Cruising Marlborough Sounds

Mrs and I were thinking of trying this in late January/ Feb- looking for a bareboat charter (smallish) for the two of us. Not too fussy about launch or yacht.

Any suggestions/ recommendations/horror stories out there?

"Hauraki Gulf, where else would you be?" Marlborough Sounds!!!! I miss it so much.

You have two choices down there for charter. Compass Charters based in Picton/Wiakawa are more expensive, but a very well run company. Havelock sea charters is a smaller business now under new management. I don't know what they have in regards to sail boats as the yacht Apparatief, I last spied was up here in Auckland. But worth a call. The new oparators are a lovely couple and should make it a great experience.

Queen Charlotte sound is better for Sailing and you can cruise around to Pelorus if you want to take a look. QC is beautiful, but is all the same. Pelorus is not so good for sailing, but it is far bigger with spectacular places to explore and every place is different. You can spend months and months. We spent seven years and still have places we never ovenighted in.

Another company is Charter Link who also operate out of Waikawa(Picton). Have bareboat chartered with them myself a couple of times now. Have only had good experiences with them and would happily sail with them again. The operators are friendly and helpful and the boats appear to be well kitted out and maintained.

There was a small charter company in Portage that had Noelex 25's at very resonable prices, and the Portage hotel is/was a great place to spend the night before or after a charter. Beautiful views, great bar and the food was brilliant

There was a small charter company in Portage that had Noelex 25's at very resonable prices, and the Portage hotel is/was a great place to spend the night before or after a charter. Beautiful views, great bar and the food was brilliant

Shame then that Portage Hotel is now in receivership.

Shame then that Portage Hotel is now in receivership.

But the company renting the yachts out is not connected to the Portage

The place that hired the noelex's sold them near a year ago. One has lived off the end of the marina break water ever since :thumbdown: I have delt with both waikawa charter places alot,and strongly reccomend charterlink. They have a few different small yachts and launched available too. Are you really going to ask yacht or launch on this forum? :D Most people seem to like the peace and quiet out there, something not found anywhere near a charter boats diesel :lol: there is also no where to rush to in a hurry, so why not hope for at least one nice sail :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: cheers.

Archived