Help me buy a boat.

oliver

Wheels is the limit 4.5tonne for vehicle and trailer(with boat) before you need an HT licence

Its often not this limit which is the issue, but overloading of the particular tow vehicle. For example, a Commodore or Falcon might be considered by many to be a good tow vehicle whilst also being a good family car. .Then they want to tow the 21' boat, or a couple of horses in a float. What they forget is that the braked trailer weights for either of those is, I think, not more than 1800Kg, although you can upgrade them if need be. My Disco3 can tow 3.5T. And weighs 2.5T. so well over the 4.5T max of a standard license. People get caught out on that too. My farm ute ( Ford Ranger ) can tow 3T and weighs about 2T. Again, over the limit. Every year the police do a big blitz around the Kaimais and Thames coast, generally catching lots of people with boats that weigh 2T on the trailer, loaded with all sorts of holiday goods, the tow vehicle well and truly stuffed to the brim, and often they are 2T or more over the GVM that they are allowed.

Aaaaaaaahh, trailers!

I bought a 25' trailer sailer 6 years ago. Had fun in her until I sold and bought a keeler early this year.

When I bought the trailer sailer, I got a professional survey done. Well worth it.

BUT, I didn't get anyone to look at the trailer. After all, I was buying a yacht, right?

And, at $20K for boat and trailer, the trailer is worth just under 1/2 of the entire package. I know this because it needed total replacement after I had the boat for only 3 years.

Try explaining $8,500 for a double axle, fully braked trailer to your better half!!

My point is, trailers bring all sorts of costs and maintenance issues. All manageable, but you need to go into it with eyes wide open.

And, if you do buy a trailer sailer, get someone who knows what they're doing to have a REAL good look at the trailer - before the purchase.

And look after the trailer - wash it EVERY time you use it.

My tuppence worth (or should that be $8,500 :roll: )

Yep good stuff there Terry. Many get a hell of a shock with Trailer replacement and even repairs. although I have always found that once you start having to repair a boat trailer, it's pretty much stuffed.

TooTall, another one people with 4Wd's forget about is that they can easily go over the tare weight their RUC is rated for. Many have a 2.5t RUC and when the vehicle is all loaded, they are easily over the 2.5T and those with Patrols etc, can be well over 3t fully loaded.

Anyway's, my comment about a keeler instead of trailer sailor isn't about the ability of sailing across the Strait, they are quite capable. It is just having a few nicities like a sink and a cooker and so on.

You guys have given me plenty to think about, cheers. I will approach old trailers with as much caution as I do old yachts. I must say, the idea of trundling down to a boat that was ready to go for a quick sail on a nice day appeals, rather than spending time launching and rigging. If there was a Variant or a Reactor or similar on trademe within weekend driving around distance from Lower Hutt I'd be going to check it out.

There are many options to consider. I also am in Wellington and thought a small trailer sailor would be good and started with a 18 foot Kestrel, as they are going quite cheap, but after one season I came to the conclusion that they are too light and not ballasted well enough for the often boisterous wellington conditions. So sold that and looked around at other options, my experience with the Kestrel convinced me that I wanted something with a weighted keel such as the Nolex for maximum stability. I was thinking of a Nolex 22 or Aquarius 22, but ended up buying a 25 foot trailer sailor, which meant getting a bigger towing vehicle and it is a lot harder to raise/lower the mast and launch/retrieve. This yacht needed some work but I am probably going to get it in the water in the next few weeks, you can come along if you want.

The other option I was going to mention was have you looked at leaving the yacht parked on its trailer in a trailer sailor park at a boat club. Then the mast can be left up, so there is no trailing or setting up, and the trailer can be left with no reg or wof it you are not towing it any where else. I keep mine at home but sometimes think it would be easier to leave it at the marina.

I did think of leaving a trailer sailer at Seaview, which is really close to home for me. The more I look at Reactors, Ravens etc though, the more I think I'd be happier with a small keeler on a swing or pile mooring. It's a pity it's a smaller market here in Wellington than Auckland, there are a few on Trademe up there that would be worth a look. Anyone know someone with a small keeler growing weeds in Wellington that should really be out sailing with a family? There are a few in Seaview that look like they need someone to clean them up and take them out...

It is not a major to sail a reactor from Auckland to Wellington, just a matter of giving yourself time so you are under no pressure and waiting for a good weather window. Very do'able. Make sure you have a blue water crew with you though, you don't want them setting of the epirb while you have a nap. :D :D

I did find that helpful, and have been thinking further. I'm seriously looking for a small keeler now, see my ad in the classifieds. I'm going to try to have a look at a couple of Picton boats this summer.

What about dropping a note on likely boats in the local marina? Rude? Worth a go? I'd really like to buy a local boat because it's easier to have plenty of time to check it out.

Right, I am in Nelson for the week and between entertaining kids and hanging out with family am looking at boats. I've got a Tracker in Waikawa to visit some time, a bilge keeled Variant in Motueka and a Harmonic in Nelson as the first three prospects to try. We were supposed to take the Tracker for an afternoon family sail with the owner yesterday but the weather was rubbish.

What are Harmonics like? From the pics they look like quickish little boats. Would one make for comfortable family sailing?

The Harmonics came in two basic variations, one with virtually no headroom and a kind of curved deck - the race version, and the other had a cabin which gave it some headroom. Changed is your man if he's lurking about as he had one for years. My guess given the wide saucer shape of them is that upwind you'd need to keep them fairly flat or they'd be a bit of a handful to keep pointing the right direction. Might make them less than salubrious on a windy beat, but downwind I suspect they'll get along nicely.

Bilge keeler Variant? That depends on how keen you are on sailing performance or if draught is a real issue. If you want the boat to go upwind at all well then a bilge keeled anything isn't the way to go. The benefit of a bilge keeled boat is that it can be beached easily and it will sit upright quite nicely, then when the tide goes out you can clean the underside etc. But they don't sail so well. Variants are nice little boats and the fin keeled versions sail fine. The design is getting on in years now but Alan Wright has put more people into sailing boats than any other designer in NZ.

The same can be said of the Tracker. Nice little boats, well mannered, sail well. It will have good resale value too. Fin keeled version?

Other people here will know of specific things to look for with these designs. They are all getting old now so you need to look at them very carefully and if you don't know what to look for then get someone who does as even an inexpensive purchase price boat can cost alot of money to repair as boatbuilder rates don't vary with the age or value of the boat.

All the best with your hunt.

I had a flush deck Harmonic for 10 years. Hard to find another boat that size with as much lounging room inside. Easy to sail, and can get along ok with decent sails (AA is right they are better kept on their feet in a blow). The original box cabin version looked a bit ugly (was designed by the builder) but has significantly improved headroom over the 'racing' version.

There is a third model. After Hal Wagstaff gained posession of the moulds he designed a new version with cabin in more of a wedge shape, more freeboard aft and a rig with a proportionately larger main. IIRC the last dozen or so boats had this configuration. Jump from a flush decker on to one of these and you'll swear you are on a completely different boat. If I was going to buy another Harmonic I would definitely hunt one of these down. There is one for sale in Picton at the moment.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 192220.htm

harmonic 24 final version.jpg

Harmonic box cabin.jpg

Ye olde bus.jpg

If it's a Catalina you're after, and I agree, they stack up pretty well, one of the Weiti club members has one for sale. See the link below. It's the second ad on the page.

http://www.weiti.co.nz/Brokerage.htm

That Catalina sounds interesting, I have to check it out :)

The Sunarmor comes from the sky to protect everything from getting wet.

Archived