Thoughts on insurance companies

Hey everyone- Just wanting some feedback on boat insurance options, good/bad experiences with different companies. I Filled in a online form with the brokers PIC, they recommended NZI giving the best terms- though they seem to be a little pricier than some other quotes from the likes of Mariner that I've had. We don't intend to race and mostly just coastal cruising- though would like to head off to the islands at some point next year.

Cheers

Steve.

Mariner. Awesome service, good rates. Contact Aaron Mortimer. The ad is to the right on this page! I shopped around and they gave the best rate. I have also just had a claim and been treated very well, and quickly. Very very good!

I Have had great service from Dan and the team at PIC, they showed me 3 different plocies of which i chose the NZI policy and couldnt be happier. Most of the BBYC Boats are with PIC and also most of the SR26 fleet and havent heard a bad word yet despite plenty of claims i have seen. :-)

I Have had great service from Dan and the team at PIC, they showed me 3 different plocies of which i chose the NZI policy and couldnt be happier. Most of the BBYC Boats are with PIC and also most of the SR26 fleet and havent heard a bad word yet despite plenty of claims i have seen. :-)

I'm the same. I have a NZI policy through PIC and both Dan and NZI have been fantastic with a recent claim I had. Dan showed me three different policies at varying price vs. coverage options. NZI was the most comprehensive and it has been well worth it.

Im with NZI via PIC as well. Ive never claimed so i cant speak for their service.

Dont count on offshore cover being affordable. I had a brief look at it and decided that if i head offshore, I'lll be going un-insured and sucking up the risk.

How about some numbers ?

Insurance co../ boat type size / amount insured for / inshore - offshore/ conditions of insurance (ie out of water survey etc) ..

and the premium per year.

...some examples direct from the insurance companies would be appreciated too...

after all that is what we all realy want to know :D

Thanks to you all for a quick response about the insurance options.

For the record she's a $100K Lidgard 35. She has done a circumnavigation and plenty of time in the pacific + a recent survey confirmed she is sound. Tuffy Luffy- Interesting about your comment for offshore insurance- I expected it to be quite steep but then to go un-insured could be a whole lot more expensive. I guess that's just one of those individaul calls to be made. A couple of the companies want me to specify approx value of various items- hull, engine, rig, electronics etc- though as any boatie knows if you have to replace individual items it's going to add to about 3 times the cost of the "total boat package." on the current market. I had a new rig alone quoted as being about $35K... Not exactly sure how this all works- If I value my rig at 20-30 K it doesn't leave a lot for everything else.

Cheers Steve.

I also have a Lidgard 35 (Duthie not John as I suspect yours is). I'm with NZI via Baileys - have been for several years, very happy with setup. Suggest a call to Neil Bailey would get you on track. And yes NZI was more expensive but the T&Cs suited me slightly better and I also workled for the parent company of NZI at the time, so sorting any problems would be potentially easier. Having subsquently changed employer I've kepy my insurance with NZI.

I think I pay approx. $900.

How about some numbers ?

Insurance co../ boat type size / amount insured for / inshore - offshore/ conditions of insurance (ie out of water survey etc) ..

and the premium per year.

...some examples direct from the insurance companies would be appreciated too...

after all that is what we all realy want to know :D

Full racing insurance 200 miles offshore off the top of my head. 40 footer. $165K $1200 pa. Mariner. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Now stop whinging about no replies. :D :D

Now stop whinging about no replies. :D :D

....and thanks to both of you :D

I will tabulate the results...do some number crunching and put it in graph form so everybody can use the data to make reasonable comparisons...

Archived