Epoxy and bulb keel bolts

Of course you would be thinking that Vorpal..... but then when my spreaders are at water level I'll be thinking yep, good decision overall although I do understand your fascination with multis. Totally understand. :D

Royale and Col -the standard E7.4 bulb is 420kg so ever so slightly less mass, was massively stiff anyway.

Actually there is a whole bunch of us in another thread thinking "why the f*c% would you put something that heavy on your boat!"

Well ya see, "real" boats can take the weight and even make them go faster. Unlike those boats that need the spare hull/s which slow down proportionaly to any increases in weight :wink: :twisted:

Hey There EE, enjoying your thread and pictures, keep em coming.

I am new to the board and just noticed your thread and couldnt help joining up and posting! I also have an E7.4 with the "Dog of a jandal" removed and replaced with a nice slik 400kG Bulb. But my boat has a "Dog of a Knock".

Was wondering since you had your bulb and fin off if you planned on sorting out the packing around the fin? I would be very keen to know what your packing arrangement is? My fin has about 5mm clearance to the hull and when the boat is driving into a sea due to the relative resistance of the boat and the bulb to the waves the Knock is quite disturbing!

Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers Kane

Welcome aboard Kane,

The knocking fore and aft probably means the uhmwpe shim at the rear of the fin is compressed allowing a little play. See the attached pic - old vs. new, the old one (lower) is the one with the dent in it on the LH side, this shims the trailing edge of the foil, its made from 15mm uhmwpe sheet, routered with a radius on the top edges. Get underneath when its on the trailer and see if its dented, if it is unbolt it and make a new one to take out any play. uhmwpe is available through Mulford Engineering Plastics (via their off-cut bin) 12 Henderson Place, Penrose. They are good people.

Good luck.

EE

post-903-141887194281.jpg

Hey there

Thanks very much for the photos EE. This is very interesting, I can see we are barking up the same tree here, we already have the bottom paker off. I was wondering when we make up a new packer if we should install it tight to the back of the fin or with approx 1mm clearance between packer and rear of fin?

We have also been experimenting with packing the top of the fin to tighten that end of it up.

One further question, is it normal to pin your fin in the lowered position incase of a "deathroll"? Looks like our boat has a stripped out hole in the front of the fin casing that looked like it may have been used for something like this in the past.

Thanks Heaps

Kane

I would be making it firm against the trailing edge of the fin, uhmwpe is very slippery like teflon so it should slid up and down pretty easily but that's dependent on how consistent the fin dimensions are.

No pin on Energy - Hydraulic lifting so we just lock off the valve and it wont be going anywhere if we were unlucky enough to go anywhere near upside down.

Wheres your E7.4 based?

Just in time for the fine weather....slow progress and been busy at work and taking my time with this so its absolutely 120%. Should be back in the boat this week and onto a brand new trailer. The old one was rooted and wouldnt take a bulb....

EE

post-903-14188719499.jpg

It was pretty sea-kindly to cruise with, seemed to stop the boat pumping up and down a wee bit but that's about all. Also less clearance required for trailering, the boat will sit 130mm higher on the new trailer with the bulb but I have just built a 3.5 m sliding drawbar into the trailer so launching wont be a problem,

Don't think it was for beaching - why bother, just put it back on the trailer, pretty sure it would topple over.

old...

What a pig. Was a significant journey to remove.

:sick: :sick: :sick:

The new one is so much nice looking aswell, Can i ask, what is the reason behind changing?

So is this the point where we start the picking holes and comments of how it should be done different?? :wink: :wink: :lol:

Not if you want an invite to her re-launching party Wheels :D

Cheers Smithy!

Archived