Holding tank tips

Vivaldi

Hi All,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on keeping the holding tank in a reasonably non-smelly condition. what's the best way to leave it after a cruise - completely empty? or flush a bit of fresh water into it?

When I bought the boat there was a bottle of "Aqua Kem Blue" sitting in the toilet area, but I'm not sure how that would affect the seals in the pumps.

Any suggestions apreciated. We are planning to make our 1st ever trip to the Barrier next week :) . Hope the weather improves a bit.

Regards

Paul

I tend to leave mine empty after a good flushing through of sea water. After particularly heavy use I sometimes squirt a dose of detergent into the toilet and fill the holding tank up, then flush out again with sea water to freshen it up. But then leave it empty. No problems with seals or smells.

The first big point is ventilation. Make sure you have good ventalation via a decent size breather. This keeps those little anearobic critters doing their Aerobic exercises and helps to reduce the smell. There are additives you can chuck in that are basicaly more of those little health nut critters so as the party gets rockin earlier.

The other thing is to empty the tank, out in deep water well away from the shore ofcourse, and especially when you come in from a trip and leave the boat locked up. If you really want to flush the tank, use fresh water. That's all, just fresh water. Saltwater still have the little critters and they die and then stink the boat up.

I can't say about the chemical additive for portapotties, because I think that stuff is a party killer rather than life of the party. Not sure, i may be wrong there.

I agree with Wheels. In addition I fill the inlet hose with fresh water, and add a little "Biomagic" (from any of the swindleries) to the tank - it smells nice and allegedly helps with maintaining an aerobic environment. Occasionally a bit of vinegar to 'decalcify' and some vegetable oil to keep the pump lubricated.

I had trouble getting rid of the sulphurous smell initially but a dose of bleach into the inlet piping sorted that. Now all it needs is fresh water.

bio magic is good, good ventilation with a charcoal filter inline and in an easy place to replace or service as you will one day over fill the tank and send stuff up the ventilation pipe! Dont oversize the pipe from the head to the tank either. I discovered the hard way what happens after a few years when crap sits in the pipes!! Flush with white vinegar once a year to help break down all the stuff that calcifies etc in the pipes.

I recall reading an article in a magazine that suggested the installation of a T joint in the head inlet pipe connected somehow to the wash hand basin (I spose anther T) with a tap in between so that you could fill the sink with some biomagic or similar bad bug killer, close the head inlet, open the tap and fill the inlet pipe with biomagic, pump that through the system and it resolved smell issues.

As i remember things they suggested that the bacteria in the sea water combined with the bacteria normally resident in the holding tank eventually begin to fester and pong - this system effectively resolved that issue.

Anttay, you sound like you have this set up already. How did you go about it?

I recall reading an article in a magazine that suggested the installation of a T joint in the head inlet pipe connected somehow to the wash hand basin (I spose anther T) with a tap in between so that you could fill the sink with some biomagic or similar bad bug killer, close the head inlet, open the tap and fill the inlet pipe with biomagic, pump that through the system and it resolved smell issues.

As i remember things they suggested that the bacteria in the sea water combined with the bacteria normally resident in the holding tank eventually begin to fester and pong - this system effectively resolved that issue.

Anttay, you sound like you have this set up already. How did you go about it?

Just as you say - the hand basin outlet plumbs to the same through-hull as the head inlet with a 3-way valve. I close off the sea water inlet, throw a bucket of fresh water into the basin and give a few pumps of the head until basin is just empty and inlet hoses full of fresh water. I do this after every trip.

It is the sea bacteria/algae decomposing in the inlet hoses (without any human waste) that gives the rotten egg smell. NB clear hoses exposed to light will allow fresh water algae to grow in them - change the hose/ cover it, or, if you really must, a bit of bleach until they are dead and then clear it from the whole system. Bleach apparently hardens the rubber of the flap valve so use with care.

Biomagic is not a 'bad bug' (anaerobes) killer, it allows the good bugs (aerobes) in the human waste to thrive - so no need for Biomagic in the inlet limb, just into the holding tank (a small capfull via the head after each visit). Also keep away from the 'bug killing' Harpic's and 'Toilet ducks' as they kill the good bugs and allow the sh*t to fester in the tank and make awful smells.

Simple really - keep the sea-borne algae/bacteria out of the inlet hose, and keep the good 'sh*t bacteria' in the holding tank alive and well oxygenated.

Cheers

I'm not sure about resolving it but it certainly helps control the smell somewhat. The 1020's use the same seacock for both tiolet inlet and bathroom sink outlet with a seacock that has two attachment points. This means that at the end of the cruise we can empty the holding tank, fill the bathroom sink with fresh water and some biomagic and pump it into the holding tank via the toilet.

Personally I squirt a bit of biomagic into the toilet most time I use it to keep the oxygen levels up in the holding tank and pipes. Like the others I also put in a bit of cooking oil to keep the pumps seals lubed and ocassionally put in some white vinager for the calcium buildup.

I'm happy to post pictures of the 1020 seacock arrangement once we are back from holiday if interested.

\ The 1020's use the same seacock for both tiolet inlet and bathroom sink outlet with a seacock that has two attachment points.

Wouldnt wanna get that one round the wrong way...

sort of on topic in an offbeat way, a few have mentioned vinegar to break down calcium deposits, how would this work in an outboard motor (2 HP ) that's been left too long immersed( ie leg in water constantly) and has signs of coral etc, would vinegar actually acheive anything with regard to breaking this down as these motors can be flushed in a bucket so neat treating with vinegar wouldnt be an issue

Thanks for the tips everyone. I've traced the source of the smell I think - there was a small leak around the vent connection and when the tank is full to capacity liquid was oozing its way into the bilge. Spent an evening in Te Kouma sponging it out of the bilge. :D More alcohol was required afterwards.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I've traced the source of the smell I think - there was a small leak around the vent connection and when the tank is full to capacity liquid was oozing its way into the bilge. Spent an evening in Te Kouma sponging it out of the bilge. :D More alcohol was required afterwards.

mental picture beggars belief, errrr oooks

Archived