Gas fitter?

Terry B

Despite the recent fitting of new windows (very sexy they look as well - and they don't leak), new electrics, batteries, plus numerous other spendiforous items I feel the need to go completely broke..................ssssoooooo

Anybody got a gas fitter with a rough idea about yacht installs?

I've searched the topics but couldn't find anything............

As always, your help is appreciated.

I went down this path a while ago with no joy. None of the tradies seemed very interested.

In the end I did it myself with flexible hose and doubled-up couplings. It was actually bloody easy.

A guy called Norman Anderson of GM Autogas (ph 8387940) 14 Te Pai Place in Henderson supplied and made up the bits for sweet FA and i put it all together.

You could try talking to Peter at Half Moon Bay boat builders. He has a subby that he uses from time to time. He did a reasonable job on my Tracker when I had the vented gas bottle box installed.

Went to a very interesting talk on gas, bottles, installation & Regs etc at Panmure YBC a few years ago.

The gas fitter was very interesting and practical.

I think Grant or Gary was his name, but send a PM to Quarterback and he will put you in touch with him.

Or contact Panmure YBC, John Bennet.

Thanks guys, I'll follow up.

I currently have a flexible hose that runs from the stern bottle locker to the cooker - about 3 metres.

As I understand it, that's too far for flex hose - should be metal tube most of the way..............??

I have a portable gas tester so I use that - but god knows how old the hose is!

I have a portable gas tester so I use that - but god knows how old the hose is!

Get an empty household cleaner bottle with a spray trigger.

Rinse well, then add some water & dishwashing detergent.

Then spray connections / hose etc and if gas is leaking you may see the bubbles.

Cheap easy & safe. Keep in gas locker.

See YNZ Safety Regs Appendix 5 Page 152

:think: :idea: And "Magge, your hands will enjoy soaking in it"

(Old Palmolive TV Advert.)

Hi PaulR, I do all that periodically, but I'd rather replace a hose that looks as though it's about as old as I am than keep checking and waiting for a problem. Hose ain't expensive. And if I'm going to the trouble of replacing it I thought I'd get a gas fitters expert opinion (at least) on what's safe for my installation.

But it looks like everyone just does there own thing.............. kinda strange when LPG is so dangerous..............

And the Yacht regs you point to are common sense (is there such a thing?) and I do those things - but once again, it doesn't prescribe any details on gas fittings.

But I do appreciate the advice. I'm probably being a little too cautious...............??

Never be to cautious.

One BANG and it could all be over, as in Coromandel harbour for 2 people 2 years ago. From YNZ inspector: "Gas did NOT drain out of locker as hole too small, so gas flowed through bulkhead hole into boat interior. BOOM when lit match for morning coffee."

Make sure no worm type hose clips. Don't know why other than somebody could loosen and forget to tighten or never properly tightened to start with.

They want the circular type that is squeezed with plyers. The "nail Puller" type of plyers seem best to me as the force is parallel when closing the metal rings around the hose, as opposed jaws.

The normal pliers e.g. long nose type or sidecutters type apply an uneven force, across the rings so the near side is tighter than the away side.

There are "licenced" gas fitters under the Plumbing Regs.

They can install etc but cannot issue a certificate of compliance, even though they can only do the work. This is one comment I remember from the talk as stated above. So I don't know how you get on to proving compliance should you travel overseas or a safety inspector wants proof.

. . . common sense (is there such a thing?)

Knot knessarily and knot taught at school :!:

Common = "C" grade sense; "A" grade is better :D

Problem is always that we each have a different version of "common".

Further we all need to be using the same information which means information needs to standardised and evenly shared for it to be common.

The problem with plain ole flexible hose is that Gas migrates through it. Very slowly ofcourse, but it does. The reason why Copper should be used is that it doesn't fracture due to vibration like SST tube can and because LPG needs oxygen to burn, a fire onboard can heat up the copper line pretty darn hot without the gas exploding and rupturing the line, where as a plastic hose will melt and then pour Gas into the Fire.

And finally, for Cat 1, your Gas line must be copper.

Brilliant Wheels. Clear as. Makes perfect sense.

Accordingly, I will keep to the yachties mantra - "Have cash, will spend"................

Or in my case, "Run out, will use plastic and hide it from other half".

Calling all gas fitters......... calling all gas fitters....................

HI terry

I used Grant Young do hook up the Gas on pelagian. we did the electrical work to put in a solonoid switch he did the hook up

Grant young 021500993

Kurt

Thanks guys, gas instal done yesterday. If there's a fire on K pier tomorrow night you'll know it was a shoddy job! :lol:

Guys I used were very helpful and understanding of this grumpy old bugger.

Anyone else going to sit on there yachts at Westhaven and watch the fireworks/opening ceremony??

Anyone else going to sit on there yachts at Westhaven and watch the fireworks/opening ceremony??

The fireworks on K pier? Or the fireworks on the harbour? :D

I'll be out there in a 65' Fairline Squadron (stinkpot). They've got food and booze laid on, a skipper, large screen TV and Sky and its a damn sight flasher than our house. Thought it'd be rude to turn down the invitation simply on the basis that its a stinkpot. :wink:

Archived