Solar Panels -the inside info....?

1paulg

In the process of looking at options for solar panels for a cruising Cat.....the newer walk on ones seem "nicer" cosmetically and dont need a support frame but are a little more expensive as a result - I guess compensated by the fact that the space they take on the cabin top can still be utilised if necessary for working on the main etc...

Anyone have experience or knowledge of best ones to get....

Hopefully looking to get about 250+ watt capacity....which with the walk on type means about 4 panels....

Hi Paul?

I don't know who or what is the best but I do know this guy (Pierre) supplied me great gear - 125watt panel + controller at good price and he knows his subject.

http://www.aasolar.co.nz/

I intended getting a second one but have never needed it - this runs electric fridge/freezer, autohelm etc. - I have been at anchor for 7 days and never needed to run engine charging.

However I do have ALL led lighting which helps a lot.

One thing to watch for is shading - e.g. 10% shade on panel, say from a boom, will knock 90% + efficiency - 1 seagull on panel will drop it from 9amp charge to nothing!!

NB: I have no connection with this company - just a happy client as also bought great hybrid batteries from him.

Thanks L'escale - I had heard about that company as well...their pricing is good ..will go and have a look - my main concern with that product is the size of the panel and cosmetic appearance -but as I said havent seen it in the flesh yet ...

The walk on top ones that Lustys have look great while seeming to have an approx 15% efficiency loss to those of AA which is still aceptable...no decisions yet ..

Cheers

Paul

AASolar seem to be hard to beat on price. I have a friend that has bought two 185W panels plus a Regulator for them all for aprox $1300.00. No one else comes close to that. He is over the moon with them. But I keep trying to work out what is wrong, why so cheap. There are a couple of comments, like the manufacturer produces so many and that the AA guy is not making much mark up.

I have been trying to research panel designs to work out why some are expensive and some cheap and if that comes from a quality issue or design or what and also what kind of "chip" layout works better than others. But I just can not find any info on side by side comparisons of panels.

What I have found are comments about the Glass quality. Just because you can see through it apparently is not all the story. To the Sun bugs, some glass is better than others. One big change in recent years is that Plasma TV has resulted in Glass being available that has a very high light transmission ability and that has increased panels output and lowered price.

What I have not been able to find, is the new generation panels that are supposedly being made now. There has been lots of talk for a few years now, but I am yet to find anyone selling them. The one that really interests me is the panel that takes a very wide light bandwidth well up into UV and down into the IR ranges. Plus the new chips that are supposed to make panels ultra cheap. They just are not on the market it seems. There is lots and lots of info about new generation stuff that will turn the world on it's head for solar panel technology, but nothing seems to be coming of it.

Apparently the mono crystalline technology is better than the poly crystalline variety - I am not a tech expert but have heard this from a few sources....

One concern - as pointed out by L'escale - is that the position for it is on the aft part of the cabin top - either side of the boom - this would give shading with particular angles- the salesman at Lustys said it isnt a problem with theirs... but it does seem to be a problem for a lot of people who have put other systems in - could be just sales talk ...would be interesting to hear from someone who has put Lustys system in -is called Sunware...

Monocrystalline solar panels : The most efficient and expensive solar panels are made with Monocrystalline cells. These solar cells use very pure silicon and involve a complicated crystal growth process. Long silicon rods are produced which are cut into slices of .2 to .4 mm thick discs or wafers which are then processed into individual cells that are wired together in the solar panel.

Polycrystalline solar panels : Often called Multi-crystalline, solar panels made with Polycrystalline cells are a little less expensive & slightly less efficient than Monocrystalline cells because the cells are not grown in single crystals but in a large block of many crystals. This is what gives them that striking shattered glass appearance. Like Monocrystalline cells, they are also then sliced into wafers to produce the individual cells that make up the solar panel.

Amorphous solar panels : These are not really crystals, but a thin layer of silicon deposited on a base material such as metal or glass to create the solar panel. These Amorphous solar panels are much cheaper, but their energy efficiency is also much less so more square footage is required to produce the same amount of power as the Monocrystalline or Polycrystalline type of solar panel. Amorphous solar panels can even be made into long sheets of roofing material to cover large areas of a south facing roof surface.

To make panels "shade proof" is usually the way they are internally wired. They connect the wafers in a series parrellel combination so that if a shadow should fall on the panel, other cells in sunlight will continue to produce power.

I do have to say, those Sunware panels are flamin expensive. they would have to be able to output a heck of a lot more oomph to make them value of watt per area. However, they have the unique feature of being very thin and will handle being walked on in boat shoes.

on solar panels they seem to last forever I have resurrected a couple of dead panels that had salt water[ been underwater] in the connection box at the back of the panel and the wires had corroded away to green dust. From the back of the panel You just cut away the plastic around that area until you find the remains of the 2 copper strips that went to the outlet wires, ID with a multimeter solder on 2 new wires and then seal with silicon or fit a new connection box if required and presto shes good to go again. :thumbup:

Have you looked on eBay?

I recently purchased a 40w panel and a 2 battery bank regulator with remote monitor for approx AU$160.

I havent had it installed it yet so i cant speak for its performance.

Might be worth a look

Thanks Guys for the posts - all helps..espec Wheels...yes you are paying a premium for the cosmetics of the Sunware product..but as some products are decidely visually unfriendly for an environamentally friendly product guess some sort of premium is justified -just a matter of how much...! be good to hear from someone who has bought the sunware product on how it is performing

Archived