My 2KSB

johnMi

Last week my humble machine was called a 2KSB which I assume is a derogatory term with the words sh*t and box, but to me she is a thing of beauty.

She may not have the speed of a falcon, rather a fit owl.

When I first got PE I would have called her a duck on Steroids and thanks to one person, my fit owl is giving me countless hours of fun racing and cruising in the Hauraki Gulf

You can laugh and say that I must be getting paid for this splurge, and I am always quick to criticize, but after I was out 10 days ago on the singlehanded race, sailing in winds ranging from 10knots to 30knots without having to reef or adjust sails with absolutely no concerns at all I feel it is time to give credit where credit is due.

PE has always been great in the heavy, but in the light, she was a dog and I felt that I needed new sails.

I mentioned it here on crew.org, and immediately Rodney Keenan replied that he was willing to help me. 1st reaction, typical salesman, but at least he's on the job.

I went to see him

"You don't only need new sails, you need more sail area"

"OK?"

"Look, come back tomorrow, I'll get Bart in here and we'll discuss it further"

And that's what happened, he organised it ALL, told Bart what he wanted blah,blah and so I arrived with my fit owl.

I'm afraid sailing is a passion with me, and over the years I have spent alot of money on sails. Most times I go pick up my new sail from the loft, put it on the boat myself, trial it and take it back for any mods.I once actually got a sailmaker to come down to the 1020 o0n the dock when I bought a new main.

So when Rodney said he needed to go racing with me to try the new sails, I said no, you don't have to do that, just come out for half an hr. But no, he came out for a full day.

He also gave me a lot of tips about sailing multis, what to look for with various issues etc, etc.

Since then, he has often said to me "John, you need to do this", or, "maybe should try..." so when he said "What you really need is a full masthead Kite" I said, "Cmon Rodney, I've just spent $$$$s replacing my main, jib screecher and kite, and you now want me to spend more on another kite, I can't afford it!'

"That's OK" he said " We've got some spare cloth here, we'll make it and just pay it off as you can afford it, no problem." And so I got my masthead kite and am still paying it off.

I go into Evolution sails often (I'm a bit good at trawling my masthead kite) and the size of some of the sails on the floor is amazing.

I asked Rodney, why he bothers with sails my size, and it's cos his heart is in that size boat.

Greame is always very helpful as well, I have never been let down with having sails finished for sailing on a set day, (unlike other trades). He's always happy to listen to my ravings and has also taken photos of my boat on the water and emailed them to me.

The guys on the floor are always friendly, Casey and Richard keen to swap stories of the last simrad or club race, and now Young Aaron is racing with me. Weight for enthusiasm and performance, I reckon I've got the best crew one could have.

So for a 'Goodsort' Trade related entity I would add Evolution Sails to the list that also has Tony Newmarch (sells the best Leadswinger on the market) and Steve Ashley.

Now I think I will take my fit owl (2KSB) for a nice casual sail, maybe around Motuihe, or if the breeze builds a bit, Rakino

See ya

Well John I don't know what a 2KSB is so I googled it and the nearest thing I could come up with is a Neuropeptide Receptor, which is found in human beings. So off to Wikipaedia to find out more:

Neuropeptide Y receptors are a class of G-protein coupled receptors which are activated by the closely related peptide hormones neuropeptide Y, peptide YY and pancreatic polypeptide.[1] These receptors are involved in control of a diverse set of behavioral processes including appetite, circadian rhythm, and anxiety.

Now given that most of us understand appetite and anxiety lets find out what circadian rhythm is about. Again Wikipaedia says:

A circadian rhythm is an endogenously driven roughly 24-hour cycle in biochemical, physiological, or behavioural processes. Circadian rhythms have been widely observed in plants, animals, fungi and cyanobacteria (see bacterial circadian rhythms). The term circadian comes from the Latin circa, meaning "around", and diem or dies, meaning "day". The formal study of biological temporal rhythms such as daily, tidal, weekly, seasonal, and annual rhythms is called chronobiology. Although circadian rhythms are endogenous ("built-in", self-sustained), they are adjusted (entrained) to the environment by external cues called zeitgebers, the primary one of which is daylight.

Somehow I doubt this is anything to do with your fit owl John, but frankly if you love your boat who gives a flying f*ck what anyone else thinks about it?

Good to hear about Rodney et al.

More commonly phrased as 4KSB. Either someone was really working hard to insult John by suggesting his has half the pace of the average one, or there was a miscommunication. Re-Google with a 4 instead of a 2 and you will be much the wiser.

Interesting stuff. My boat has been called a 4KtSB many a time but PE has sailed past me a few times so I'm thinking someone has been reading about Albert E's speed of light theory and maybe has somehow tripped over into some other reality where speed and time are quite different than ours.

The dude who called your vessel a 2KtSB didn't happen to go by the name of 'The Doctor' did he? Probably seen hanging around a blue phone box a fair bit, often with a tidy chick who has a hot accent.

Either that or I am faster than some multis.............. Hmmmmm, knowing I'm knot would suggest the above is the far more realistic option.

AA

You used far too bigger words for me.

My eyes glazed over when I came across 'Neuropeptide Receptor', but a shot of recognition came back with 'appetite' and 'anxiety'. Once again it all went hazy all the way through to 'daylight'. After that I was with you all the way, and I agree with you. Thanks

Unfortunately it was someone who was 'really working hard to insult John' (see other threads) but really I guess I asked for it.

Greg, you seem to know what's up with FBoats, are there any other F24Mk2s in NZ, do you know?

Unfortunately it was someone who was 'really working hard to insult John' (see other threads) but really I guess I asked for it.

It sure doesn't pay to stick your head up sometimes but then as they say 'It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees'.

AA

Greg, you seem to know what's up with FBoats, are there any other F24Mk2s in NZ, do you know?

Ha, I was going to ask you the same question. I'm not aware of any other F24's Mk1 or 2. I think there used to be an F27 moored off devonport about 10 years ago but don't know of any other production (Corsair) Farriers around. Here they mostly seem built from plans.

F25 to F82 evolution - from a bunch of old Multihull Magazines I have...........

c. 1993 The original F25 was 25'6" loa most were built from cedar strip.

c. 1995 Then came the F25C (female moulded kit in balsa/carbon by Colorado Composites) which had a number of alterations one of which was to increase the loa to 26'10" (or 8.2 metres).

c. 1997 Then the F82 (@ 8.2m loa) was introduced and the 25 discontinued.

If you have a troll through the history section of farriers website there is more info.

http://www.f-boat.com/pages/background/history.html

chocolate coated gingernut

{reference to once pouring chocolate on a Ginga with huge tits deleted}

Seeing we are well well off topic :)

But I see we are trying to get back on track. I'll go away now.

chocolate coated gingernut

{reference to once pouring chocolate on a Ginga with huge tits deleted}

Seeing we are well well off topic :)

What the hell :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

anyway back onto topic again :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I love PE and even though I have been partially responsible for shredding one of Johns full mast head kites I love flying the kite. as John said it sails well in a breeze and I love sitting on the floats instead of a rail. I wish there more more boats like PE as it is a great boat to learn on and is great on the handicap. Cant wait to get out on it again tomorrow, but looks like it will be a sleeping night instead of racing :( :( :(

Archived