YNZ Survey

I also believe that we don't realize how lucky we are in NZ at the cost of sailing. Go to Sydney and it's different. Go to Europe and it's even more.

Just an extra data point for you... Here in the US my annual club dues are $60, regatta fees (per weekend of racing) are typically around $60, and individual US Sailing membership is $50. (My club is nomadic - we own no property of our own but sail in different locations each time and either pay our host clubs for use of their facilities or make do without if there isn't one.)

These costs are all pretty small compared with the gas I use driving 1.5-7 hours to each event and hotel or camping expenses. I have no complaints.

Thanks MarkMT

What type of boat do you have, and do you trail it these distances?

Typically most boats are in Marinas in NZ, and those that have trailer yachts wouldn't tow more than an hour, otherwise it would be parked at or near the launch ramp.

Marina Fees can range from about $6000 to $15000 annually for the average boater if it's permenantly in the water, depending on the size, roughly about 5% of the value of the boat, so still quite reasonable

The 'nomadic' club structure is a very good one - SSANZ use that, and the multihull. It means a group of like minded people are sailing together, and able to focus on sailing and organising sailing, rather than bearing the burdens of buildings and infrastructure.

Absolutely! Many years ago the Auckland Hang Gliding Club was the same - we met in a pub once a month. The owners seemed happy enough to have 30 or so people turn up and buy a drink or two each. Life was simple, we just eat, slept, flew...

johnMi wrote:

NZ has the best Americas Cup Skipper EVER.

KnotMe wrote:

I do believe John Bertrand is actually Australian.

You don't really mean that KM, do you?

Of course. He* broke the oldest winning streak in the history of ALL sport in the entire known universe, who's done better than that?

* - working on your very shallow theory 1 lone man can win a AC in the 1st place. Also working on the myth the AC is a contest between nations.

Rising costs are an issue and I'd suggest one that is reducing some sections of NZ's fleets, some we used to be very strong in. In some areas YNZ sure isn't helping that at all and doesn't appear to be at all concerned about it. Something they need to be careful a bit with, or do if they don't want to be left with just harbour racing and Olympics only.

There is a perception by some they are turning from advocates and promoters to bureaucrats. After that comes petty bureaucrats and at that stage they along with all of us will suffer and YNZ will lose it's relevance completely.

Knot all rising costs are directly YNZ related but many large ones are in some sectors. Some of those are purely 'they told us too' rather than based on history or need. The more 'they told us too' they chuck out, again the less relevance they have. But it's nothing many other sports or sectors of our lives are copping. Look at some of those that are more advanced down the petty bureaucracy route and you'll see they are or are starting to be ignored by the people they are supposed to be aimed at. Something I think YNZ does need to keep in mind.

If I was the YNZ boss I'd be concentrating on 2 things -

1 - Communication. They have Briefings and the likes. How about they include 'Last week 2 of us went to see the Minister in Welly about the XX and told him he was a dick head because xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'. Let the punters see the stuff happening behind the scenes. That would give more an idea who their money is being spent.

2 - Sailing for NZers in NZ in the way NZers do it. If someone comes up with a silly idea that maybe fine in the US or Italy but sort of goes against NZ's style don't lay down and just take it, say No. We boat differently in differing waters and often with a differing mind-set than many other places so we should blindly follow their lead if it's going to be NZ negative. YNZ needs to exhibit some balls and stand up for the average NZ yachter. If ISAF for example comes up with plan YNZ has to make sure it'll be NZ friendly or easily NZ workable before they accept it also, I'd suggest that hasn't always been the case in some situations in the last decade.

I suppose I could say it thus 'don't homogenise NZ into the same puddle as the rest of the world'. NZ has done spectacularly well over the years in yachting, why? We are geographically isolated and have been forced to do it the NZ way. It work and worked damn well. These days as we get drawn, by YNZ, closer and closer to the thinking they have in say Europe our dominance, ingenuity, creativity, self help, 'just get on and do it' is fading. Is that good for NZ? I'd suggest it's knot.

I am writing with the mind thinking more extended sailing rather than off the beach or in the ditch local club type stuff. But a lot does apply across the board.

I don't think YNZ is broken but I do think it's fraying at the edges a little and there isn't an overlocker seen close by.

Oh f*ck me... should I know what an overlocker is? Sadly I do.

Thanks MarkMT

What type of boat do you have, and do you trail it these distances?

I sail a Falcon F16 catamaran and yes I tow it 1.5-7 hours followed by 2-3 hours set up time every time I go sailing. Yes I am crazy, but I am happy :). Awesome boat and awesome club.

40D_IMG_0363.CR2.jpg

I don't think YNZ is broken but I do think it's fraying at the edges a little and there isn't an overlocker seen close by.

What YNZ should really do would be to have a survey, say 3 options with provision for comments or suggestions :lol:

Archived