth, the Weta or the Hobie. Otherwise, maybe an olympic class?

You musn't be doing it right. :)

You wanted a good size competitive fleet and you want to learn to sail before stepping onto something bigger. Jollyboat, Jollyboat.

Speed is relative. You are talking about yachts after all. If you want to go fast, get a motorbike or become a boy racer.

What you want is the thrill factor. For me that is the 3.7. The reason a higher number of older guys sail the boats you mentioned is that most of us no longer have Olympic aspirations so are free to choose boats that we want to sail, not go down an ISAF ordained pathway.

I think the 3.7 gives excellent bang for the buck, an excellent option for Starling graduates, and if you want to race against your young mates, talk them into buying boats as well; and you'll have a better size fleet for all of us.

Incidentally, Hamilton has a predominantly younger fleet of 3.7 sailors - Granddad Elliott excluded!

I take it you haven't actually sailed a Jollyboat then they are pretty quick especially reaching they are a really nice boat to sail a handful in the breeze and extremely tweaky we have some excellent sailors in the class alot of national and even world champs and the racing is tight. Have a go you might be very supprised.

Ive sailed a Jollyboat a few times although it was an older one but i felt it was rather tame with two average sized teens in it.

n the class website i saw they also do single handed sailing and i thought i saw a picture of a guy on a trapeze. Is that normal and what sort of weight ranges are the crews in? im sub 70kg so not exactly a heavy guy.

And Phlash

Speed is relative. You are talking about yachts after all. If you want to go fast, get a motorbike or become a boy racer. !

I totally agree, im looking for a bike too :lol:

But yes as far as sailing goes im looking for something that gives the feel of going fast, im currently crewing on a 45ft'er and it doesnt feel like were going fast till were reaching at over 12kts, a dinghy will always feel faster for the same speed.

This post was mainly to just find out if there were any major classes id overlooked, and if anything skiff like seemed to be up and coming. Looks like currently most of Auckland Skiff sailors are split up amongst a few different classes each with their own positives and negatives.

I might have to go have a think about where i want to end up with my sailing and work back from there, and forget about ever finding a skiff that grows to have anything like Laser size fleets.

Second That. The PT is a great 1 manner and is a s**t load of fun. There is great racing and the inter-dominions are always massive. I've been out of the scene for a few years and outa the country for a bit but I hear they are still going strong. I know I will be looking for one when I eventually get back to the country to supplement keel boat racing. I like going fast and there is plenty of speed and spills to be had on a PT

Yes, but is there a PT fleet based in Auckland?

It seems to be mainly fresh water lake venues on their schedule, which suggests to me that is where they are based.

For a single handed boat in the right target range for those leaving starlings, which is more thrilling than a laser and can be bought for a reasonable price - can't look past a 3.7.

Starling to Skiff is such a huge jump you can probably leave the "competitive fleet" idea off the wish list for a couple of years as I'm guessing from what you've said that you're not at the top of the Starling fleet. Keeping upright for the first few seasons will be your biggest concern. You're a wee bit restricted at 70kg. 3.7's are great fun but not everyone's cup of tea. I left Jolly's for a couple of years but never really got to grips with the 3.7. Says more about me than the boat but there's an awful lot to learn there.

Yip been under 70kg you will struggle in a jolly in fact been under 90kg single handed you have a bit on in the breeze as Mr Zen would atest.

I have sailed 3.7's but to heavy for them to be competitive now.

I'll put my sales mans hat on I have 1o splashe's going cheap if you want one brand spankers and up for any takers. I'll even make a donation to the crew.org if someone off here buys one.

Archived