Useful boating products

I wanted to start a thread to share ideas about useful boating products. (or products not specifically designed for boating but also useful to us)

There are lots of useful little things out there that people pick up in there travels so lets share them. We can all benefit from each others experience. I am not talking big ticked items, just little things that make boating that little bit easier. Racing or cruising.

Here is my one. Its called Damp Rid (use the hanging one as they collect heaps of water). It works great to keep your boat dry over winter

post-11468-141887188532_thumb.jpg

Hey they get cranky and take over the vessel.

I'm using a porta potty for the heads and tried some of these specific stuffs and found them wanting and the Admiral gave me a bottle of bleach which works a treat, no bad smell. I put a cup in the flush water and a cup into the tank and all good.

I've been working on a yacht where the head stinks, enough to make me throw up, seriously. Holding tank type setup so I put half a bottle of bleach into the heads and pumped it through and it worked a treat.

I've found these to be very useful on boats. There are many makes and models to choose from. Something for everyone.

There's always one..... :D

Hey they get cranky and take over the vessel.

I'm using a porta potty for the heads and tried some of these specific stuffs and found them wanting and the Admiral gave me a bottle of bleach which works a treat, no bad smell. I put a cup in the flush water and a cup into the tank and all good.

I've been working on a yacht where the head stinks, enough to make me throw up, seriously. Holding tank type setup so I put half a bottle of bleach into the heads and pumped it through and it worked a treat.

Thats a good tip. How long will it last for?

Nah you don't want any of those aboard - next thing you know they'll be wanting to re-do all the upholstery! :lol:

Classic. We'll make a Doyles customer of you yet!

bbay you know bleach kills all the rubber seals in marine heads? Not advisable. Jus' sayin'. :D

Handy having people around who know that sort of thing, eh?

:D

Royal, I'm using a porta potty type head in mine as the missus wouldn't allow a bucket ( there's another sexual difference ). The bleach seems to be good for a week or two, maybe longer but have not tried. I use the yacht a lot but mainly number one jobs goes in but it can get up a stink.

In relation to the rubber bits on a pump type heads I think I'd still use bleach and replace the bits more often. i wouldn't have the yacht smelling like the inside of a septic tank for quids.

These polyurethane type sealants , glue type stuff you can get from bunnings or hammer hardware. About $13 a tube.

I made a Jarrah pad to fix my rod that holds the transome type transducer. Just glued it to the deck and its holding on like the proverbial. No bolt holes to worry about leaking. The rods jarrah as well and has a foil planed into it. It handled 9 knots the other week.

Yes your dead right Kiwibardy, I think this site is an awsome resource. So many people with a heap of experience. I'm learning heaps and grateful for it.

Something scary about going to the toilet and finding the mouth watering ( re salad dressing).

I was told that dishwashing liquid is good for the seals in the head.

In my piedy days I had a wooden toilet seat with fold up legs. It sat over the bucket and made an exellent loo for the ladies.

You can even row ashore, stick it in the sand and do your business with a view of the bay :thumbup: although I did see a dog having a dig around there the next day :shock:

Try putting your excess salad dressing in the head, the vinegar keeps it smelling sweet and the oil lubrcates all those moving bits.
I must do that. My ring piece is gone all hard and is now hopeless if you want to give it a good pumping or even a long slow one. Even though the main shaft is hard and firm you can pump away as hard as you like but can you get something to fire out the end.... Nope.
Something scary about going to the toilet and finding the mouth watering ( re salad dressing).

Something equally scary about that statement :lol: :lol:

My ring piece is gone all hard and is now hopeless if you want to give it a good pumping or even a long slow one. Even though the main shaft is hard and firm you can pump away as hard as you like but can you get something to fire out the end.... Nope.

Something noit right with that statement either. Eeaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh!!! :sick:

Archived