The ideal Dinghy

BvanVugt

I've sailed one of those down the road at the Chev. Was good fun seeing as I'm only 57kg and can't really sail anything bigger :problem:

Starling to Skiff is such a huge jump you can probably leave the "competitive fleet" idea off the wish list for a couple of years as I'm guessing from what you've said that you're not at the top of the Starling fleet. Keeping upright for the first few seasons will be your biggest concern. You're a wee bit restricted at 70kg. 3.7's are great fun but not everyone's cup of tea. I left Jolly's for a couple of years but never really got to grips with the 3.7. Says more about me than the boat but there's an awful lot to learn there.

To the contrary, I went straight from Starling to Farr 3.7 having never trapezed before and having never been at the front of the fleet.

Sure, there is a lot to learn and I capsized a fair amount - maybe half a dozen times on a windy day before coming in. On the other hand, it didn't take long for me to be competitive in up to 15 knots and I was competitive in the light pretty much straight away. Of course, I'm still not at the front of the fleet as I have world class sailors to aspire to beating.

I was very surprised during my first season when the guys talked me into giving it a go on a very windy day at Takapuna. Even in the Starling, I might have been questioning whether I should go out. I was surprised at how easily the boat could be handled upwind once I was on the wire as I could lie back and luff the main to keep from being overpowered. Downwind/reaching, I stayed off the wire and oversheeted to depower. Like this, I could get the boat around the course. It wasn't competitive but it was easy to do without capsizing.

The mistake people make when thinking about these boats is that having a trapeze makes the boat harder to sail. Sure, it is a technique that will take some time to learn properly... Once you have the technique, you can lie back on the wire and adjust your weight to balance the boat without straining your legs. Reaching requires a bit more agility as you have to adjust quickly to keep the boat balanced while steering through waves. Compare this to a Laser where the more pain you can put up with hiking, the more competitive you will be and I think the 3.7 is the easier boat to compete in and teaches better boat handling - especially at speed.

I think that learning to trapeze is faster in a single handed boat. My reason for this is that you have sole control over the boat and you feel the effect of everything that you do. If anything, I think that sailing the Starling gave me an advantage over having gone the Splash/Laser route as a lot of the techniques I learnt in that boat were transferrable to the 3.7. The sail controls aren't much different and I had already learnt a lot about sailing with a stayed rig. I also knew how to get the boat through a gybe, keep it from death rolling, etc.

I think it is important to say that I enjoyed the transition very much.

Also interesting to note that a Pom recently purchased a top 3.7 over here and shipped it to the UK to sail, and is hoping to get the class going over there.

What does that say about the boat when someone buys one here and takes it to a country where all the modern 1 man designs - Musto Skiffs, RS' etc and Contenders are available to choose from??

And weight wise - I'm 78kgs, but would be a happy man to be at racing the 3.7 at 70kgs. Frustrating to see the smaller guys jumping on the wire while you are still on the sidedeck!

Also interesting to note that a Pom recently purchased a top 3.7 over here and shipped it to the UK to sail, and is hoping to get the class going over there.

What does that say about the boat when someone buys one here and takes it to a country where all the modern 1 man designs - Musto Skiffs, RS' etc and Contenders are available to choose from??

And weight wise - I'm 78kgs, but would be a happy man to be at racing the 3.7 at 70kgs. Frustrating to see the smaller guys jumping on the wire while you are still on the sidedeck!

your not the only one wanting to be about 70kgs, im about 75 so you would still beat me, mainly because i have not sailed in a few months and still learning to keep it up right :)

but on the other hand, i personally think the 3.7 is a good boat for cost..

i picked up mine, with the hull being in fair condition, with a carbon rig, composite sail road and beach trailers for $2500

i sailed a laser before a 3.7, even though i have only been out twice, its not as bigger step as people say.

So what are the options for heavy weights that want to sail dinghys? I'm never going to be get down to 70kgs without amputating a limb or two. Do the Jolly boats work out ok for 100kg+ sailors?

Glad to help you amputate... :D

Mr 203... I believe you bought a brand new rig and got a free hull?

For anyone that's interested - there are a few boats available in the $1500-$2500 range, however I wouldn't expect much carbon anything unless you had a budget a bit closer to $4000. 203 was a particularly good buy.

Mr 203... I believe you bought a brand new rig and got a free hull?

For anyone that's interested - there are a few boats available in the $1500-$2500 range, however I wouldn't expect much carbon anything unless you had a budget a bit closer to $4000. 203 was a particularly good buy.

oh yes, i believe that that was the case?

theres a boat on tm at the moment that has a nice sexy c tech rudder stock i wouldnt mind having myself :) (in my dreams)

haha but yes blackensign that was the case, my deal was a rare one...

So what are the options for heavy weights that want to sail dinghys? I'm never going to be get down to 70kgs without amputating a limb or two. Do the Jolly boats work out ok for 100kg+ sailors?

So you got off Smokey on Sunday in one piece then. Well done you :lol: :lol:

So you got off Smokey on Sunday in one piece then. Well done you :lol: :lol:

Still have all my fingers and everything, although ducking under the boom on SJ during the tacks does remind me of sailing a dinghy!

Hamish

If you want a Jollyboat that would suit your size I am 95kg and sail singles handed in the Jolly and theres guys up to 110 sailing on their own and Mr Zen on here sailing on his own and hes on the lighter side for single handed.

theres a couple of boats up for sale at the moment but preytty much anything you buy needs work on it as good boats very rarely come up for sale the association is working on pricing for new boats at the moment we have full cnc cut kits for anyone that wants to try builidng one them selves also.

Cheers

Gappy

No probs its pretty much half the price to build one your self as we all know labours not cheap. I built mine last years its in at work in Grey Lynn if you want a look one day

Cheers

Blair

a musto skiff eh.. i always wanted one of them. too bad they cost about as much as 3 good piedys combined. lets sea if this guy will trust me with one for a day :wtf:

byron, if you ever feel like going for a sai.. swim next to an i14

When i go sailing Jordan i go sailing not swimming :wink:

Whangarei might be a bit of a trip for me but if im ever up ill def come see how your mini's going and if it suits go out for a sail.

Judging from what ive read around here about you i wouldnt be too keen to let you on a boat of mine though :lol: :lol: :lol:

Archived