new malcoln tennant 10 mtr in tga

here we go people !!!!!

Great paint job, 'c-p' WOW. Sure hope we get lots more pics of it sailing. How about some more info on the mast - lots more details, weight, rigging, boom & controls. Am sure interested!! Thanks - ciao, james

The wing mast is made from an alloy box glued with toughned epoxy glue and riveted. It also has carbon reinforcing. Fore and aft of the box are foam ribs glued to the box. At the front and rear of the ribs are 25 x25 mm shaped wooden spars the length of the mast to attach the sail track at the rear and in the front to attach the ply fairing that forms the aerofoil shape of the mast. Around the ply is a layer of unidirectional glass or carbon and a skinning layer of boat cloth.

waterblaster

The wing mast is made from an alloy box glued with toughned epoxy glue and riveted. It also has carbon reinforcing. Fore and aft of the box are foam ribs glued to the box. At the front and rear of the ribs are 25 x25 mm shaped wooden spars the length of the mast to attach the sail track at the rear and in the front to attach the ply fairing that forms the aerofoil shape of the mast. Around the ply is a layer of unidirectional glass or carbon and a skinning layer of boat cloth.

waterblaster

how are the stays attached to the mast?

Pretty heavy rig. I hope the power created by the wing is worth the weight.

Gooday 'boo' I thought it was a very solid build. We built a wing (1 or 6) way back when - 38' tall (off the deck) x 5' fore & aft @ bottom - 28" @ top ; 14" thick; complete with pivot & all rigging it weighed 100 lbs. It was on a 'B' class cat which are not very wide. I'm sure with todays materials someone could build a much bigger wing with not much more weight. Someone should ask - 't-w' if he could say how much an AC 45 mast weighs. Might be interesting to use as a base-measurement - for starters? I'm not making a downer on their effort - not in any way - just would like to see them go out & kick-butt. Ciao, james

The mast is 15.6m x600mm x230mm

If the information I have heard is correct it appears to weigh 50kg less than the conventional alloy mast on "Fully Charged" which should be the same length.

The mast tangs are attached to 2 alloy channels, back to back, attached to the inside of the alloy box. They run from the main hounds to the gennaker hounds. On the advice of the riggers the main hounds are also glassed to the outer skin.

waterblaster

The mast is 15.6m x600mm x230mm

If the information I have heard is correct it appears to weigh 50kg less than the conventional alloy mast on "Fully Charged" which should be the same length.

The mast tangs are attached to 2 alloy channels, back to back, attached to the inside of the alloy box. They run from the main hounds to the gennaker hounds. On the advice of the riggers the main hounds are also glassed to the outer skin.

waterblaster

Gooday 'w-b' & thanks. Do the main hounds come from each side rather than from a central front position at the same place as the fore-stay???? Are there lower stays or just the upper ones??? Thanks, james

All the stays come to 1 central point on the tang but the riggers put a bar onto it to spread out the stays for ease of eventual replacement of stays.This was not on Malcolm Tennant's drawings.

There is on set of spreaders for the diamonds.

waterblaster.

Archived